|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Nearings use bagged commercial fertililzer commonly sold to farmers?
(a) Once a year in the spring.
(b) They never touched it.
(c) Once every 5 years to replenish the soil.
(d) Twice a year at planting and harvest.
2. When the Nearings sent samples of their garden soil to be analyzed by the University of Maine, what were the results?
(a) Too much clay.
(b) Too rich.
(c) Too much sand.
(d) Too dry.
3. Other than the wood on the land, what other sources did the Nearings use for wood?
(a) The Neighbors forest.
(b) Driftwood that would come in with the tides.
(c) Ship wood.
(d) The old barn.
4. How many feet was the stone garden wall in Maine?
5. How high are gardening beds raised off the ground?
(a) 1 inch.
(b) Several inches.
(c) 2 feet.
(d) 68 inches.
6. What percentage of the food they ate did the Nearings produce?
(a) 25 percent.
(b) 50 percent.
(c) 85 percent.
(d) 10 percent.
7. What were Helen's parents?
8. How many days was frost possible on the Vermont homestead?
9. How many miles did the Nearings move from Vermont to Maine?
10. What was the size of the garage-workshop-storeroom in Maine?
(a) 5 feet wide and 9 feet long.
(b) 25 feet wide and 50 feet long.
(c) 20 feet wide and 100 feet long.
(d) 25 x 25.
11. How high did the blueberry plants get?
(a) 12 feet.
(b) 1 foot.
(c) 3 feet.
(d) 7 feet.
12. What did the Nearings find about growing pole beans and sweet peas?
(a) They plants did not have a long growing season.
(b) The greenhouse did not work for tall plants.
(c) They found they were using longer and higher poles and trellises.
(d) They did not like growing tall plants.
13. What year did the Nearings complete the stone outhouse in Maine?
14. What is most impressive about bed gardening?
(a) Its lack of weeds.
(b) Its high yield.
(c) Its color.
(d) Its lack of work.
15. As the ski business moved into the valley, what did the neighbors call the area where the Nearings lived in Vermont?
(a) Grandmother's house.
(b) The Wilderness.
(c) The Wild Ones.
(d) Lost Horizon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Nearings build their greenhouses out of?
2. How many years did it take before the Nearings had blueberries to sell?
3. How did the Nearings harvest Chinese cabbage in the cold weather?
4. How often did the Nearings have a crop failure with blueberries?
5. When did the Nearings know that they were on the right track with their winter gardening?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)