|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Theo when he describes locking himself in a hotel room for over a week in the beginning of Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
2. Who is the school principle that Theo and his mother have a meeting with on the day that she is killed?
(a) Mr. Beeman.
(b) Mr. Borowsky.
(c) Mr. Neuspeil.
(d) Mr. O’Shea.
3. Who is the Danish girl in Theo’s class that has a crush on Boris in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
(a) Carson McCullers.
(b) Farruco Frantisek.
(c) Saffi Caspersen.
(d) Sascha Cable.
4. Who wrote The Grapes of Wrath?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Carson McCullers.
(d) John Steinbeck.
5. After receiving the phone call from Child Services in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson,” Theo describes himself as “immobile, stunned with despair,” and compares himself with what animals?
(a) Lab rats.
(d) Stranded cats.
6. Where does Theo tell the social workers that his paternal grandparents live in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
7. What character from Sesame Street does Theo compare the “Hispanic guy in a shirt and tie” to that arrives at his door in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
8. What was the name of Pippa’s mother?
9. How does Theo describe his father in “the diplomatic way of putting it” in Chapter 2: “The Anatomy Lesson”?
10. How much does Boris say Kotku weighs in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
(a) 95 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 81 pounds.
(d) 134 pounds.
11. Where does Naaman Silver tell Theo he is from in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
(a) Springfield, Illinois.
(b) Newark, New Jersey.
(c) Canarsie, New York.
(d) Trenton, New Jersey.
12. Who is the author of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter?
(a) T. E. Lawrence.
(b) Carson McCullers.
(c) Francois de la Fochefoucauld.
(d) Farruco Frantisek.
13. What is the name of the female bartender at the mining camp that taught Boris to speak English, according to his story in Chapter 5: “Badr al-Dine”?
14. What job did Theo’s mother work at part-time after coming to New York?
(a) Art preservation.
(d) Law assistant.
15. What is the name of the street that Theo’s father lives on in Las Vegas?
(a) Desert End Road.
(b) Mountain Vista Lane.
(c) Casino End Lane.
(d) Rose Petal Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Theo’s mother live by Annette, the fireman’s widow?
2. By what nickname does Hobie refer to his former business partner?
3. What color hair does Theo describe his mother as having in Chapter 1: “Boy with a Skull”?
4. Who is the school counselor that talks to Theo after his mother’s death in Chapter 3: “Park Avenue”?
5. What does Theo say Kotku’s last name is in Chapter 6: “Wind, Sand and Stars”?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)