|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the best fertilizer naturally, according to the Nearings?
(a) The forest.
(b) The outhouse.
2. What did the Nearings build in the corner of the walled-in vegetable garden?
(a) A barn.
(b) A rabbit hutch.
(c) A greenhouse.
(d) A chicken coop.
3. What did the Nearings use to excavate the pond bed with?
(a) Post-hole diggers.
(b) Contractors' wheelbarrows with 16-inch wheels.
(d) A backhoe.
4. How many feet was the stone garden wall in Maine?
5. What is "heeling-in?"
(a) The plant is dug up and then replanted with undamaged roots.
(b) To be set in ones ways.
(c) To train a dog.
(d) To make a mark in the dirt with the heel of your foot for planting.
6. How deep was the stone garden wall in Maine?
(a) 4 to 5 inches.
(b) 62 to 98 inches.
(c) 24 to 26 inches.
(d) 30 to 48 inches.
7. When the Nearings planted their first garden in Maine, what was the first problem they encountered with local animals?
(a) The deer were eating the seeds.
(b) The birds were eating the seeds.
(c) The racoons were eating the seeds.
(d) The kittens were eating the seeds.
8. What were colonists who moved from England to New England not concerned with?
9. What became the norm at every newcomer's house in the valley in Vermont after the war?
(a) Liquored parties.
(b) Piano evenings.
(c) Political discussions.
(d) Sewing circles.
10. Why did the Nearings want a pond?
(a) For bathing.
(b) For fishing.
(c) For swimming and ice skating and as a source of irrigation for the garden.
(d) For fresh water.
11. How high are gardening beds raised off the ground?
(a) 2 feet.
(b) Several inches.
(c) 1 inch.
(d) 68 inches.
12. How many years did it take before the Nearings had blueberries to sell?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 3 years.
13. What is a dowsing rod used to find?
14. What is "wooding-it?"
(a) Burning wood.
(b) Felling a tree.
(c) Building cabinets.
(d) Chopping wood.
15. What were Helen's parents?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Nearings obtain a freezer?
2. How much does an 18-inch walking space take up in a nine-foot greenhouse?
3. How old were Helen and Scott when the stone garden wall was finished?
4. How many miles did the Nearings move from Vermont to Maine?
5. What did the Nearings build their greenhouses out of?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)