|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the jewels does O-lan ask for and keep for herself when she gives the rest to Wang Lung in Chapter 16?
(a) A gold ring.
(b) A sapphire necklace.
(c) Two pearls.
(d) A diamond ring.
2. What does O-lan remark to Wang Lung about the child she has just given birth to in Chapter 7?
(a) "It is a girl-child, and one that needs love."
(b) "It is a son and a blessing to all."
(c) "I fear it has died."
(d) "It is only a slave this time - not worth mentioning."
3. How much money does Wang Lung pay for the cost of transporting his family to the city in the south in Chapter 11?
(a) Less than 2 silver coins.
(b) 5 silver coins.
(c) About 20 silver coins.
(d) 2 gold coins.
4. What does Wang Lung begin referring to his daughter as in Chapter 9?
(c) Poor fool.
(d) Pear Blossom.
5. How many children does Wang Lung's uncle have in Chapter 7?
6. How much money does Wang Lung take home after his first day of working in the city in Chapter 11?
(a) 10 silver coins.
(b) 5 pence.
(c) 2 silver coins.
(d) A penny.
7. Where does the American woman ask Wang Lung to transport her in Chapter 11?
(a) The Confucian temple.
(b) The Street of Bridges.
(c) The Emperor's estate.
(d) The Street of Temples.
8. How old is Ching said to be in Chapter 15?
(a) Less than 45 years old.
(b) Less than 35 years old.
(c) 27 years old.
(d) Over 50 years old.
9. What does Wang Lung say to the rich man after taking his gold during the riot in Chapter 14?
(a) "Out of my sight, lest I kill you for a fat worm!"
(b) "I did not mean to disturb you."
(c) "I do not know who you are. I do not care."
(d) "Thank you, for lest my family will starve."
10. Who is the priority in Wang Lung's home when the family is starving in Chapter 9?
(a) Wang Long's eldest son.
(b) Wang Lung's daughter.
(d) Wang Lung's father.
11. What does O-lan do with the flier that has been given to Wang Lung by the blue-eyed man in Chapter 14?
(a) She sells it to a neighbor.
(b) She cooks it.
(c) She sews it into his shoe-soles.
(d) She uses it for roofing material.
12. How many sticks of incense does Wang Lung burn at the temple of the earth after his son is born in Chapter 4?
13. Where did O-lan live as a child?
14. What does O-lan do with the New Year's cakes she makes in Chapter 5?
(a) She eats them all.
(b) She feeds them to the poor.
(c) She gives them to her family.
(d) She gives them to Old Mistress Hwang as a gift.
15. What statement does O-lan make regarding the rich in Chapter 16?
(a) "The rich are welcome anywhere."
(b) "The rich are always overbearing."
(c) "The rich are delicate."
(d) "The rich are always afraid."
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what drug does the Old Mistress partake during Wang Long's visit to retrieve his wife in Chapter 1?
2. Who makes the hut from the mats that Wang Lung buys in the city in Chapter 11?
3. How many seed beans came up for Wang Lung's uncle of the twenty that he planted this year in Chapter 7?
4. What is the vehicle called that Wang Lung's family takes to the city in the south in Chapter 10?
5. What are the New Year's cakes called that O-lan makes in Chapter 5?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)