|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of events were held on Saturday nights in the small Vermont town?
(a) Swap meets.
(b) Square dances.
(d) Bar dances.
2. The Nearings thought living in Vermont would be justified as an example of sane living in an _____________.
(a) Insane world.
(b) Utopian society.
(c) Removed area.
(d) Sane world.
3. Why did the Nearings like stone buildings?
(a) They were like a fortress and kept visitors away.
(b) They were easy to build with.
(c) They were cheaper to maintain, would not burn and were cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
(d) They were not as pretty as wood, but more solid.
4. At the Nearing's house, what "rounded out" breakfast?
(a) Cereal with milk.
(b) A handful of sunflower seeds.
(c) A handful of cranberries.
5. What happened when someone went out to work in the garden after lunch?
(a) They stayed later and worked most of the afternoon.
(b) They were escaping and never returned.
(c) Their productivity was very high.
(d) They fell asleep in the shade of the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Nearings do with the spring they found in the back of the cellar-hole?
2. What was 7 miles from the farm in Vermont?
3. What was served nearly every day for lunch at the Nearings?
4. Who could "smell a frost coming?"
5. How old, according to the Nearings, were they when they decided to move to Vermont?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to flour when it is processed?
2. What were Frank Lloyd Wright's basic ideas for building that the Nearings followed?
3. What kind of visitors came to stay at the farm? Who were successful, and who were not and why?
4. What is a whole food? How did the Nearings describe a whole food?
5. How did the issue of serving liquor at community events affect the valley in Vermont?
6. How did the Nearings decorate? What kind of furniture and fireplaces did they use?
7. How did the Nearings plant throughout the winter and continue to eat from the garden?
8. What, according to the Nearings, was the value of compost and mulch?
9. What was the Nearings' view about old buildings? What was their solution to old buildings?
10. Why did the American Indians live in Connecticut and not Vermont?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)