|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Good Life, Chapters One through Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was each work day divided up?
(a) 4 hours of work and 4 hours of discussion.
(b) 8 hours days with a lunch and two breaks.
(c) 4 hours of inside work and 4 hours of outside work.
(d) 4 morning hours and 4 afternnoon hours.
2. How much heat does an old-fashioned fireplace allow to go up the chimney?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 99 percent.
3. When the Nearings started their first garden in Vermont, what caused a quagmire and nearly ruined the garden?
(a) A sinkhole the size of a large truck.
(b) Deer that kept eating the apples.
(c) A spring on the high side of the garden.
(d) The threat of fire.
4. How did the Nearings hold the concrete and stones in place to form the wall?
(a) With bricks.
(b) With styrofoam.
(c) With movable forms.
(d) With metal sheets.
5. What did the Nearings do with the spring they found in the back of the cellar-hole?
(a) They ran the water to the outhouse.
(b) They ran the water to the garden.
(c) They concreted the sides and ran a pipe up to the kitchen sink.
(d) They plugged it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of roofs did the Nearings put on their houses?
2. What did the Nearings sell as a cash crop in Vermont?
3. What kind of schedule did the Nearings keep on Sunday?
4. What was 7 miles from the farm in Vermont?
5. What color did the Nearings paint their roof?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)