|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the newspapers describe the killings as having taken place in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
2. What does Theo do with the piece of paper that he’s written his locker number and combination at the storage facility in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
3. What character from the dry cleaners does Theo describe always sporting a tape measure around his neck in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
4. What airport does Theo leave New York from after departing his engagement party in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
5. What is the real name of the bar/restaurant that Hobie refers to as “the Local” in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boris bring with him when he arrives in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
2. Where does Theo meet Boris in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”? What does Boris confess to Theo?
3. How does Theo describe his relationship with drugs in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
4. What letters does Theo write in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”? Why?
5. How does Theo describe his time spent with Pippa in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
6. What takes place when Theo meets with the art thieves in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
7. What setting is Theo at in the beginning of Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
8. What does Theo learn about Havistock Irving from Hobie in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
9. How does Theo go about trying to contact Boris in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”? Is he successful?
10. What has Theo done with The Goldfinch after arriving at Hobie’s shop in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Larry Decker as presented in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson.” How would you demonstrate Theo’s relationship with his father growing up? How does this relationship differ from Theo’s relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Theo’s friendships with Boris and with Hobie in the novel. How would you compare these friendships? What are some of the positive aspects of Theo’s new friendship with Boris? What are some of the negative aspects of the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Lucius Reeve in the novel. Where has Theo first met Lucius Reeve? What are Lucius Reeve’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? How has Mr. Reeve come to the conclusion that Theo has The Goldfinch?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)