|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has Theo killed in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
2. Grisha tells Theo in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued” that the term “Russian Jew” is what?
(a) A metaphor.
(c) An oxymoron.
(d) A simile.
3. What word from Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal” refers to excruciating distress or suffering?
4. The cop show that Theo sees his father on in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point” is from about what year?
5. What gemstone is featured on the necklace that Theo leaves for Pippa in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
6. What is Victor’s last name in the novel?
7. What item of jewelry does Theo give to Kitsey to wear at their wedding in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
(a) His mother’s emerald earrings.
(b) Pippa's diamond bracelet.
(c) His grandmother's wedding ring.
(d) A turquoise necklace.
8. Who does Boris say he suspects stole the painting in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
9. For how many years does Theo say old Mr. Leopold had lived in the apartment building where Theo and his mother had lived in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 35 years.
(c) Over 80 years.
(d) Over 70 years.
10. What was the name of Mr. Barbour’s uncle that Platt says drowned while trying to cross to the mainland in the 1960s in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
11. What does “Cutty Sark” mean, according to Theo in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
(a) Tall woman.
(b) Young child.
(c) Short skirt.
(d) Blonde woman.
12. What is the profession of the thief who is discovered in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop” for stealing three paintings after the museum explosion?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Museum curator.
13. Where was the painter George van der Mijn born?
14. What are the names of Mrs. Barbour’s dogs that Theo meets when he visits her in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
(a) Ting-a-Ling and Clementine.
(b) Bobo and Mittens.
(c) Chiva and Pittsy.
(d) Socks and Spot.
15. What is the name of Theo’s counselor at the early college program he begins attending in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real name of the bar/restaurant that Hobie refers to as “the Local” in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
2. What is the name of Theo’s step-grandmother in the novel?
3. The following quote opens Part IV of The Goldfinch: “It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons.” Who is attributed to this quotation?
4. What word described by Theo in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop” refers to arrogance or excessive pride?
5. What does Theo do with the piece of paper that he’s written his locker number and combination at the storage facility in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)