|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Good Life Continues, Chapters Five through Ten.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to the Nearings, is important about keeping an axe?
(a) Let Helen keep it.
(b) Keeping it sharp.
(c) Keep it inside the house.
(d) Keep it in the garden so it can be found and used.
2. What angered Scott about some visitors that came in one morning just before the Nearings decided to move to Maine?
(a) They tried to buy the land from the Nearings.
(b) They were children of miners.
(c) They stayed and did no work and complained about the food.
(d) They interrupted Scott in his study.
3. What did Harold Field feel about working with the Nearings to make sugar?
(a) He liked the work, but hated their food.
(b) He thrived in the environment.
(c) He worked with them for 15 years.
(d) The work schedule was too rigid.
4. Under optimum conditions, when should wheat be ground if you are baking?
(a) 3 days before you bake.
(b) 1 week before you bake.
(c) Right before you bake.
(d) 1 month before you bake.
5. How could a competent wood worker determine where a tree would fall?
(a) By pushing it in the right direction.
(b) By listening to the wood as it is chopped.
(c) By properly notching and sawing the tree.
(d) By guessing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction do the rows in a garden need to be planted to assure maximum sun to the roots?
2. Whose building system did the Nearings follow when building their stone system?
3. At the musical events on Sunday morning, what was to be avoided?
4. How did the Nearings hold the concrete and stones in place to form the wall?
5. What did the Nearings build their greenhouses out of?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)