|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boris tell Theo he replaced the stolen painting with in the pillowcase in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
2. What does the construction worker tell Theo his old apartment building is being renovated into in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
3. For how long does Boris tell Theo he worked for Mr. Silver in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
4. Who is Mrs. Barbour’s friend that gave her the dogs after the death of her husband and Andy?
5. What was the name of Mr. Barbour’s uncle that Platt says drowned while trying to cross to the mainland in the 1960s in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boris bring with him when he arrives in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
2. When does Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility” begin? What does Theo learn from Platt Barbour in the beginning of the chapter?
3. How does Theo describe his business dealings in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
4. What does Theo do once he returns to his hotel in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”? Why is this a significant part of the story?
5. Where does Theo meet Boris in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”? What does Boris confess to Theo?
6. Why does Theo assist Hobie and help out with the shop in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
7. What does Theo confess to Hobie in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
8. What letters does Theo write in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”? Why?
9. What does Theo take with him when he departs Hobie’s shop in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”? What does he leave behind?
10. What accusation does Lucius Reeve make regarding Theo’s past in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Larry Decker as presented in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson.” How would you demonstrate Theo’s relationship with his father growing up? How does this relationship differ from Theo’s relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Boris’s plan of action with the art thieves versus the reality of the situation in Chapter 11. What is Theo supposed to do when he meets the dealers? What happens instead? Why do you think that Boris changes the plan suddenly with the art thieves? What is foreshadowed by this action?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Audrey Decker (Theo’s mother) in The Goldfinch. How does Theo feel about his mother? What is their relationship like? Why is Theo in trouble on the day that his mother dies? How does Theo describe his mother’s past?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)