|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chade burned?
2. What does the Queen announce about the Witted?
3. For what reason does Thick's employer tell Thick to be careful of Tom?
4. Who had the same problem with Tom as Dutiful in the Skill?
5. How long does Tom sleep after he is healed?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Golden Fool" and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "The Golden Fool".
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "The Golden Fool".
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "The Golden Fool".
Essay Topic 3
"The Golden Fool" is one book in a series of novels involving the Farseers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 2,354 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)