|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is sewn onto the front of the hat that O-lin has made for her son when she goes to the House of Hwang in Chapter 5?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A lion.
(c) A dancing tiger.
(d) A Buddha figure.
2. What items did Wang Lung's father take to the House of Hwang to secure Wang Lung's marriage to their slave-girl?
(a) A watch and a necklace.
(b) Two rings and a pair of earrings.
(c) A silk dress and a pair of stockings.
(d) A pair of shoes and a ladle.
3. How much do each of the eggs cost that Wang Lung purchases after his son is born?
(a) 1 penny.
(b) 5 pence.
(c) 2 pence.
(d) 4 pence.
4. From whom has Wang Lung bought a leg of pork that hangs in his house in Chapter 4?
(d) Pear Blossom.
5. Which of the jewels does O-lan ask for and keep for herself when she gives the rest to Wang Lung in Chapter 16?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) Two pearls.
(c) A sapphire necklace.
(d) A gold ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Wang Lung's ox in Chapter 8?
2. What food does Ching give to Wang Lung before Wang's family departs for the south in Chapter 9?
3. What does Wang Lung define one's land as being in Chapter 5?
4. Who assists O-lan in childbirth in Chapter 3?
5. How much money does Wang Lung spend on an ox in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Wang Lung's uncle's family vexes Wang Lung in Chapter 7?
2. What leads to Wang Lung purchasing more land from the House of Hwang in Chapter 8?
3. Who brings Wang Lung's wife to him in Chapter 1? How is this character described?
4. What event leads Wang Lung to stop working as a rickshaw driver in Chapter 14?
5. How has Wang Lung's fate changed in Chapter 8? How does he respond to this change of fate?
6. How does Wang Lung perceive the city of Kiangsu in Chapter 12?
7. What causes Wang Lung to finally decide to take his family to the city in the south in Chapter 9?
8. How do Wang Lung and his family reach the city in the south in Chapter 10?
9. What activities take place as the New Year celebration approaches in Chapter 5?
10. How do Wang Lung's circumstances during the winter differ from those of his uncle in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)