|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Prince think of Thick?
2. Why is Nettle upset?
3. What does Tom do while recuperating?
4. How is Tom healed of his injury?
5. What does Chade hear in the Skill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen say about Nettle?
2. What do some of the Old Blood want and how does Web react to being a hostage? How does Tom see Web?
3. Where is Tom when he wakes up from being stabbed and who comes to get him?
4. Where has Civil been, and why does Tom not trust Civil?
5. What happens during Tom's confrontation with Laudwine, when does he see Henja and what happens to Tom right after he sees Henja?
6. Why does Tom worry about Dutiful and how are the Skill lessons going with the coterie?
7. What does the Queen do about the Old Bloods?
8. What does Starling tell Tom about her marriage and what is his response?
9. Why is Nettle upset and what is Tom's advice to her?
10. How does Tom find out about Thick's spying and what does Civil teach Dutiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes "The Golden Fool" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Fitz. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of the Narcheska. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dutiful. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Golden Fool" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Golden Fool" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
"The Golden Fool" falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know "The Golden Fool" falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)