|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which of the following literary devices does Chapter 2 open?
2. What happened to Laurence's parents?
(a) They were doing missionary work in Sudan.
(b) They abandoned him and his sister.
(c) They were killed when he was a baby.
(d) They disowned him when he chose to become a doctor.
3. When was it that Frank pressed Maria to learn her real name?
(a) On his last day off.
(b) On his first day in the town.
(c) As he returned from taking a patient to the real hospital.
(d) When Laurence moved into the room with him.
4. Why does Maria tell Frank not to come one day?
(a) Because she needs to go out.
(b) Because she has to go to work.
(c) Because her husband will be there.
(d) Because her neighbors are beginning to talk.
5. How does Laurence feel about looting?
(a) He doesn't understand what makes people do it.
(b) He thinks it is wrong.
(c) He believes it continues to keep the poor poor.
(d) He thinks it helps the poor.
6. How does Frank feel about Laurence's idea about the village?
(a) He doesn't understand Laurence at all.
(b) He thinks it is crazy.
(c) He doesn't approve of the idea.
(d) He supports the idea.
7. From what was the young illegal immigrant patient suffering?
(a) Mental illness.
8. What causes the fighting to stop?
(a) Mrs. Santanders storms out of the room.
(b) Laurence breaks down the door.
(c) Mr. Santanders comes into Frank and Laurence's room.
(d) Frank knocks on the door.
9. How does Zanele feel about her relationship with Laurence?
(a) She is sure and feels strongly about the relationship.
(b) She is surprised by this different side of Laurence she is seeing.
(c) She is confused and uncertain.
(d) She is in love and feels eager to move forward.
10. When Maria refuses to tell Frank more about her life what does Frank do?
(a) He becomes angry and leaves.
(b) He gives up and has sex with her.
(c) He calls her a liar and they fight.
(d) He begs her to tell him the truth.
11. What question does Laurence continually avoid?
(a) Why did he come to the hospital?
(b) When will he be leaving the hospital?
(c) Why did he become a doctor?
(d) What does he hope to learn at the hospital?
12. How does Laurence seem on his first morning when he is to meet Dr. Negema?
13. What wakes Laurence and Frank up at night after they return to their room from their hike?
(a) The Santanders fighting.
(b) Dr. Ngema asking for help with a patient.
(c) Maria calling for Frank.
(d) The sounds of violence outside of the hospital.
14. What has Frank started doing again with his nights?
(a) Studying new medical techniques.
(b) Visiting Maria.
(c) Helping Laurence around the hospital.
(d) Drinking in town.
15. Why does Dr. Ngema tell Frank that Laurence can't use any of the empty rooms?
(a) There will be others filling up the empty rooms.
(b) There is no furniture in those rooms.
(c) She wants to ensure he feels welcome.
(d) Frank needs to spy on his actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank still wear his wedding ring?
2. Why did Dr. Ngema think the clinic idea was Frank's not Laurence's?
3. Why does Ngema tell Frank that Laurence cannot room with Tehogo?
4. Which of the following terms best describes how Frank feels at the end of Chapter 1?
5. What does Dr. Ngema want to talk to Frank about?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)