|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does O-lan remark to Wang Lung about the child she has just given birth to in Chapter 7?
(a) "I fear it has died."
(b) "It is a girl-child, and one that needs love."
(c) "It is only a slave this time - not worth mentioning."
(d) "It is a son and a blessing to all."
2. Why does Wang Lung go to confront his uncle's wife in Chapter 7?
(a) Because he hopes to take a second wife.
(b) Because he is in love with her.
(c) Because he feels his female cousin should be married off.
(d) Because her sons are disrupting the town.
3. What does O-lan do with the New Year's cakes she makes in Chapter 5?
(a) She gives them to her family.
(b) She eats them all.
(c) She gives them to Old Mistress Hwang as a gift.
(d) She feeds them to the poor.
4. Where did O-lan live as a child?
5. Wang Lung's uncle says to him in Chapter 7, "I am a man of" what?
(a) "Godly destiny."
(b) "Wealth and prosperity."
(d) "Evil destiny."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is a tailor coming from to tend to the daughter of the House of Hwang for her her upcoming wedding in Chapter 5?
2. What does Wang Lung's father compare drinking tea to in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. How much money does the American woman give to Wang Lung for transporting her in Chapter 11?
4. What does Wang Lung go to eat before taking his bride from the House of Hwang in Chapter 1?
5. What does Wang Lung purchase to burn on the eve of the new year in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Wang Lung to finally decide to take his family to the city in the south in Chapter 9?
2. How does Wang Lung's uncle respond when Wang Lung yells at him in Chapter 7?
3. How do Wang Lung and his family reach the city in the south in Chapter 10?
4. What event leads Wang Lung to stop working as a rickshaw driver in Chapter 14?
5. What does Wang Lung vow to do in regards to his land in Chapter 6?
6. How does Wang Lung perceive his wedding day when he awakens in Chapter 1?
7. What preparations does Wang Lung make when he returns to his land in Chapter 15?
8. What information does Ching relate to Wang Lung when he returns to his land in Chapter 15?
9. Who brings Wang Lung's wife to him in Chapter 1? How is this character described?
10. What conflict occurs between Wang Lung and his aunt in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)