|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many letters does Theo set out to write before committing suicide in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
2. Who is the author of Being and Time?
(a) T. E. Lawrence.
(b) Martin Heidegger.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Francois de la Fochefoucauld.
3. Where does Boris say his wife lives mostly with his children in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
(a) New York.
4. Who is Mrs. Barbour’s friend that gave her the dogs after the death of her husband and Andy?
(a) Mercedes de la Pereyra.
(b) Joey Cable.
(c) Mike McNatt.
(d) Saffi Caspersen.
5. What name is on the bank draft that Boris gives to Theo to give to the underground art dealers in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Farruco Frantisek.
(c) Mike McNatt.
(d) Tyler Olowska.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Theo looking for at the Russian bar in the Village when he runs into Boris in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
2. What psychiatric disorder had Mr. Barbour been diagnosed with?
3. Who is Mrs. Barbour’s assistant that Theo considers calling to help him get a flight home in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
4. What is the name of Theo’s counselor at the early college program he begins attending in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
5. What nickname does Bobo Silver have in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Theo meet Boris in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”? What does Boris confess to Theo?
2. How does Theo describe his relationship with drugs in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
3. What does Theo confess to Hobie after he returns home in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
4. What does Theo do once he returns to his hotel in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”? Why is this a significant part of the story?
5. What has Theo done with The Goldfinch after arriving at Hobie’s shop in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
6. What arrangements are made for Theo’s guardianship in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
7. What does Theo learn about Havistock Irving from Hobie in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
8. When does Chapter 10: “The Idiot” begin? What obstacles is Theo facing in the beginning of the chapter?
9. What accusation does Lucius Reeve make regarding Theo’s past in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
10. What leads to the conflicts between Theo and Kitsey in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)