|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question did the Commandant ask Frank about the prisoner?
(a) Should he be taken to a hospital?
(b) How much more could he take?
(c) Was he already dead?
(d) How could they make him confess?
2. How was the capital's location decided?
(a) It was the center of the country.
(c) A war was fought to determine it.
(d) A vote was held.
3. Who is Colonel Moller?
(a) The soldier who made Frank examine the prisoner.
(b) The leader of the resistance.
(c) The head of the army training camps.
(d) The husband to Mama.
4. How did Laurence meet his girlfriend?
(a) He met her at the hospital.
(b) He met her while they were both studying to be doctors.
(c) He has known her since they were both children.
(d) He met her when she was doing famine relief work.
5. Why did Dr. Ngema think the clinic idea was Frank's not Laurence's?
(a) Because Laurence was trying to help Frank's career.
(b) Because Laurence wanted to give Frank credit.
(c) Because he suggested they start in Maria's village.
(d) Because Dr. Ngema doesn't know the difference between Frank and Laurence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laurence continue to try and make his improvements?
2. Where were the Santanders before they came to the hospital?
3. What is the setting of the story as it opens?
4. What happens to Frank as he thinks about his memories related to Colonel Moller?
5. Who does Frank say created the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Maria tell Frank about how long she has been in town and how she got there?
2. What information about Laurence does Zanele correct while she is talking to Frank?
3. Why doesn't Frank mention the patients condition and how does Laurence respond?
4. How is Frank physically and emotionally at the end of Chapter 1?
5. Why does Frank believe Dr. Ngema suggested he take Laurence on the full tour?
6. What happens on Laurence's first morning and how is he feeling?
7. How does Ngema respond to Laurence and how does this affect Laurence?
8. How does Frank feel about Zanele's idealism and how does this relate to how he feels about Laurence?
9. How did Frank come to become a doctor?
10. Why did Laurence want to hike to this particular village?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)