|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do ambassadors come from Bingtown?
2. What did the Piebalds do to the prince?
3. Why does Laurel think Tom should leave Buckkeep?
4. What does Chade say Tom must do about Thick?
5. What does Golden say Dutiful should learn about the Narcheska?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Thick, what is his ability and what does Chade want Tom to do about Thick?
2. What does Laurel tell Tom?
3. What does Dutiful want from Tom concerning the prince's betrothal party and what does he order Tom to do? How does Golden help with the prince's command to Tom?
4. What conversation does Tom over hear at the beginning of Chapter VI and what is his response?
5. What does Dutiful say about the Narcheska, and what does Golden tell the prince?
6. Why does Chade tell Tom Thick must be taught the Skill and what does Tom request of the Queen about Nettle?
7. How does Tom know a little about the Narcheska and what does he see about her?
8. Why does Laurel decide to leave Buckkeep?
9. What happens when Tom goes to Golden's quarters in Chapter XII?
10. What does Tom tell Hap about Nighteyes, how does Hap feel and why is Tom upset with Hap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Golden Fool", there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout "The Golden Fool".
3. Who do you think Fitz trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Assassin's Quest, including some of Fitz's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in "The Golden Fool" and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Fitz and his responses to them.
3. Although Fitz is considered inferior because he is a bastard, he seems to be as deep into the political situation as any of the legitimately born nobles. Discuss why you think this is so?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "The Golden Fool" is? Explain your response
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)