|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crashing sound that Wang Lung's family observes from their hut in Chapter 14?
(a) A bomb exploding by the public kitchen.
(b) Machine-gun fire.
(c) A tank rolling into town.
(d) The enemy breaking down the gate.
2. What does Wang Lung purchase to burn on the eve of the new year in Chapter 5?
(a) Six green candles.
(b) Two red candles.
(c) Ten red candles.
(d) Five blue candles.
3. What does the gatekeeper demand of Wang Lung before admitting him to the House of Hwang in Chapter 1?
(a) His birth certificate.
(b) A silver coin.
(c) A silver ring.
(d) A letter of invite.
4. How is Wang Lung's uncle's wife described in Chapter 4?
(a) "Thin and waspy."
(b) "Fat and lazy."
(c) "Attractive and tidy."
(d) "Like a fox."
5. Who has stolen the pork meat that Wang Lung discovers being cooked in his hut in Chapter 12?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His younger son.
(c) His eldest son.
6. Who built the Temple of the Earth where Wang Lung burns incense after his wedding?
(a) Wang Lung's grandfather.
(b) Old Master Hwang.
(c) Wang Lung's uncle.
(d) Wang Lung's father.
7. How much do each of the eggs cost that Wang Lung purchases after his son is born?
(a) 1 penny.
(b) 4 pence.
(c) 2 pence.
(d) 5 pence.
8. Where did O-lan live as a child?
9. What statement does O-lan make regarding the rich in Chapter 16?
(a) "The rich are always afraid."
(b) "The rich are always overbearing."
(c) "The rich are delicate."
(d) "The rich are welcome anywhere."
10. What does O-lan do with the flier that has been given to Wang Lung by the blue-eyed man in Chapter 14?
(a) She sews it into his shoe-soles.
(b) She sells it to a neighbor.
(c) She cooks it.
(d) She uses it for roofing material.
11. How old is Ching said to be in Chapter 15?
(a) 27 years old.
(b) Less than 35 years old.
(c) Less than 45 years old.
(d) Over 50 years old.
12. What items did Wang Lung's father take to the House of Hwang to secure Wang Lung's marriage to their slave-girl?
(a) A pair of shoes and a ladle.
(b) A silk dress and a pair of stockings.
(c) A watch and a necklace.
(d) Two rings and a pair of earrings.
13. What is the vehicle called that Wang Lung's family takes to the city in the south in Chapter 10?
(a) A rickshaw.
(b) A truck.
(c) A fire-wagon.
(d) A dragon-train.
14. What are the New Year's cakes called that O-lan makes in Chapter 5?
(a) Moon cakes.
(b) Rice cakes.
(c) Sun cakes.
(d) Lenten cakes.
15. How far is the distance described that Wang Lung's family must travel to reach the city in the south in Chapter 9?
(a) Over 200 miles.
(b) Over 100 miles.
(c) About 30 miles.
(d) About 70 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image is depicted on the flier that the blue-eyed man gives to Wang Lung in Chapter 14?
2. What color are eggs died to celebrate when Wang Lung has a son in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of Wang Lung's nearest neighbor that he regrets not having brought with him when he faces the House of Hwang in Chapter 1?
4. How much money does Wang Lung take home after his first day of working in the city in Chapter 11?
5. Where does O-lan dig a hole for she and Wang Lung to hide their silver in Chapter 4?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)