|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to the Nearings, made a parsnip tasty?
(b) Freezing would convert their starch into sugar.
(c) A little sea salt.
2. What is a dowsing rod used to find?
3. What did the Nearings find about growing pole beans and sweet peas?
(a) The greenhouse did not work for tall plants.
(b) They did not like growing tall plants.
(c) They plants did not have a long growing season.
(d) They found they were using longer and higher poles and trellises.
4. What was the one negative item about the pond?
(b) The water was always too hot.
5. How long could the Nearings harvest their fall garden?
(a) For 2 to 3 months until night frosts were sufficiently severe.
(b) For about 2 weeks.
(c) Throughout the winter.
(d) For 2 or 3 days.
6. How high are gardening beds raised off the ground?
(a) 2 feet.
(b) 68 inches.
(c) Several inches.
(d) 1 inch.
7. What is "wooding-it?"
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Burning wood.
(c) Felling a tree.
(d) Building cabinets.
8. Other than the wood on the land, what other sources did the Nearings use for wood?
(a) Driftwood that would come in with the tides.
(b) Ship wood.
(c) The old barn.
(d) The Neighbors forest.
9. What were colonists who moved from England to New England not concerned with?
10. As the ski business moved into the valley, what did the neighbors call the area where the Nearings lived in Vermont?
(a) Lost Horizon.
(b) Grandmother's house.
(c) The Wilderness.
(d) The Wild Ones.
11. What are enlarged "cold frames?"
(c) Wood sheds.
12. How old were Helen and Scott when the stone garden wall was finished?
(a) 57 and 87.
(b) 47 and 87.
(c) 37 and 87.
(d) 67 and 87.
13. In Vermont, what mountain did the Nearings live at the foot of?
(a) Stratton Mountain.
(b) Ski Resort Mountain.
(c) Helen's Mountain.
(d) Highlands Mountain.
14. What were Helen's parents?
15. How much did the Nearings use a mowing machine?
(a) For 2 months out of the year.
(b) For 2 weeks in the year.
(c) About 6 or 8 hours a year.
(d) For 3 months during the summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people visit the farm in Maine?
2. Who owned the land and home the Nearings wanted to settle on in Maine?
3. How many blueberry plants did the Nearings plant their first spring in Maine?
4. What kind of apple did the one apple tree grow that was near the blueberry plantation?
5. How did Bretton Brubaker get from his home in Ohio to the farm in Maine?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)