|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had the hospital begun?
(a) As a human services project.
(b) As a project of the first chief minister.
(c) As a Christian missionary project.
(d) As a red cross mission.
2. Why does Laurence continue to try and make his improvements?
(a) He wants the premises to look better.
(b) He knows it drives Frank nuts.
(c) Dr. Ngema told him to.
(d) He needs to stay busy.
3. What did Laurence do to the room he shares with Frank, that made Frank unhappy?
(a) Painted the walls.
(b) Hung pictures and paintings on the walls.
(c) Brought in his own personal items.
(d) Rearranged the furniture.
4. Why do the people hate the hospital where Frank and Laurence work?
(a) The puppet dictator had lived there.
(b) It lacks up-to-date technology.
(c) It is dirty.
(d) Because the doctors do not listen to them.
5. Which of the following seems to be Frank's mantra as Laurence attempts to better the hospital and area?
(a) Do not upset the delicate balance.
(b) Stop before you make someone angry.
(c) Why work when there are no patients.
(d) Why bother, it does not matter.
6. What does Frank press Maria to tell him?
(a) Her African name.
(b) How she feels about him.
(c) Whether or not she is married.
(d) How she makes the things she sells.
7. What causes the fighting to stop?
(a) Frank knocks on the door.
(b) Laurence breaks down the door.
(c) Mrs. Santanders storms out of the room.
(d) Mr. Santanders comes into Frank and Laurence's room.
8. How does Laurence feel about looting?
(a) He thinks it is wrong.
(b) He believes it continues to keep the poor poor.
(c) He thinks it helps the poor.
(d) He doesn't understand what makes people do it.
9. What does Raymond tell Frank about Tehogo?
(a) He will be moving in with Raymond in a month.
(b) He will be taking over a new room at the hospital next week.
(c) He will be leaving in a couple of months for a good job.
(d) He will be leaving to attend medical school.
10. What angers Frank about the place Laurence has chosen to hike to?
(a) It is too far away from where they started.
(b) It is the most inaccessible village.
(c) It is a place that is dangerous with many military officials.
(d) It has a militia that does not allow outsiders to enter the village.
11. What happened to Frank's mother?
(a) She was killed by soldiers.
(b) She died in child birth.
(c) She drowned when he was 10.
(d) She died of leukemia.
12. Which of the following is the best descriptor for the character, Dr. Elf?
13. How long has Frank been working at this hospital?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 7 years.
14. What does Laurence profess to Frank at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) His loyalty.
(b) His friendship.
(c) His relief.
(d) His honesty.
15. With which of the following literary devices does Chapter 2 open?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Ngema want to talk to Frank about?
2. What happened to all of the contents of the Brigadier's house?
3. Why did Laurence want to go to the village?
4. How does Zanele feel while she is eating dinner at Mama's?
5. To what position was Dr. Ngema supposed to be promoted?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)