|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fanny say her opinion of Charlotte has changed in Book Third Chapter 10?
2. How does Mr. Verver describe himself, Charlotte, the Prince, and Maggie as a group?
3. What is Charlotte described as being led by her husband by in Book Fifth Chapter 4?
4. Who does Maggie call to her room just before a dinner party in Book Fourth Chapter 8?
5. What does Maggie think her father may want to do before leaving for America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie have in mind all the while when she rekindles her friendship with Charlotte?
2. In Book Fourth Chapter 3, what does Maggie devise a plan for? What does this plan include.
3. What thought about who is to blame for the affair occurs to Maggie when she is on the terrace at Fawns in Book Fifth Chapter 1? What does Maggie realize she is most afraid of happening?
4. What does Charlotte say may have made things different in her relationship with the Prince and her husband?
5. What does Maggie recall Fanny comparing the relationship of Maggie, the Prince, Mr. Verver, and Charlotte to?
6. In Book Fifth, Chapter 1, why does Maggie think the Prince has recognized and accepted the change in her?
7. At the end of the novel, what sacrifices does Maggie make in her quest to be alone with her husband?
8. What is the Prince's response when Maggie tells him he may be left alone with Charlotte in Book Sixth Chapter 1?
9. When Charlotte visits the Prince in Book Third Chapter 5, what do they discuss?
10. What sense of accomplishment does Maggie feel after throwing a dinner party in Book Fourth Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the imagery that James uses in "The Golden Bowl." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the end of the novel "The Golden Bowl"? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters and their marriages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "The Golden Bowl," Henry James. What others works did he write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and James' other work? How is he regarded in the literary world?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)