|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Good Life Continues, Chapters Five through Ten.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Nearings talked about being vegetarians, which neighbors changed their habits and also became vegetarians?
(a) Most of their neighbors.
(b) 2 close friends.
(d) Only a neighbor man who stayed with them for a long while.
2. What did the Nearings find about growing pole beans and sweet peas?
(a) They did not like growing tall plants.
(b) The greenhouse did not work for tall plants.
(c) They found they were using longer and higher poles and trellises.
(d) They plants did not have a long growing season.
3. According to the author, who defined the "small community"?
(a) Arthur E. Morgan, Baker Brrownell, and Ralph Borsodi.
(b) Frank Lloyd Wright.
(c) The Nearings.
(d) The state.
4. What did the Nearings find that made a perfect base for their house in Vermont?
(a) A level meadow.
(b) A rock ledge over a waterfall.
(c) A 26 foot split boulder.
(d) A cliff overlooking the water.
5. What is "wooding-it?"
(a) Burning wood.
(b) Building cabinets.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Felling a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who could "smell a frost coming?"
2. As the ski business moved into the valley, what did the neighbors call the area where the Nearings lived in Vermont?
3. What did M.B. Kains recommend that farmers serve to their guests when they came for Sunday dinner?
4. How many days was frost possible on the Vermont homestead?
5. Who taught the Nearings to make maple syrup?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)