|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dutiful ask Thick to do?
2. What does Nettle tell Tom in his dreams?
3. What is Tom doing about Nettle?
4. What does Tom realize about Chade and Skill?
5. What happens in Tom's body when it is healed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Tom and Svanja's father and what does Hap tell Tom about love?
2. What does the Queen say about Nettle?
3. Why is Nettle upset and what is Tom's advice to her?
4. What does Tom tell Chade about Golden and what is Chade's response?
5. What is Golden, why does Kebal hate him and what does Golden say Kebal will do if she comes to power?
6. How does Tom get Thick's red whistle to him, what does he tell Dutiful and Thick and what does Dutiful think of Thick?
7. Why is Swift at court and what is the Queen's decision about him?
8. How does Tom heal from his stab wound?
9. What does the Queen do about the Witted?
10. What rumor is passed around about Laudwine's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Golden Fool" it appears that most of the true heroics are done by men. This type of stereotyping is changing and women are being given more and more active, heroic and physical roles in fantasy novels.
1. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Queen Kettricken.
2. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Laurel.
3. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Jinna.
Essay Topic 2
"The Golden Fool" is one book in a series of novels involving the Farseers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to the Wit or the Skill?
2. If you had a choice between having the Wit or the Skill, which would you chose? Why?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)