|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie’s poster hangs over the bed where Pippa lays when Theo meets her in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
2. After receiving the phone call from Child Services in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson,” Theo describes himself as “immobile, stunned with despair,” and compares himself with what animals?
3. What character from Sesame Street does Theo compare the “Hispanic guy in a shirt and tie” to that arrives at his door in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
4. What museum are Theo and his mother when his mother is killed?
5. What is the name of the social worker from the Department of Child and Family Services that calls Theo and asks to speak to his father in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fears occupy Theo’s mind as a young child, as illustrated in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”? Why?
2. What obstacle appears in Theo’s and Boris’s friendship in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
3. Who questions Theo once he returns to school in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”? How is this scenario described?
4. Where is Pippa being taken in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”? Why? How does Pippa feel about her circumstances?
5. How does Theo describe the sexual undertones of his friendship with Boris in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
6. How would you describe Theo’s mindset when he arrives home in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
7. What do Theo and Hobie discuss on Theo’s first visit in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
8. What themes are central in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”? How are these themes illuminated?
9. How does the narrator describe his mother in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
10. What is the significance of the dream that is described by the narrator in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Lucius Reeve in the novel. Where has Theo first met Lucius Reeve? What are Lucius Reeve’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? How has Mr. Reeve come to the conclusion that Theo has The Goldfinch?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Hobie’s shop in the novel. How large is the shop? Where in the building does Hobie have his workshop set up? Where does Hobie live in relation to the store? What are Theo’s impressions of this setting?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of grief in the novel and discuss Theo’s thoughts and emotions upon learning of the death of his mother. How does Theo describe his sense of “numbness”? What imagery and symbolism does the author employ to help develop this theme?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)