|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Frank to be dismayed when he asks Mama about a room?
(a) She will not rent to Laurence.
(b) She refuses to answer him.
(c) She charges him more than she would charge others.
(d) She calls him her friend.
2. What happened to Frank's mother?
(a) She died of leukemia.
(b) She drowned when he was 10.
(c) She died in child birth.
(d) She was killed by soldiers.
3. How does Frank describe his relationship with Maria?
(a) One that lacks tenderness or kissing.
(b) One of deep passionate love.
(c) One of convience.
(d) One where they each satisfy their own needs.
4. What are the border patrol soldiers assigned to do?
(a) To collect taxes and monies from the local business owners.
(b) Keep illegals, drugs and guns out of the country.
(c) To provide security to the locals.
(d) Keep the villagers in order.
5. When Frank stops at Mama's to ask about a room, what does he see there?
(a) Military-looking men in civilian attire.
(b) Zanele kissing and hugging another man.
(c) Mama passing an envelope of money to a strange man.
(d) Maria talking to Mama and a strange man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank still wear his wedding ring?
2. How does Laurence feel about looting?
3. What does Dr. Ngema want from Laurence?
4. Why did Dr. Ngema think the clinic idea was Frank's not Laurence's?
5. How does Zanele feel about her relationship with Laurence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Laurence does Zanele correct while she is talking to Frank?
2. How does Frank feel about Zanele's idealism and how does this relate to how he feels about Laurence?
3. What does Frank keep from Laurence and how does he react to it?
4. What happens the next time Maria and Frank are together after she warned Frank not to come because her husband would be in town?
5. How does Laurence treat all of the patients he sees and how does this make Frank feel?
6. What does Frank offer to do so that Laurence and Zanele can be alone together and how does Laurence respond?
7. What does Frank find when he goes for his own walk?
8. How did Frank come to be stuck at the hospital?
9. What information is shared about Frank's marriage and his current love life?
10. How does Ngema respond to Laurence and how does this affect Laurence?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)