|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bingtown want to do with Chalced?
2. Who sees Tom hug Laurel?
3. What is wrong with Tom's cottage?
4. Why does Tom ask Chade to send Thick away during his lessons with Dutiful?
5. What do the Narcheska and Peottre do about the Bingtown traders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Starling, where does Tom see her and what happens after Jinna's when Tom leaves Starling?
2. How does Dutiful insult the Narcheska?
3. What happens when Tom meets with the Queen in Chapter IV?
4. How does the Narcheska enter the betrothal ceremony, what does her father do and how do the Farseers feel about his action?
5. What happens in Dutiful's first skill lesson?
6. How does Tom know a little about the Narcheska and what does he see about her?
7. What do the Piebalds claim about the Witted, and what is actually true about the Piebalds?
8. Who goes riding with the prince and Lady Vance and what does Peottre announce?
9. Where do Tom, Dutiful and Golden go in Chapter III, what does Dutiful ask of Tom, what is Tom's response and why is Dutiful jealous about Tom?
10. Why has Bingtown sent ambassadors to Buckkeep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Golden Fool", there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
3. Who do you think Fitz trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Golden Fool" and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)