|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Boris say he learned first growing up in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
2. What does Theo say Kotku’s last name is in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
3. What is the name of the male social worker that takes Theo to the diner in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
4. Who is Theo’s history teacher that he describes as having grown up in a tough Boston neighborhood in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
5. Who is the math teacher that describes his brother’s death in a car accident to Theo in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Theo meet Hobie in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
2. What event does the narrator describe on April 10, fourteen years prior, in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
3. What obstacle appears in Theo’s and Boris’s friendship in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
4. Who informs Theo of his father’s death in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”? How does Theo respond?
5. Why does Theo’s father make Theo call his mother’s lawyer in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”? What does Theo learn during the call?
6. What psychological disorder does Theo’s father display the characteristics of, as seen in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
7. Where is Pippa being taken in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”? Why? How does Pippa feel about her circumstances?
8. How does Theo describe his father’s “newfound” addictions and behavior in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
9. What does Theo learn about the red-headed girl in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
10. What do Theo and Hobie discuss on Theo’s first visit in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Andy Barbour in the novel. For how long has Theo known Andy? Why does Theo give the social workers Andy’s phone number when they ask him if he knows someone he might stay with? How do Andy and Theo differ as characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of alienation in the novel. How has Theo become alienated in Las Vegas? How does his alienation differ here from in New York? What are some examples of symbolism and imagery that support this theme in the reading?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the legalities of Theo’s situation following the death of his mother. Who would be the first person(s) in this situation to take guardianship of Theo? Why is Theo’s case complicated due to his father’ absence?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)