|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are eggs died to celebrate when Wang Lung has a son in Chapter 3?
2. What does O-lan remark to Wang Lung about the child she has just given birth to in Chapter 7?
(a) "It is only a slave this time - not worth mentioning."
(b) "I fear it has died."
(c) "It is a son and a blessing to all."
(d) "It is a girl-child, and one that needs love."
3. Where is a tailor coming from to tend to the daughter of the House of Hwang for her her upcoming wedding in Chapter 5?
4. What does Wang Lung vow he must do in the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Return to his land.
(c) Sell his daughter into slavery.
5. Where does O-lan dig a hole for she and Wang Lung to hide their silver in Chapter 4?
(a) Behind the estate wall.
(b) By the baby's bed.
(c) By the church.
(d) Behind their bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many seed beans came up for Wang Lung's uncle of the twenty that he planted this year in Chapter 7?
2. Where does Wang Lung hide when he observes soldiers seizing his fellow laborers from the streets in Chapter 14?
3. What statement does O-lan make regarding the rich in Chapter 16?
4. Of what drug does the Old Mistress partake during Wang Long's visit to retrieve his wife in Chapter 1?
5. What does Wang Lung begin referring to his daughter as in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the atmosphere of the city changed in Chapter 14? What has led to the changes?
2. How has Wang Lung's fate changed in Chapter 8? How does he respond to this change of fate?
3. What does Wang Lung vow to do in regards to his land in Chapter 6?
4. What causes Wang Lung to finally decide to take his family to the city in the south in Chapter 9?
5. How does O-lan go about earning money to keep her family alive once they've reached the city in Chapter 11?
6. What leads to Wang Lung purchasing more land from the House of Hwang in Chapter 8?
7. How do Wang Lung and his family reach the city in the south in Chapter 10?
8. What information does Ching relate to Wang Lung when he returns to his land in Chapter 15?
9. What event leads Wang Lung to stop working as a rickshaw driver in Chapter 14?
10. How does Wang Lung's uncle respond when Wang Lung yells at him in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)