|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1970s, how many visitors came to the farm in a year?
(a) 2000 to 2500.
(b) 2 to 5.
(c) 200 to 250.
(d) 20 to 25.
2. What did the Nearings call the dwarf peas they grew on trellises?
(a) "Telephone" varieties.
(b) "Trellis" varieties.
(c) "Sky High" varieties.
(d) "Pole" varieties.
3. How did the Nearings harvest Chinese cabbage in the cold weather?
(a) Wait until a sunny day with a southern wind and pick them then.
(b) Pick them early and can them to add flavor.
(c) Wait until rainy days and pick them when wet.
(d) Wait until cold days and pick them frozen.
4. What did the Nearings use to excavate the pond bed with?
(a) Contractors' wheelbarrows with 16-inch wheels.
(b) A backhoe.
(d) Post-hole diggers.
5. What percentage of the food they ate did the Nearings produce?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 50 percent.
(c) 25 percent.
(d) 85 percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the Nearings travel expenses paid when they were asked to speak or lecture?
2. What was the nearest airport to the house in Maine?
3. What purpose do the stones serve in the greenhouse?
4. What are some visitors looking for to buy or have given to them?
5. What angered Scott about some visitors that came in one morning just before the Nearings decided to move to Maine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the leaks in the pond?
2. What changed in the attitudes of the community in Vermont during and after WWII?
3. According to the Nearings, what makes a successful enterprise?
4. What kinds of visitors did the Nearings have at their farms.
5. How did the Nearings feel as they began to age about life?
6. What one regret did the authors have about the stone wall they had to build around the garden in Maine?
7. How did Scott Nearing remove a large tree?
8. In what ways did the Nearings use wood from the forest?
9. How did the Nearings build a greenhouse? What were the important things to consider?
10. How did the Nearings lay out a garden?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)