|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Andy Barbour’s father?
2. Theo says as he leaves for Las Vegas in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine” that he has never been out of New York City for more than how many days before?
3. What is Boris’s last name?
4. Who is the school principle that Theo and his mother have a meeting with on the day that she is killed?
5. What time is it when Theo hangs up the phone with the worker from Child Services in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the novel? What are the current circumstances of the narrator in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
2. How does the narrator describe his mother in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
3. How does Theo describe his father’s “newfound” addictions and behavior in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
4. How does Theo’s father behave toward Theo in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
5. Where does Theo meet Hobie in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
6. What is Theo’s principle internal conflict in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
7. How would you describe Theo’s mindset when he arrives home in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
8. Who informs Theo of his father’s death in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”? How does Theo respond?
9. What fears occupy Theo’s mind as a young child, as illustrated in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”? Why?
10. Where is Pippa being taken in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”? Why? How does Pippa feel about her circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Theo’s friendships with Boris and with Hobie in the novel. How would you compare these friendships? What are some of the positive aspects of Theo’s new friendship with Boris? What are some of the negative aspects of the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of aesthetic beauty and art in The Goldfinch. How is the value of art described and illustrated through the narrative? What does the painting The Goldfinch represent symbolically to Theo? Why? What characters in the novel appreciate art and aesthetic beauty?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Larry Decker as presented in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson.” How would you demonstrate Theo’s relationship with his father growing up? How does this relationship differ from Theo’s relationship with his mother?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)