|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the first members of Wang Lung's household that are moved to the new townhouse in Chapter 29?
(a) O-lan and the poor fool.
(b) Lotus and Cuckoo.
(c) Nung En and Nung Wen.
(d) Ching and Liu.
2. What suggestion of his eldest son's regarding his uncle does Wang Lung finally agree to in Chapter 27?
(a) Drowning his uncle and aunt.
(b) Getting his uncle addicted to opium.
(c) Calling the magistrate to remove his uncle.
(d) Sending for the redbeards to take away his uncle.
3. How does Wang Lung's eldest son suggest they kill his uncle and his family in Chapter 27?
(a) By poisoning them.
(b) By shooting them.
(c) By drowning them.
(d) By stabbing them.
4. What drastic act does Wang Lung do in order to impress Lotus in Chapter 19?
(a) He sells his land.
(b) He sells his wife.
(c) He buys a new home.
(d) He cuts off his braid.
5. For how long does Wang Lung refrain from going into town due to his anger after his uncle has moved onto his land in Chapter 20?
(a) For 2 weeks.
(b) For 4 days.
(c) For 3 days.
(d) For 2 days.
6. How much of Wang Lung's land is said to be "a lake as deep as a man's shoulders and more" during the floods in Chapter 18?
7. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
(a) Because of a flood.
(b) Because of a war.
(c) Because of a famine.
(d) Because of a new merchant.
8. What color robes do the priests from the Taoist temple wear that come to lead O-lan's and Wang Lung's father's funeral?
9. What are Wang Lung's uncle and aunt compared to in Chapter 30?
(a) "Wet blankets."
(b) "Snakes and tigers."
(c) "Old dry sticks."
(d) "Fat, robust babies."
10. Where does Cuckoo say Lotus is from in Chapter 18?
11. What does O-lan promise Wang Lung she will do for their youngest daughter in Chapter 18?
(a) Cut her hair.
(b) Bind her feet.
(c) Sell her to a merchant.
(d) Sell her to a soldier.
12. How tall is the Western Pagoda said to be in Wang Lung's village in Chapter 18?
(a) 2 stories tall.
(b) 3 stories tall.
(c) 4 stories tall.
(d) 5 stories tall.
13. What does Wang Lung tell O-lan he would do if only it would heal her in Chapter 26?
(a) He would sell his daughters.
(b) He would leave Lotus.
(c) He would move into town.
(d) He would sell all his land.
14. Under what kind of tree are O-land and Wang Lung's father buried?
(a) An elm tree.
(b) A date tree.
(c) A willow tree.
(d) An oak tree.
15. Why does Wang Lung not turn away his uncle in Chapter 20?
(a) Because his uncle owes him money.
(b) Because it would be shameful.
(c) Because his aunt is dying.
(d) Because O-lan has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to tell Wang Lung that his grandson has been born in Chapter 29?
2. How much money does Wang Lung pay Ching as steward on Wang Lung's farm in Chapter 17?
3. What is Cuckoo's job at the tea house in Chapter 18?
4. What does Wang Lung decide to do with his eldest son in the end of Chapter 24?
5. Who washes O-lan's body for burial after her death?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)