|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Continuing the Good LIfe, Chapters Eleven through Eighteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the breakdown of the Nearing's diet, how was the intake of vegetables broken down?
(a) 1/2 yellow and the rest juicy.
(b) 1/2 green and the rest juicy.
(c) 1/3 yellow, 1/2 green and leafy, and 1/3 juicy.
(d) Juicy only.
2. How much of the Maine farm was a woodlot?
(a) About four-fifths.
(c) Only a few square feet.
(d) About 85 percent.
3. The Nearings thought living in Vermont would be justified as an example of sane living in an _____________.
(a) Utopian society.
(b) Removed area.
(c) Sane world.
(d) Insane world.
4. How did the Nearings hold the concrete and stones in place to form the wall?
(a) With movable forms.
(b) With bricks.
(c) With styrofoam.
(d) With metal sheets.
5. What did the Nearings NEVER buy?
(a) Candy, pastries, meats, soft drinks, alcohol, tea, coffee, or tobacco.
(b) Fresh fruits and vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Vermont, what did the Nearings NOT use to keep food cold?
2. What direction do the rows in a garden need to be planted to assure maximum sun to the roots?
3. How many hills of corn did the Nearings usually plant?
4. What happened to the fords that the Nearings built when they first moved to Vermont?
5. What did the Nearings grow under a heavy hay mulch that required no hoeing, no bugs, no spraying, and almost no digging?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)