|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman that works for Boris what Theo meets when he first sees Boris in New York in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
2. Part V of The Goldfinch opens with the following quotation: “We have art in order not to die from the truth.” Who is attributed to this quote?
3. What word used in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility” means to confuse or bewilder?
4. Who does Theo go to see at his old apartment building in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
5. What psychiatric disorder had Mr. Barbour been diagnosed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Theo describe his business dealings in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
2. What does Theo confess to Hobie after he returns home in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
3. What has Theo done with The Goldfinch after arriving at Hobie’s shop in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
4. How does Theo describe his time spent with Pippa in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
5. What accusation does Lucius Reeve make regarding Theo’s past in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
6. What does Theo do once he returns to his hotel in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”? Why is this a significant part of the story?
7. How does Theo describe his actions in the past year in the conclusion of Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”? How is Theo’s outlook at the end of the novel?
8. Where does Theo meet Boris in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”? What does Boris confess to Theo?
9. How does Theo describe his relationship with drugs in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
10. Why does Theo assist Hobie and help out with the shop in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Theo’s friendships with Boris and with Hobie in the novel. How would you compare these friendships? What are some of the positive aspects of Theo’s new friendship with Boris? What are some of the negative aspects of the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of aesthetic beauty and art in The Goldfinch. How is the value of art described and illustrated through the narrative? What does the painting The Goldfinch represent symbolically to Theo? Why? What characters in the novel appreciate art and aesthetic beauty?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Audrey Decker (Theo’s mother) in The Goldfinch. How does Theo feel about his mother? What is their relationship like? Why is Theo in trouble on the day that his mother dies? How does Theo describe his mother’s past?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)