|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Queen ride out to meet the Old Blood?
2. Who will go with Dutiful on his trip?
3. What does Golden plan to do about Dutiful's quest?
4. Why does Kebal want to kill Fitz or Tom?
5. Why is Chade burned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom find out about Thick's spying and what does Civil teach Dutiful?
2. How does Tom get Thick's red whistle to him, what does he tell Dutiful and Thick and what does Dutiful think of Thick?
3. Why is Nettle upset and what is Tom's advice to her?
4. How does Tom heal from his stab wound?
5. What happens during Tom's confrontation with Laudwine, when does he see Henja and what happens to Tom right after he sees Henja?
6. What does Starling tell Tom about her marriage and what is his response?
7. What does Tom tell Chade about Golden and what is Chade's response?
8. Where has Civil been, and why does Tom not trust Civil?
9. What idea does Tom discuss in the epilogue?
10. What does Tom realize about the coterie and what does Chade want to do about the coterie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to the Wit or the Skill?
2. If you had a choice between having the Wit or the Skill, which would you chose? Why?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Golden Fool", there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
3. Who do you think Fitz trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)