|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the grain merchant live that Wang Lung has betrothed his eldest son to in Chapter 25?
(a) The Street of Temples.
(b) The Street of Bridges.
(c) The Street of Merchants.
(d) The Street of Gold.
2. Whom does Wang Lung order to arrange the matter of renting a house in town for his family to move to in Chapter 29?
(a) His father.
(b) His eldest son.
(c) His youngest son.
(d) His uncle.
3. What are Wang Lung's uncle and aunt compared to in Chapter 30?
(a) "Fat, robust babies."
(b) "Snakes and tigers."
(c) "Old dry sticks."
(d) "Wet blankets."
4. What do Wang Lung and all of the farmers in his village share?
(a) The shared land.
(b) The same living quarters.
(c) The name of Lung.
(d) The name of Wang.
5. Who accompanies Wang Lung's uncle when he moves into Wang Lung's home in Chapter 20?
(a) His son, cousin, and brother.
(b) His wife and two daughters.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His wife and son.
6. The narrator says in Chapter 23, "When there was a thing to be done, Cuckoo smelled the money in it as a rat smells" what?
7. What gift does Wang Lung give to the teacher when he takes his sons to school in Chapter 17?
(a) Salted pork.
(b) A ring.
(c) An apple.
(d) Fresh eggs.
8. Where does Wang Lung have Ching buried in Chapter 29?
(a) Next to O-lan's grave.
(b) Outside of the village.
(c) By the wall of the estate.
(d) Next to his father's grave.
9. In O-lan's last words before dying, she says, "Beauty will not" do what?
(a) "Live forever."
(b) "Follow one across the bridge."
(c) "Bring prosperity."
(d) "Bear a man sons."
10. Why does Wang Lung's eldest son say he hates his cousin in Chapter 27?
(a) Because he is arrogant and wealthy.
(b) Because he is base and stupid.
(c) Because he is always peeping at his wife.
(d) Because he is a scholar.
11. What suggestion of his eldest son's regarding his uncle does Wang Lung finally agree to in Chapter 27?
(a) Calling the magistrate to remove his uncle.
(b) Sending for the redbeards to take away his uncle.
(c) Drowning his uncle and aunt.
(d) Getting his uncle addicted to opium.
12. For how long does the grain merchant insist his daughter must wait until she is wed to Wang Lung's eldest son in Chapter 23?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 years.
13. Who comes to tell Wang Lung that his grandson has been born in Chapter 29?
(a) Wang Lung's aunt.
(c) Wang Lung's father.
(d) Wang Lung's uncle.
14. Whom does Lotus befriend, much to Wang Lung's discouragement in Chapter 21?
(a) Wang Lung's youngest son.
(c) Wang Lung's aunt.
15. How much of Wang Lung's land is said to be "a lake as deep as a man's shoulders and more" during the floods in Chapter 18?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Wang Lung turn over all his financial matters in Chapter 30?
2. How old is Wang Lung's eldest son in Chapter 24?
3. What does Wang Lung purchase for the "goddess of mercy" after his grandson is born in Chapter 29?
4. How far away does the maid live that is arranged to marry Wang Lung's second-eldest son in Chapter 29?
5. What does O-lan say she will do if Cuckoo or Lotus are allowed into her room after she has died in Chapter 26?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)