|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is depicted on the second flier that Wang Lung is given in Chapter 14?
(a) A street paved with gold.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) A fat man stabbing a starving man.
2. Where does the American woman ask Wang Lung to transport her in Chapter 11?
(a) The Emperor's estate.
(b) The Street of Bridges.
(c) The Street of Temples.
(d) The Confucian temple.
3. How many eggs does Wang Lung purchase in town in Chapter 4?
4. What image is depicted on the flier that the blue-eyed man gives to Wang Lung in Chapter 14?
(a) A depiction of America.
(b) A depiction of a fat man killing a starving man.
(c) A picture of Confucius.
(d) A depiction of Jesus Christ.
5. What animals does Wang Lung observe and consider to be an evil omen in the end of Chapter 7?
(a) A nest of owls.
(b) A pit of snakes.
(c) A flock of crows.
(d) A pack of wolves.
6. Who turns the villagers against Wang Lung during the hard times after the drought in Chapter 8?
(c) Wang Lung's uncle.
7. How does Wang Lung respond to the news that O-lan is pregnant in Chapter 2?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is enraged.
8. What statement does O-lan make regarding the rich in Chapter 16?
(a) "The rich are welcome anywhere."
(b) "The rich are always afraid."
(c) "The rich are delicate."
(d) "The rich are always overbearing."
9. Where did O-lan live as a child?
10. What is the name of Wang Lung's nearest neighbor that he regrets not having brought with him when he faces the House of Hwang in Chapter 1?
(a) Pear Blossom.
11. What does Wang Lung purchase to burn on the eve of the new year in Chapter 5?
(a) Five blue candles.
(b) Six green candles.
(c) Ten red candles.
(d) Two red candles.
12. What is the name of the southern city that Wang Lung's family lives in during the famine in Chapter 11?
13. Who makes the hut from the mats that Wang Lung buys in the city in Chapter 11?
(a) Pear Blossom.
(b) Wang Lung.
14. How many children does Wang Lung's uncle have in Chapter 7?
15. What happened to Wang Lung's uncle's daughters while he and his family were in the city?
(a) They starved to death.
(b) They were sold.
(c) They committed suicide.
(d) They were murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does O-lan dig a hole for she and Wang Lung to hide their silver in Chapter 4?
2. What does O-lan do with the New Year's cakes she makes in Chapter 5?
3. What does Wang Lung vow he must do in the end of Chapter 12?
4. Why was O-lan beaten daily as a slave?
5. What presumably happens to Wang Lung's daughter that is born in Chapter 9?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)