|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Nearings light their home?
(a) With kerosene and candles.
2. What did the Nearings use as silverware?
(a) Plastic silverware.
(b) Sterling silver silverware.
(d) They fingers.
3. What did the Nearings have to do to pick their sweet peas?
(a) Hoe the row and pull them out.
(b) Stand on a stool or ladder.
(c) Bend and kneel on the ground.
(d) Put at ladder up in a tree.
4. What happened to the fords that the Nearings built when they first moved to Vermont?
(a) They did not drain the water.
(b) They worked great.
(c) They cracked and broke.
(d) They heaved and came out of the ground.
5. What two farms did the Nearings buy when they got to Vermont?
(a) The Vermont farm.
(b) The Sandusky farm and the Hodges place.
(c) The Madingly family place.
(d) The Ellonen place and the Hoard place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Nearings get stones to build their buildings?
2. Whose building system did the Nearings follow when building their stone system?
3. What was served nearly every day for lunch at the Nearings?
4. What was the relationship between the Nearings and law enforcement?
5. How was each work day divided up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the Nearings baffled the neighbors the most?
2. How did the cancellation of the mail route in 1945 affect the valley? What did they do? How was this, according to the authors, a positive event for the community?
3. How did the Nearings pick the lettuce in the winter to keep it from wilting?
4. What kind of visitors came to stay at the farm? Who were successful, and who were not and why?
5. Why did the American Indians live in Connecticut and not Vermont?
6. Why did cooperative living fail in the valley for the Nearings?
7. Why were the music sessions a community success? What was different about them that made people want to stay and visit?
8. Why did the Nearings decide on New England as a place to settle and not the southwest or other areas of the country or world?
9. When others thought the Nearings were self-punishing, how did they view their life?
10. What was the planting season for the Nearings? How did they plant their gardens?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)