|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank feel about Laurence's idea about the village?
2. Who is the Brigadier?
3. Where does Frank tell Zanele Laurence would have learned more about life?
4. Why doesn't Laurence go for a swim in the water with Frank?
5. When Frank stops at Mama's to ask about a room, what does he see there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the hospital have in abundance and what types of things do they have too little of?
2. What happens the next time Maria and Frank are together after she warned Frank not to come because her husband would be in town?
3. What information about herself does Zanele share with Frank?
4. What is one thing Laurence does to help to improve the appearance of the grounds of the hospital?
5. What information does Franks share with Laurence about the town and the hospital?
6. What happens when Frank goes to visit Maria and asks her to tell him more about her life?
7. Why doesn't Frank mention the patients condition and how does Laurence respond?
8. How does Ngema respond to Laurence and how does this affect Laurence?
9. What happens when Frank suggests they stop and eat after swimming and what new information does Laurence reveal about their mission?
10. What does Laurence invite Frank to do and how does he prepare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think that Tehogo is a symbol of in this story? What about Laurence? In what way do you think the author utilizes symbolism in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is Frank's worst enemy? Why do you think this way? What role do Laurence and Dr. Ngema play in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose of including the character of Zanele in this story? Why do you think Frank slept with her? Why do you think she broke off her relationship with Laurence by letter? Do you agree with their actions? Why or why not?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)