|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season has begun in the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. Why was O-lan beaten daily as a slave?
(a) White Lily.
(b) To ensure she was obedient.
(c) Because she stole from her masters every day.
(d) Because the Old Master was in love with her.
3. How old is Wang Lung's female cousin that he and his uncle discuss in Chapter 7?
4. What does the barber suggest Wang Lung have removed on his wedding day?
(a) His nose-ring.
(b) His earrings.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His braid.
5. What does Wang Lung's uncle ask of Wang Lung for his daughter's dowry in Chapter 7?
(a) 2 pieces of silver.
(b) 10 pieces of gold.
(c) 10 pieces of silver.
(d) 5 pieces of silver.
6. What animals does Wang Lung observe and consider to be an evil omen in the end of Chapter 7?
(a) A pit of snakes.
(b) A pack of wolves.
(c) A flock of crows.
(d) A nest of owls.
7. How much money does Wang Lung spend on an ox in Chapter 15?
(a) 10 silver coins.
(b) 2 gold pieces.
(c) 5 gold pieces.
(d) 3 silver coins.
8. What is the name of the southern city that Wang Lung's family lives in during the famine in Chapter 11?
9. How many sleeping mats does Wang Lung purchase to fashion into a hut for his family in the city in Chapter 11?
10. When Wang Lung's father went to request a slave as a wife for his son, he requested what trait "above all"?
(a) That she not be poor.
(b) That she not be a good cook.
(c) That she not be hard-working.
(d) That she not be pretty.
11. Where does O-lan dig a hole for she and Wang Lung to hide their silver in Chapter 4?
(a) By the church.
(b) Behind their bed.
(c) By the baby's bed.
(d) Behind the estate wall.
12. Where does Wang Lung first observe young men in the city speaking of revolution in Chapter 11?
(a) By the public kitchen.
(b) By the city wall.
(c) By the Confucian temple.
(d) By his hut.
13. How many young lords are described at the House of Hwang in Chapter 5?
14. How much money does Wang Lung take home after his first day of working in the city in Chapter 11?
(a) 2 silver coins.
(b) 10 silver coins.
(c) A penny.
(d) 5 pence.
15. How many children does Wang Lung's uncle have in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O-lan say she was beaten with daily as a slave in Chapter 14?
2. What does Wang Lung purchase to burn on the eve of the new year in Chapter 5?
3. What is the vehicle called that Wang Lung's family takes to the city in the south in Chapter 10?
4. How much money does it cost to go to a public kitchen for rice gruel in the city in the south in Chapter 11?
5. How long has it been since the death of Wang Lung's mother in the beginning of Chapter 1?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)