|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Good Life, Chapters Four though Six.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How, according to the Nearings, can you build whole, living, balanced soil?
(a) By using soil from the forest only.
(b) By composting.
(c) By burning leaves.
(d) By burning areas of the forest.
2. What direction do the rows in a garden need to be planted to assure maximum sun to the roots?
(a) At right angles.
(b) East and West.
(c) North and South.
(d) Not in rows, but in pods.
3. What is the definition of disease, according to the Nearings?
(a) Something that causes death.
(b) The absence of health.
4. How did the Nearings divide their "jobs to be done" on their card index of activities?
(a) By "cash labor" and "free labor."
(b) By "building projects" and "garden projects."
(c) By "wood and fuel jobs" and "canning."
(d) By "clear weather jobs" and "rainy day jobs."
5. How did the Nearings eat fresh from the garden?
(a) By canning early in the season.
(b) By picking produce early and letting it ripen off the vine.
(c) By eating with the seasons.
(d) By freezing food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Nearings store potatoes, carrots, beets turnips, celery root and apples?
2. Whose building system did the Nearings follow when building their stone system?
3. What was served nearly every day for lunch at the Nearings?
4. In the breakdown of the Nearing's diet, how much of percentage was their intake of fruit?
5. Who could "smell a frost coming?"
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)