|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bar that Xandra manages on the Strip in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
(c) Cat Call.
(d) Bar None.
2. What character from Sesame Street does Theo compare the “Hispanic guy in a shirt and tie” to that arrives at his door in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
3. How many years ago does Theo describe his mother’s death as occurring in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
(a) 14 years ago.
(b) 16 years ago.
(c) 10 years ago.
(d) 4 years ago.
4. What is the name of the street that Theo’s father lives on in Las Vegas?
(a) Rose Petal Road.
(b) Desert End Road.
(c) Mountain Vista Lane.
(d) Casino End Lane.
5. By what nickname does Hobie refer to his former business partner?
6. What is the name of the computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey that Theo associates the Child Services worker’s voice with in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
7. A quote from what author opens Part II of The Goldfinch?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Arthur Rimbaud.
(d) James Joyce.
8. What is Mrs. Barbour’s first name?
9. Who wrote The Grapes of Wrath?
(a) Carson McCullers.
(b) John Steinbeck.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
10. What does Hobie tell Theo that he is, as opposed to a businessman, in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
(a) A cabinet maker.
(b) A print-maker.
(c) A musician.
(d) A painter.
11. What is the name of the social worker from the Department of Child and Family Services that calls Theo and asks to speak to his father in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
(a) Carson McCullers.
(b) Mathilde Beeman.
(c) Marjorie Beth Weinberg.
(d) Joey Cable.
12. Where is the note postmarked from that Theo’s mother receives after he leaves the family in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
(a) Cleveland, Ohio.
(b) Little Rock, Arkansas.
(c) Camden, New Jersey.
(d) Newark, New Jersey.
13. On what date does Theo’s mother die in the narrative?
(a) March 12.
(b) September 11.
(c) April 10.
(d) June 14.
14. What is Hobie’s full name?
(a) Hubert Hobart.
(b) William Hobbes.
(c) Jeremy Hobart.
(d) James Hobart.
15. How old is Theo when his mother is killed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Theo say “avoided me as assiduously as if I were a girl he’d dumped” after the death of his mother in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
2. What is the name of Andy Barbour’s brother whose room Theo stays in after his mother’s death?
3. Who is the math teacher that describes his brother’s death in a car accident to Theo in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
4. How many surgeries does Hobie say Pippa had last week for broken bones in Chapter 4: “Morphine Lollipop”?
5. What are the names of Andy Barbour’s younger siblings?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)