|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following quote opens Part IV of The Goldfinch: “It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons.” Who is attributed to this quotation?
2. What word used in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility” means to confuse or bewilder?
3. Part V of The Goldfinch opens with the following quotation: “We have art in order not to die from the truth.” Who is attributed to this quote?
4. What is Kitsey’s real first name?
5. How much money does Grisha say Hobie pays for his storage facility in Brooklyn in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What setting is Theo at in the beginning of Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
2. How does Theo describe his business dealings in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
3. What does Theo confess to Hobie after he returns home in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
4. How does Theo describe his relationship with drugs in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
5. What does Boris bring with him when he arrives in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
6. How does Boris describe his plan for retrieving the painting to Theo in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
7. When does Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility” begin? What does Theo learn from Platt Barbour in the beginning of the chapter?
8. When does Chapter 10: “The Idiot” begin? What obstacles is Theo facing in the beginning of the chapter?
9. What does Theo do once he returns to his hotel in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”? Why is this a significant part of the story?
10. Why does Theo study relentlessly in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Theo’s actions, objectives, and obstacles following his father’s death in Chapter 6. Why does Theo feel urgency for leaving while Xandra is asleep? What obstacles does Theo face? How are these obstacles overcome?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the legalities of Theo’s situation following the death of his mother. Who would be the first person(s) in this situation to take guardianship of Theo? Why is Theo’s case complicated due to his father’ absence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of aesthetic beauty and art in The Goldfinch. How is the value of art described and illustrated through the narrative? What does the painting The Goldfinch represent symbolically to Theo? Why? What characters in the novel appreciate art and aesthetic beauty?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)