|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frank take Laurence before they go to see Ngema?
(a) To see patients.
(b) On a tour of the town.
(c) For breakfast.
(d) To meet some of the other doctors.
2. What does Frank press Maria to tell him?
(a) Her African name.
(b) Whether or not she is married.
(c) How she feels about him.
(d) How she makes the things she sells.
3. When Frank stops at Mama's to ask about a room, what does he see there?
(a) Zanele kissing and hugging another man.
(b) Military-looking men in civilian attire.
(c) Maria talking to Mama and a strange man.
(d) Mama passing an envelope of money to a strange man.
4. What does Laurence put in the room he rents from Mama for Zanele?
(a) Food and drink.
(c) A bed.
5. Why does Frank lie to Maria?
(a) To keep others from knowning about her.
(b) To protect her from others.
(c) To ensure his own privacy.
(d) To keep his two lives separate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Maria say that she has been where she is?
2. Who is Colonel Moller?
3. Where does Frank tell Zanele Laurence would have learned more about life?
4. Which of the following characters had a failed marriage that is revealed in Chapter 3?
5. What was wrong with the man Frank saw in the cell during his time in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank feel when he learns more details about the relationship between Mama and Frank?
2. What information does Maria tell Frank about how long she has been in town and how she got there?
3. How did Frank come to become a doctor?
4. What happened to Frank's wife, Karen?
5. How did Frank respond to the fact that Laurence rearranged the furniture in their room without asking him?
6. What happens when Frank suggests they stop and eat after swimming and what new information does Laurence reveal about their mission?
7. What confuses Laurence about the hospital?
8. What did Laurence insist was the real reason that Frank became a doctor?
9. Why did Laurence want to hike to this particular village?
10. What is Frank's opinion about the steps Laurence is taking to protect the items at the hospital from looting and how does Laurence respond?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)