|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long could the Nearings harvest their fall garden?
(a) Throughout the winter.
(b) For about 2 weeks.
(c) For 2 or 3 days.
(d) For 2 to 3 months until night frosts were sufficiently severe.
2. Forrest Tyson, who did the electrical work on the house in Maine was a teacher where?
(b) New York.
(c) Philidelphia public schools.
(d) University of Hartford.
3. How could a competent wood worker determine where a tree would fall?
(a) By listening to the wood as it is chopped.
(b) By guessing.
(c) By properly notching and sawing the tree.
(d) By pushing it in the right direction.
4. Why did the Nearings want a pond?
(a) For swimming and ice skating and as a source of irrigation for the garden.
(b) For bathing.
(c) For fresh water.
(d) For fishing.
5. Within 5 weeks, how hot would the compost pile get?
(a) 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
(b) 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
(c) 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
(d) 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Nearings build their greenhouses out of?
2. What purpose do the stones serve in the greenhouse?
3. Who did all the pointing work on the house in Maine?
4. When the Nearings sent samples of their garden soil to be analyzed by the University of Maine, what were the results?
5. How did Bretton Brubaker get from his home in Ohio to the farm in Maine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changed in the attitudes of the community in Vermont during and after WWII?
2. Describe the house in Maine.
3. Why did the Nearings decide to move from Vermont? What had happened to the community they had lived in for 20 years?
4. How did Scott Nearing remove a large tree?
5. What kinds of visitors did the Nearings have at their farms.
6. What were the Nearings thoughts on cold-weather planting?
7. How did the Nearings build a greenhouse? What were the important things to consider?
8. What did the Nearings continue to find on the farm?
9. How did the Nearings feel as they began to age about life?
10. How were the Nearings gardens like Japanese gardens?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)