|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under optimum conditions, when should wheat be ground if you are baking?
(a) 1 week before you bake.
(b) 1 month before you bake.
(c) 3 days before you bake.
(d) Right before you bake.
2. How much did the Nearings pay for the hand concrete mixer?
(a) They traded for it.
3. What was the relationship between the Nearings and law enforcement?
(a) Scott was a volunteer policeman.
(b) They were constantly harrassed by the area police.
(c) They were good friends with the sheriff.
(d) They never saw a uniformed policeman pass along the dirt road in front of their house.
4. What did the Nearings later attach to their first stone building?
(a) A campsite.
(b) A garage.
(c) A well.
(d) A visitor's center.
5. How much did the Nearings save by building with the stone system they used?
(a) 1/3 of the cost.
(b) 99 percent of the cost.
(c) 3/4 of the cost.
(d) 1/2 of the cost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of schedule did the Nearings keep on Sunday?
2. What did the Nearings use to cook in?
3. How did the Nearings light their home?
4. What did the Nearings sell as a cash crop in Vermont?
5. What kind of events were held on Saturday nights in the small Vermont town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Nearings' views of an hourly wage?
2. What is a whole food? How did the Nearings describe a whole food?
3. What were the Nearings' views regarding the roof of structures? What material did they end up using in Vermont?
4. Why did the Nearings decide on New England as a place to settle and not the southwest or other areas of the country or world?
5. How did the Nearings plant throughout the winter and continue to eat from the garden?
6. How much time did it take for the Nearings to provide food for the year, furnish their house and fuel, and provide needed repairs on the farm? What were the positive outcomes of their system?
7. How did the Nearings trade work with their neighbors? What example can you give?
8. What was the planting season for the Nearings? How did they plant their gardens?
9. Why were the music sessions a community success? What was different about them that made people want to stay and visit?
10. What about the Nearings baffled the neighbors the most?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)