|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Piebalds want to keep Tom alive?
2. What does Tom see on the Narcheska's back?
3. What does Thick say about the prince when Tom meets with Thick and Chade?
4. What does Tom offer Chade?
5. Who does Hap want Tom to meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom think of Molly when he drinks?
2. Why does Chade tell Tom Thick must be taught the Skill and what does Tom request of the Queen about Nettle?
3. What does Dutiful want from Tom concerning the prince's betrothal party and what does he order Tom to do? How does Golden help with the prince's command to Tom?
4. What does the boy from Bingtown ask Tom and what does he tell Tom?
5. How does the Narcheska enter the betrothal ceremony, what does her father do and how do the Farseers feel about his action?
6. What does Dutiful ask Tom about Golden and what is Tom's response?
7. What do the Piebalds claim about the Witted, and what is actually true about the Piebalds?
8. What happens when Tom goes to the tavern to look for Hap?
9. What does Laurel tell Tom?
10. How does Dutiful insult the Narcheska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Golden Fool". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hobb chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hobb chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hobb's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hobb use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Golden Fool is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "The Golden Fool".
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "The Golden Fool".
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "The Golden Fool".
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)