|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom pretend about Nettle?
2. Where does Tom wake up after he kills Laudwine?
3. What does Jinna ask when Tom visits her after he recovers?
4. What does Tom do when Dutiful does not come for his lesson?
5. Why is Swift at the court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Golden want to do about the quest and how does Chade handle Golden and why does Chade do what he does with Golden?
2. Where is Tom when he wakes up from being stabbed and who comes to get him?
3. Who will go with Dutiful on his quest, who is teaching Dutiful, Civil and Swift about the Old Blood and what is Swift now?
4. What does Tom say to Golden before he leaves?
5. Where has Civil been, and why does Tom not trust Civil?
6. What does Civil do about the meeting between the Queen and the Old Blood and how does everyone feel about his action?
7. How does Tom hear the conversation between Laudwine and Padget and what does he find out?
8. How does Tom find out about Thick's spying and what does Civil teach Dutiful?
9. What happens during Tom's confrontation with Laudwine, when does he see Henja and what happens to Tom right after he sees Henja?
10. What happens between Tom and Svanja's father and what does Hap tell Tom about love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Assassin's Quest, including some of Fitz's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in "The Golden Fool" and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Fitz and his responses to them.
3. Although Fitz is considered inferior because he is a bastard, he seems to be as deep into the political situation as any of the legitimately born nobles. Discuss why you think this is so?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Golden Fool". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hobb chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hobb chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hobb's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hobb use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "The Golden Fool" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Fitz. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of the Narcheska. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dutiful. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)