|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Wang Lung order to arrange the matter of renting a house in town for his family to move to in Chapter 29?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His father.
(c) His youngest son.
(d) His eldest son.
2. Wang Lung says in Chapter 20, "When a man's house is full of wild dogs he must" do what?
(a) "Protect himself."
(b) "Throw bones in their direction."
(c) "Kill them."
(d) "Seek peace elsewhere."
3. What is the name of the whore whom Wang Lung's eldest son has been frequenting in Chapter 23?
(a) Pear Blossom.
(b) Amber Rose.
4. What does Wang Lung purchase for the "goddess of mercy" after his grandson is born in Chapter 29?
(a) A gold crown.
(b) A new robe.
(c) A silver ring.
(d) A blue candle.
5. What does O-lan suggest that her eldest son has been doing when she confronts Wang Lung in Chapter 24?
(a) Talking to soldiers.
(b) Spending time with Lotus.
(c) Spending time with Cuckoo.
(d) Stealing money.
6. What causes Wang Lung to become angry with Lotus in Chapter 21?
(a) Lotus scolds O-lan.
(b) Lotus sleeps with Ching.
(c) Lotus leaves the house.
(d) Lotus curses his children.
7. For how long does the grain merchant insist his daughter must wait until she is wed to Wang Lung's eldest son in Chapter 23?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
8. Who are the first members of Wang Lung's household that are moved to the new townhouse in Chapter 29?
(a) Ching and Liu.
(b) O-lan and the poor fool.
(c) Lotus and Cuckoo.
(d) Nung En and Nung Wen.
9. What does Wang Lung demand from O-lan to give to Lotus in Chapter 19?
(a) Her sapphire necklace.
(b) Her pearls.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her silver ring.
10. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
(a) Because of a new merchant.
(b) Because of a flood.
(c) Because of a war.
(d) Because of a famine.
11. The narrator says in Chapter 23, "When there was a thing to be done, Cuckoo smelled the money in it as a rat smells" what?
12. What does Wang Lung have built for Cuckoo due to the adversity between her and O-lan in Chapter 21?
(a) A bathing trough.
(b) A bed.
(c) A separate kitchen.
(d) A separate home.
13. What does Wang Lung's aunt say Lotus "reeks of" when she helps her into her chambers in Chapter 20?
(a) "Onions and garlic."
(b) "Sweat and men."
(c) "Oil and wine."
(d) "Perfume and paint."
14. Why does Wang Lung's eldest son say he hates his cousin in Chapter 27?
(a) Because he is always peeping at his wife.
(b) Because he is a scholar.
(c) Because he is base and stupid.
(d) Because he is arrogant and wealthy.
15. Whom does Wang Lung's second-eldest son say his older brother has been going out with at night in Chapter 23?
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wang Lung make his eldest sons work in his fields each day in Chapter 17?
2. What does Cuckoo demand as payment for Lotus to come and live with Wang Lung in Chapter 20?
3. Who comes to tell Wang Lung that his grandson has been born in Chapter 29?
4. What does O-lan refuse to leave out for Cuckoo in the mornings in Chapter 21?
5. Of the silk depictions of women on the walls of the tea house, Wang Lung says in Chapter 18, "I thought they were pictures of dream women, of goddesses in the mountain of" where?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)