|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bretton Brubaker get from his home in Ohio to the farm in Maine?
(a) He rode his bicycle.
(b) Drove his car.
(c) Took a bus.
(d) He rode a horse.
2. How should greenhouses be connected to the existing building?
(a) To the south or west side.
(b) Far away from the house.
(c) To the north side.
(d) Above the house on a hillside.
3. Who did all the stonework on the house in Maine?
4. How many days was frost possible on the Vermont homestead?
5. Who did all the hand hewing of the timbers for the new house in Maine?
(c) Keith Heavrin.
6. How long did it take for a compost pile to be ready to use in the garden?
(a) 6 month.s
(b) About two months.
(c) A month.
(d) A full year.
7. What were "cold frames?"
(b) Cloth covers over ground plants.
(c) Wooden frames glazed by glass near ground level.
(d) Plastic covers over ground plants.
8. How many blueberry plants did the Nearings plant their first spring in Maine?
9. What caused a cellar to be too warm for the Nearings?
(a) A wet cellar.
(b) A source of heat in the cellar.
(c) The heat of the summer.
(d) A cellar not built far enough underground.
10. How much did the stone garden wall cost?
11. In Maine, what would an average family of 4 or 5 adults and children require to produce a minimum amount of vegetables?
(a) An acre.
(b) 70 acres.
(c) A half-acre.
(d) A quarter-acre.
12. What did the Nearings find about growing pole beans and sweet peas?
(a) They found they were using longer and higher poles and trellises.
(b) They did not like growing tall plants.
(c) The greenhouse did not work for tall plants.
(d) They plants did not have a long growing season.
13. Why did the Nearings want a pond?
(a) For bathing.
(b) For fishing.
(c) For swimming and ice skating and as a source of irrigation for the garden.
(d) For fresh water.
14. How much does an 18-inch walking space take up in a nine-foot greenhouse?
(a) 46 percent of the total floor space.
(b) One-sixth of the total floor space.
(c) A tenth of the total floor space.
(d) One- fourth of the total floor space.
15. How did the Nearings harvest Chinese cabbage in the cold weather?
(a) Wait until a sunny day with a southern wind and pick them then.
(b) Wait until rainy days and pick them when wet.
(c) Pick them early and can them to add flavor.
(d) Wait until cold days and pick them frozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the Nearings, made a parsnip tasty?
2. How did the Nearings get most of the clothes they wore?
3. What purpose do the stones serve in the greenhouse?
4. How much would the insurance policy cost to insure the sugarhouse in Vermont?
5. Why is bed gardening considered such a good idea?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)