|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dutiful ask Thick to do?
2. How does Tom feel when they ride to meet the Old Blood?
3. What does Chade say about the Bingtown traders and their dragon?
4. What does Laudwine tell Padget to do about Civil?
5. What were the Piebalds doing to Civil's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor is passed around about Laudwine's death?
2. What idea does Tom discuss in the epilogue?
3. What does Civil do about the meeting between the Queen and the Old Blood and how does everyone feel about his action?
4. How does Tom find out about Thick's spying and what does Civil teach Dutiful?
5. How does Tom heal from his stab wound?
6. What does Tom say to Golden before he leaves?
7. What happens between Tom and Svanja's father and what does Hap tell Tom about love?
8. What is Golden, why does Kebal hate him and what does Golden say Kebal will do if she comes to power?
9. What does Tom tell Chade about Golden and what is Chade's response?
10. How does Tom find out about Civil and the Piebalds and what does he hear about them? What does Tom do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Golden Fool" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Golden Fool" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Golden Fool" it appears that most of the true heroics are done by men. This type of stereotyping is changing and women are being given more and more active, heroic and physical roles in fantasy novels.
1. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Queen Kettricken.
2. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Laurel.
3. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Jinna.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Golden Fool" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Golden Fool" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)