|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say is the way to a better life?
2. What does the Queen tell Tom after he is healed?
3. What does Chade suggest to Tom about the coterie?
4. What type of symbol does Tom discuss in the epilogue?
5. Who had the same problem with Tom as Dutiful in the Skill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor is passed around about Laudwine's death?
2. How does Tom hear the conversation between Laudwine and Padget and what does he find out?
3. What does Golden want to do about the quest and how does Chade handle Golden and why does Chade do what he does with Golden?
4. What does Starling tell Tom about her marriage and what is his response?
5. What happens between Tom and Svanja's father and what does Hap tell Tom about love?
6. Where is Tom when he wakes up from being stabbed and who comes to get him?
7. What happens during Tom's confrontation with Laudwine, when does he see Henja and what happens to Tom right after he sees Henja?
8. What weapon will Tom carry and why and what does Chade tell Tom about Swift?
9. How does Tom find out about Thick's spying and what does Civil teach Dutiful?
10. What does Tom say to Golden before he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "The Golden Fool".
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "The Golden Fool".
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "The Golden Fool".
Essay Topic 2
In "The Golden Fool" and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Golden Fool", there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
3. Who do you think Fitz trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)