|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hobie’s full name?
2. What does the nickname “Kotku” that Boris gives his girlfriend mean in English?
3. Who is the school counselor that talks to Theo after his mother’s death in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
4. What language does Boris say he learned first growing up in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
5. Who is the “big happy Dominican guy” that Theo describes as his favorite doorman in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the dream that is described by the narrator in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
2. What do Theo and Hobie discuss on Theo’s first visit in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
3. How does Theo come to the realization that his mother has died in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
4. What is Theo’s principle internal conflict in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
5. What does Theo discover by eavesdropping at his new home in Las Vegas in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
6. Who informs Theo of his father’s death in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”? How does Theo respond?
7. How does Theo describe his relationship with his father in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
8. How does Theo’s father behave toward Theo in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
9. Where is Pippa being taken in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”? Why? How does Pippa feel about her circumstances?
10. Where is Theo being taken in the beginning of Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of James Hobart in the novel. How old is Hobie when Theo meets him? What was Hobie’s relationship to Welty? How does Hobie differ from the other adult characters that Theo has encountered since his mother’s death?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of alienation in the novel. How has Theo become alienated in Las Vegas? How does his alienation differ here from in New York? What are some examples of symbolism and imagery that support this theme in the reading?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Lucius Reeve in the novel. Where has Theo first met Lucius Reeve? What are Lucius Reeve’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? How has Mr. Reeve come to the conclusion that Theo has The Goldfinch?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)