|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Queen want to help the Old Blood?
2. What must Tom teach Dutiful?
3. How does Hap feel about his apprenticeship?
4. What does Dutiful teach Civil?
5. What is Tom's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nettle upset and what is Tom's advice to her?
2. What does Dutiful ask Tom about Golden and what is Tom's response?
3. How does the Narcheska enter the betrothal ceremony, what does her father do and how do the Farseers feel about his action?
4. What does Golden want to do about the quest and how does Chade handle Golden and why does Chade do what he does with Golden?
5. What is Golden, why does Kebal hate him and what does Golden say Kebal will do if she comes to power?
6. How does Tom know a little about the Narcheska and what does he see about her?
7. What happens when Tom goes to the tavern to look for Hap?
8. What is the Piebald's goal and how do they work towards that goal?
9. What conversation does Tom over hear at the beginning of Chapter VI and what is his response?
10. What does Tom realize about the coterie and what does Chade want to do about the coterie?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Golden Fool". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "The Golden Fool". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Golden Fool". Include the homicides and suicide that happen in the story.
Essay Topic 2
"The Golden Fool" falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know "The Golden Fool" falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Golden Fool" and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 2,941 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)