|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Charlotte and the Prince stay at the party longer than most other guests?
2. How does Maggie feel in her situation in Book Fourth Chapter 2?
3. What does Charlotte ask Maggie about in Book Fifth Chapter 2?
4. What does Fanny try to convince Maggie not to meddle with in Book Fourth Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 5 of Book Third, what does Charlotte say she will tell her husband about how she spent her day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book Third Chapter 8, why does Charlotte have no worries about Fanny revealing the truth about her affair with the Prince?
2. After the dinner party, when Maggie tries to speak to her husband about Charlotte, what can she not help but appear to feel toward Charlotte?
3. At the end of the novel, what sacrifices does Maggie make in her quest to be alone with her husband?
4. In Book Fifth, Chapter 1, why does Maggie think the Prince has recognized and accepted the change in her?
5. Why does Maggie suppose the Prince wants to stay near London In Book Sixth Chapter 1?
6. What does Maggie suggest the Prince do on their way home from the dinner party in Book Fourth Chapter 3? How does the Prince then startle Maggie?
7. What does Maggie decide to buy while she is taking a walk in London in Book Fourth Chapter 9?
8. What does Charlotte ask Maggie in Book Fifth Chapter 1, and how does Charlotte ask Maggie to prove her response?
9. In Book Fourth Chapter 3, what does Maggie devise a plan for? What does this plan include.
10. What does Maggie have in mind all the while when she rekindles her friendship with Charlotte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Charlotte and Adam. Is their marriage a happy one? Why did they decide to marry? What do they admire about one another? What problems exist in their marriage? Are they able to overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Maggie and the Prince. Why do they decide to marry? Do they have a happy marriage? Why does the Prince feel lonely and excluded? Are Maggie and the Prince able to overcome the problems in their marriage? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Adam Verver. What are his defining character traits? What does the reader learn of his past, particularly his past with his wife? What are his interests and hobbies? Why is he so interested in collecting rare objects? How does he treat his daughter and his son-in-law? How does he treat his second wife, Charlotte?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)