|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Lotus befriend, much to Wang Lung's discouragement in Chapter 21?
(b) Wang Lung's youngest son.
(c) Wang Lung's aunt.
2. What does Wang Lung promise to the prostitute who has been visited by Wang Lung's son in Chapter 23?
(a) He will buy her a home if she turns away his son.
(b) He will give her twice the silver for turning his son away.
(c) He will kill her if his son returns.
(d) He will send his uncle to please her.
3. What suggestion of his eldest son's regarding his uncle does Wang Lung finally agree to in Chapter 27?
(a) Getting his uncle addicted to opium.
(b) Sending for the redbeards to take away his uncle.
(c) Drowning his uncle and aunt.
(d) Calling the magistrate to remove his uncle.
4. Where does Wang Lung have Ching buried in Chapter 29?
(a) Next to his father's grave.
(b) Outside of the village.
(c) By the wall of the estate.
(d) Next to O-lan's grave.
5. What symbol of a band of robbers does Wang Lung's uncle wear inside his coat?
(a) A red beard.
(b) A gold bracelet.
(c) A white beard.
(d) A saber.
6. What does Wang Lung decide to do with his eldest son in the end of Chapter 24?
(a) Send him south to school.
(b) Send him north to school.
(c) Send him to join the military.
(d) Send him to America.
7. How many pieces of silver does Wang Lung give to his aunt for arranging his purchase of Lotus?
8. How much money does Wang Lung pay Ching as steward on Wang Lung's farm in Chapter 17?
(a) 2 silver pieces a month.
(b) 4 gold pieces a month.
(c) 5 silver pieces a month.
(d) 2 gold pieces a month.
9. What does Wang Lung have built for Cuckoo due to the adversity between her and O-lan in Chapter 21?
(a) A bathing trough.
(b) A separate kitchen.
(c) A bed.
(d) A separate home.
10. Wang Lung says in Chapter 20, "When a man's house is full of wild dogs he must" do what?
(a) "Protect himself."
(b) "Seek peace elsewhere."
(c) "Throw bones in their direction."
(d) "Kill them."
11. How old is Wang Lung's eldest son when Wang sends him to be educated?
12. For how long does the grain merchant insist his daughter must wait until she is wed to Wang Lung's eldest son in Chapter 23?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 years.
13. What does Wang Lung tell O-lan he would do if only it would heal her in Chapter 26?
(a) He would sell all his land.
(b) He would leave Lotus.
(c) He would sell his daughters.
(d) He would move into town.
14. What are Wang Lung's uncle and aunt compared to in Chapter 30?
(a) "Old dry sticks."
(b) "Fat, robust babies."
(c) "Snakes and tigers."
(d) "Wet blankets."
15. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
(a) Because of a new merchant.
(b) Because of a flood.
(c) Because of a famine.
(d) Because of a war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O-lan refuse to leave out for Cuckoo in the mornings in Chapter 21?
2. What does O-lan suggest that her eldest son has been doing when she confronts Wang Lung in Chapter 24?
3. Under what kind of tree are O-land and Wang Lung's father buried?
4. How much of Wang Lung's land is said to be "a lake as deep as a man's shoulders and more" during the floods in Chapter 18?
5. Who is the grain dealer that Lotus suggests Wang Lung speak to about marrying his son to the grain dealer's daughter in Chapter 23?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)