|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator describe locking himself in his hotel room for over a week in the beginning of Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
(c) New York.
2. How old is Theo when his mother is killed?
3. What kind of car does Theo’s father drive when they leave the Las Vegas airport in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
(a) A Cadillac.
(b) A Jeep.
(c) A Lexus.
(d) A Porsche.
4. How does Theo describe the woman that arrives at his door in the end of Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
(a) A petite Irish woman.
(b) A tall Native American woman.
(c) A chubby Korean woman.
(d) An elderly black woman.
5. What kind of dog does Xandra have?
(a) A miniature pincher.
(b) A German Shepherd.
(c) A Great Dane.
(d) A Maltese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the death of Pippa’s mother?
2. What is the name of the bar that Xandra manages on the Strip in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
3. What is the name of Xandra’s dog?
4. Who is the telephone message from that Theo listens to after returning home from the bombing in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
5. What is Boris’s last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Theo’s father behave toward Theo in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
2. What psychological disorder does Theo’s father display the characteristics of, as seen in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
3. What event does the narrator describe on April 10, fourteen years prior, in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
4. Why does Theo’s father make Theo call his mother’s lawyer in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”? What does Theo learn during the call?
5. What fears occupy Theo’s mind as a young child, as illustrated in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”? Why?
6. What information does Theo learn regarding his grandparents in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
7. Who is the narrator of the novel? What are the current circumstances of the narrator in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
8. How is the arrival of Theo’s father described in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”? Who accompanies Theo’s father when he arrives?
9. Where does Theo go to stay after his mother’s death in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”? Why?
10. How does Theo describe the setting of Boris’s bedroom in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)