|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peottre do with the gown given to Narcheska for the ball?
2. What does Peottre put on the Narcheska's back?
3. Of whom is Dutiful jealous?
4. What does Chade say about Nettle?
5. What does the Queen tell Tom about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tom able to go to his cottage to retrieve his belongings and what does he find when he arrives there?
2. How does Tom speak with his daughter in Chapter III?
3. What happens during Tom's confrontation with Laudwine, when does he see Henja and what happens to Tom right after he sees Henja?
4. What happens when Tom meets with the Queen in Chapter IV?
5. What does Dutiful ask Tom about Golden and what is Tom's response?
6. What does Tom see and hear when he spies on the Narcheska?
7. What does Laurel tell Tom?
8. Why is Nettle upset and what is Tom's advice to her?
9. Why does Tom worry about Dutiful and how are the Skill lessons going with the coterie?
10. How does Tom heal from his stab wound?
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "The Golden Fool" is? Explain your response
Essay Topic 2
"The Golden Fool" is one book in a series of novels involving the Farseers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Golden Fool is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)