|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After living in the mountains, where did the Nearings want to live in their new home?
(a) In the West.
(b) In Kansas.
(c) In the desert.
(d) Near the sea.
2. How did the Nearings obtain a freezer?
(a) They inherited one.
(b) They bought one.
(c) They traded for one.
(d) The were given one.
3. How could a competent wood worker determine where a tree would fall?
(a) By pushing it in the right direction.
(b) By guessing.
(c) By listening to the wood as it is chopped.
(d) By properly notching and sawing the tree.
4. What did the Nearings build their greenhouses out of?
(a) Cement and plastic.
(b) Glass and plastic.
(d) Stone and cement and glass.
5. When did the Nearings know that they were on the right track with their winter gardening?
(a) When they had food all winter long.
(b) When visitors came and they had enough to eat.
(c) When they ate a fresh salad.
(d) When they canned all their food.
6. What angered Scott about some visitors that came in one morning just before the Nearings decided to move to Maine?
(a) They stayed and did no work and complained about the food.
(b) They interrupted Scott in his study.
(c) They tried to buy the land from the Nearings.
(d) They were children of miners.
7. What did Greg Summers, the man from Wisconsin with a background in art, do for cash?
(a) He photographed the Nearings.
(b) He painted.
(c) He took printshop jobs.
(d) He sold plants.
8. Within 5 weeks, how hot would the compost pile get?
(a) 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
(b) 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
(c) 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
(d) 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. What purpose do the stones serve in the greenhouse?
(a) They are cool in the summer.
(b) They act as radiators.
(c) They are pretty to look at.
(d) They are solid and will not fall.
10. What was the subsoil of the pond area?
(a) Black dirt.
(c) Red clay.
(d) Yellow clay.
11. What were "cold frames?"
(a) Plastic covers over ground plants.
(b) Cloth covers over ground plants.
(d) Wooden frames glazed by glass near ground level.
12. What caused a cellar to be too warm for the Nearings?
(a) The heat of the summer.
(b) A wet cellar.
(c) A source of heat in the cellar.
(d) A cellar not built far enough underground.
13. Who owned the land and home the Nearings wanted to settle on in Maine?
(a) Venice Waller.
(b) Mary Stackhouse.
(c) George Near.
(d) Opal Grange.
14. How many miles did the Nearings move from Vermont to Maine?
15. How many years did it take before the Nearings had blueberries to sell?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 2 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high did the blueberry plants get?
2. How much did the Nearings use a mowing machine?
3. Who did all the stonework on the house in Maine?
4. How much would the insurance policy cost to insure the sugarhouse in Vermont?
5. What was the one negative item about the pond?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)