|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zanele feel while she is eating dinner at Mama's?
(a) She is relaxed.
(b) She is surprised.
(c) She is unsure.
(d) She is uncomfortable.
2. Where does Frank tell Zanele Laurence would have learned more about life?
(a) At an orphanage.
(b) Doing community service.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) Working in the city hospital.
3. Why did Frank originally come to the hospital?
(a) To learn about rural illnesses.
(b) To take over for Dr. Ngema.
(c) He was ordered to work there by the government.
(d) To help the poor.
4. Which of the following seems to be Frank's mantra as Laurence attempts to better the hospital and area?
(a) Why bother, it does not matter.
(b) Do not upset the delicate balance.
(c) Why work when there are no patients.
(d) Stop before you make someone angry.
5. What are the border patrol soldiers assigned to do?
(a) To provide security to the locals.
(b) Keep illegals, drugs and guns out of the country.
(c) To collect taxes and monies from the local business owners.
(d) Keep the villagers in order.
6. What surprises Frank about Zanele?
(a) She does not seem to be in love with Laurence.
(b) She does not speak English.
(c) She is unattractive.
(d) She is American.
7. What job does Frank tell Maria he holds?
8. Why do the people hate the hospital where Frank and Laurence work?
(a) Because the doctors do not listen to them.
(b) It is dirty.
(c) The puppet dictator had lived there.
(d) It lacks up-to-date technology.
9. Why does Laurence padlock the door at the end of the hallway?
(a) To keep the patients safe.
(b) To protect Frank from Maria's husband.
(c) To give Frank and himself privacy.
(d) To prevent looting.
10. How does Frank describe his relationship with Maria?
(a) One of convience.
(b) One that lacks tenderness or kissing.
(c) One of deep passionate love.
(d) One where they each satisfy their own needs.
11. Why did the Santanders come to the hospital?
(a) To make a difference.
(b) To preach to the masses.
(c) To change the world.
(d) To hide from the government.
12. What promise does Frank keep to Laurence in regards to Zanele?
(a) He keeps other people away from Zanele.
(b) He takes her out to dinner while Laurence works.
(c) He takes Laurence's shift so Laurence can go out with Zanele.
(d) He tells Zanele the history of the hospital.
13. How does Frank feel about Tehogo's presence?
(a) He envies him.
(b) He resents him.
(c) He respects him.
(d) He despises him.
14. What does Zanele tell Frank about his relationship with Laurence?
(a) Frank is the only person Laurence has ever shared a room with.
(b) Laurence does not trust Frank.
(c) Laurence respects Frank more than he does Zanele.
(d) He is the first friend Laurence ever had.
15. What does Raymond tell Frank about Tehogo?
(a) He will be taking over a new room at the hospital next week.
(b) He will be leaving in a couple of months for a good job.
(c) He will be moving in with Raymond in a month.
(d) He will be leaving to attend medical school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurence's commitment to the patients at the hospital reveal about Frank?
2. What did Laurence do to the room he shares with Frank, that made Frank unhappy?
3. What was wrong with the man Frank saw in the cell during his time in the army?
4. How does Zanele feel about her relationship with Laurence?
5. Why doesn't Laurence go for a swim in the water with Frank?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)