|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the thief who is discovered in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop” for stealing three paintings after the museum explosion?
(a) Museum curator.
(b) Police officer.
2. What percentage of the reward money does Boris say he gave to Dima and Anton each in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point”?
(a) 20% each.
(b) 15% each.
(c) 40% each.
(d) 10% each.
3. When did Rembrandt live?
4. What is Kitsey’s real first name?
5. Platt Barbour tells Theo that he has just begun working for what academic publisher in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
(d) Compton and Smith.
6. Who does Boris say he suspects stole the painting in Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
7. What is the name of Theo’s bike-messenger drug-dealer in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
8. Who tells Theo that he’s seen men stalking outside of the antiques shop in Chapter 10: “The Idiot”?
9. Where in New York does Theo put The Goldfinch in a storage facility in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
(a) The Upper West Side.
(b) The Lower East Side.
(c) Greenwich Village.
10. Theo says in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point,” “Whatever you said about my dad, you couldn’t say he didn’t have” what?
(b) A cohesive world view.
11. Part V of The Goldfinch opens with the following quotation: “We have art in order not to die from the truth.” Who is attributed to this quote?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Albert Camus.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) Friedrich Nietzsche.
12. What is the reported value of the rediscovered Rembrandt that was stolen from the museum after the attack?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $30 million.
(c) $40 million.
(d) $50 million.
13. When was Seven Pillars of Arabia published?
14. What item does Theo buy at a sporting goods store to storage along with the painting in Chapter 8: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop, continued”?
(a) An easel.
(b) A pup tent.
(c) A canoe.
(d) A suitcase.
15. What was the name of Mr. Barbour’s uncle that Platt says drowned while trying to cross to the mainland in the 1960s in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
Short Answer Questions
1. The following quote opens Part IV of The Goldfinch: “It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons.” Who is attributed to this quotation?
2. What is the name of the boarding school that Pippa attends in Chapter 7: “The Shop-Behind-the-Shop”?
3. How long ago does Platt say that Andy died in Chapter 9: “Everything of Possibility”?
4. Who is the driver for Boris when he and Theo leave Theo’s engagement party in the beginning of Chapter 11: “The Gentleman’s Canal”?
5. The cop show that Theo sees his father on in Chapter 12: “The Rendezvous Point” is from about what year?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)