|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best description of breakfast?
2. What happened to Tehogo's family?
3. What does Zanele do in Sudan?
4. What has Frank started doing again with his nights?
5. Which of the following is an appropriate synonym for the term austere as used in the following sentence: The bedroom was austere.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank offer to do so that Laurence and Zanele can be alone together and how does Laurence respond?
2. What information is shared about Frank's marriage and his current love life?
3. What does Frank understand about the reason that Ngema says it is inappropriate for Frank to share rooms with Tehogo?
4. Why did Laurence want to hike to this particular village?
5. What does the hospital have in abundance and what types of things do they have too little of?
6. What does Frank find when he goes for his own walk?
7. How did Frank come to be stuck at the hospital?
8. What did Laurence insist was the real reason that Frank became a doctor?
9. How does Laurence treat all of the patients he sees and how does this make Frank feel?
10. What confuses Laurence about the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think is Frank's worst enemy? Why do you think this way? What role do Laurence and Dr. Ngema play in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
How would you characterize Laurence's morality? How does this compare to Frank's morality? Is there a right and wrong when it comes to morality? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think that Tehogo is a symbol of in this story? What about Laurence? In what way do you think the author utilizes symbolism in this story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)