Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chade burned?
2. What does the Queen announce about the Witted?
3. For what reason does Thick's employer tell Thick to be careful of Tom?
4. Who had the same problem with Tom as Dutiful in the Skill?
5. How long does Tom sleep after he is healed?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Golden Fool", there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
3. Who do you think Fitz trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
"The Golden Fool" falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know "The Golden Fool" falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Golden Fool" and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)