|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In O-lan's last words before dying, she says, "Beauty will not" do what?
(a) "Bear a man sons."
(b) "Follow one across the bridge."
(c) "Live forever."
(d) "Bring prosperity."
2. Whom does Wang Lung's second-eldest son say his older brother has been going out with at night in Chapter 23?
(d) His cousin.
3. What does O-lan say she will do if Cuckoo or Lotus are allowed into her room after she has died in Chapter 26?
(a) She will have her sister kill everyone.
(b) She will send back her spirit for a curse.
(c) She will curse her daughters to slavery.
(d) She will arrange for a divorce.
4. Where does Cuckoo say Lotus is from in Chapter 18?
5. What does Wang Lung tell O-lan he would do if only it would heal her in Chapter 26?
(a) He would leave Lotus.
(b) He would move into town.
(c) He would sell all his land.
(d) He would sell his daughters.
6. What does Wang Lung's aunt say Lotus "reeks of" when she helps her into her chambers in Chapter 20?
(a) "Perfume and paint."
(b) "Onions and garlic."
(c) "Oil and wine."
(d) "Sweat and men."
7. Who suggests that Wang Lung purchase the outer courts of the townhouse to drive out the dirty commoners in Chapter 30?
(b) Wang Lung's uncle.
(c) Wang Lung's youngest son.
(d) Wang Lung's eldest son.
8. Who is the first to discover and announce Wang Lung's love for another woman in Chapter 20?
(a) Wang Lung's aunt.
(d) Wang Lung's uncle.
9. How much money does Wang Lung pay Ching as steward on Wang Lung's farm in Chapter 17?
(a) 2 gold pieces a month.
(b) 2 silver pieces a month.
(c) 5 silver pieces a month.
(d) 4 gold pieces a month.
10. Whom does Lotus befriend, much to Wang Lung's discouragement in Chapter 21?
(a) Wang Lung's youngest son.
(c) Wang Lung's aunt.
11. Where does Wang Lung have Ching buried in Chapter 29?
(a) By the wall of the estate.
(b) Outside of the village.
(c) Next to his father's grave.
(d) Next to O-lan's grave.
12. What does Cuckoo demand as payment for Lotus to come and live with Wang Lung in Chapter 20?
(a) 20 pieces of gold.
(b) 30 pieces of silver.
(c) 200 pieces of silver.
(d) 100 pieces of silver.
13. What causes Wang Lung to become angry with Lotus in Chapter 21?
(a) Lotus scolds O-lan.
(b) Lotus curses his children.
(c) Lotus sleeps with Ching.
(d) Lotus leaves the house.
14. What does Wang Lung decide to do with his eldest son in the end of Chapter 24?
(a) Send him north to school.
(b) Send him south to school.
(c) Send him to join the military.
(d) Send him to America.
15. The narrator says in Chapter 23, "When there was a thing to be done, Cuckoo smelled the money in it as a rat smells" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Wang Lung describe as "the keeper of" Lotus in Chapter 20?
2. How much of Wang Lung's land is said to be "a lake as deep as a man's shoulders and more" during the floods in Chapter 18?
3. Whom does Wang Lung order to arrange the matter of renting a house in town for his family to move to in Chapter 29?
4. What does Wang Lung demand from O-lan to give to Lotus in Chapter 19?
5. How old is Wang Lung's eldest son in Chapter 24?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)