|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did all the pointing work on the house in Maine?
2. How long do rhubarb and asparagus beds last before they must be rotated?
(a) A decade or more.
(b) Two growing seasons.
(c) Three months.
(d) One year.
3. What was Hancock County, Maine known for?
(a) As the "seaside getaway" county
(b) As one of Maine's "blueberry counties."
(c) As the "apple orchard" county.
(d) As the "ski resort" county.
4. In Maine, what would an average family of 4 or 5 adults and children require to produce a minimum amount of vegetables?
(a) A quarter-acre.
(b) A half-acre.
(c) An acre.
(d) 70 acres.
5. When the Nearings planted their first garden in Maine, what was the first problem they encountered with local animals?
(a) The kittens were eating the seeds.
(b) The racoons were eating the seeds.
(c) The birds were eating the seeds.
(d) The deer were eating the seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did it take before the Nearings had blueberries to sell?
2. As the ski business moved into the valley, what did the neighbors call the area where the Nearings lived in Vermont?
3. How could a competent wood worker determine where a tree would fall?
4. What year did the Nearings complete the stone outhouse in Maine?
5. What were Helen's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Nearings feel as they began to age about life?
2. Describe the house in Maine.
3. How did the Nearings build a greenhouse? What were the important things to consider?
4. In what ways did the Nearings use wood from the forest?
5. According to the Nearings, what makes a successful enterprise?
6. What was the importance of Bretton Brubaker's work on the house in Maine?
7. How did the Nearings make applesauce?
8. Why did the Nearings believe homesteaders should record everything?
9. How was building the pond an exercise in patience?
10. How did Scott Nearing remove a large tree?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)