|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Good Life, Chapters One through Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Nearings started their first garden in Vermont, what caused a quagmire and nearly ruined the garden?
(a) Deer that kept eating the apples.
(b) A spring on the high side of the garden.
(c) The threat of fire.
(d) A sinkhole the size of a large truck.
2. Whose building system did the Nearings follow when building their stone system?
(a) Minnie Pearl.
(c) Ernest Flagg.
(d) Greene and Greene.
3. Why did the Nearings like stone buildings?
(a) They were easy to build with.
(b) They were like a fortress and kept visitors away.
(c) They were not as pretty as wood, but more solid.
(d) They were cheaper to maintain, would not burn and were cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
4. How did the Nearings hold the concrete and stones in place to form the wall?
(a) With metal sheets.
(b) With styrofoam.
(c) With bricks.
(d) With movable forms.
5. Whose ideas of design did the Nearings follow when building their stone homes?
(a) Louis Sullivan.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) Frank Ghery.
(d) Frank Lloyd Wright.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of roofs did the Nearings put on their houses?
2. Where did one enter the Nearing home in Vermont?
3. What was 7 miles from the farm in Vermont?
4. What did the Nearings find that made a perfect base for their house in Vermont?
5. What two farms did the Nearings buy when they got to Vermont?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)