|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maggie set the golden bowl so that her husband will see it?
2. What is the Prince reminded of as he speaks to Charlotte in Chapter 9 of Book Third?
3. What does Fanny fear being accused of if the truth about the Prince and Charlotte's former relationship comes out?
4. Why do Charlotte and the Prince stay at the party longer than most other guests?
5. What does Fanny try to convince Maggie not to meddle with in Book Fourth Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book Fifth, Chapter 5, how does Fanny explain the sullen behavior being exhibited by Charlotte to Maggie?
2. In Book Fourth Chapter 3, what does Maggie devise a plan for? What does this plan include.
3. How does Mr. Verver describe himself, Charlotte, the Prince, and Maggie as a group while speaking to Maggie in the park?
4. What does Charlotte ask Maggie in Book Fifth Chapter 1, and how does Charlotte ask Maggie to prove her response?
5. In Book Fourth Chapter 7, what do the Assinghams remind each other of? What does Fanny worry about being accused of if the truth about the Prince's and Charlotte's relationship comes out?
6. When Charlotte visits the Prince in Book Third Chapter 5, what do they discuss?
7. What does Maggie suggest the Prince do on their way home from the dinner party in Book Fourth Chapter 3? How does the Prince then startle Maggie?
8. What does Maggie see on Fanny's face when Maggie speaks to her about the relationship between Charlotte and the Prince in Book Fourth Chapter 6?
9. What does Fanny notice about the Prince's and the Ververs' households in Book Third Chapter 6?
10. What is the day that Charlotte and the Prince are able to spend together likened to in Book Third Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Charlotte and Adam. Is their marriage a happy one? Why did they decide to marry? What do they admire about one another? What problems exist in their marriage? Are they able to overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the imagery that James uses in "The Golden Bowl." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze James's use of irony. What are the different types of irony? Are there examples of each type in the novel? What are some examples of irony in the novel? What do these examples mean?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)