|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nettle show up?
2. Why does the Queen want to help the Old Blood?
3. How does Golden feel about Tom?
4. What does Tom do when the Narcheska makes her announcement?
5. What does Peottre do with the gown given to Narcheska for the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom speak with his daughter in Chapter III?
2. What conversation does Tom over hear at the beginning of Chapter VI and what is his response?
3. Who is Thick, what is his ability and what does Chade want Tom to do about Thick?
4. Why has Bingtown sent ambassadors to Buckkeep?
5. What is the Piebald's goal and how do they work towards that goal?
6. What does Tom tell Hap about Nighteyes, how does Hap feel and why is Tom upset with Hap?
7. How does the Narcheska enter the betrothal ceremony, what does her father do and how do the Farseers feel about his action?
8. What does Dutiful ask Tom about Golden and what is Tom's response?
9. What happens when Tom goes to the tavern to look for Hap?
10. What does Tom see and hear when he spies on the Narcheska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Golden Fool" is one book in a series of novels involving the Farseers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Golden Fool is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Golden Fool". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "The Golden Fool". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Golden Fool". Include the homicides and suicide that happen in the story.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)