|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Book Third Chapter 4, who believes Charlotte has come to the Prince's house to see Maggie?
(a) Mr. Verver.
(b) The butler.
(c) The Prince.
2. According to Fanny, what will Maggie be terribly hurt by if she ever finds out?
(a) The relationship between the Prince and Charlotte.
(b) That the Prince might not love her.
(c) That Maggie's father is broke.
(d) That Charlotte is not visiting to help with the wedding.
3. How does Fanny travel home in Chapter 3 of Book Third?
(a) In a rowboat.
(b) On horseback.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a carriage.
4. What does Adam assume would have happened if his wife had not passed away?
(a) She would have led him away from his studies and collections.
(b) They would have travelled the world together.
(c) She would have driven Maggie away.
(d) She would never have let Maggie marry the Prince.
5. What does the Prince contemplate during the carriage ride in Book First Chapter 1?
(a) The meaning of life.
(b) How the truly poor live day to day.
(c) A comment that Maggie said.
(d) His worth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Verver send Charlotte an invite for in Book Second Chapter 4?
2. At the end of Chapter 2 of Book Third, how does Fanny feel about the Prince's behavior?
3. When Maggie and the Prince return to the house in Book Second Chapter 2, who do they find Adam with?
4. Where is the introductory chapter set?
5. Who does Fanny voice her concerns to in Book First Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Charlotte and the Prince decide against buying the golden bowl?
2. What does the reader learn about Adam's relationship with his wife?
3. What does Maggie share with the Prince about her father when the conversation turns to the romantic outlook of Americans?
4. What is Charlotte's response when Fanny asks her why neither she nor the Prince are with their spouses in Book Third Chapter 1?
5. Why is the Prince marrying Maggie?
6. What are the Prince and Charlotte discussing when Fanny returns to the room in Book First Chapter 3?
7. What does the Prince want to find out from Charlotte after she arrives at Fanny's in Book First Chapter 3?
8. Why do Charlotte and the Prince begin to speak Italian in the shop on Bloomsbury Street?
9. Why do the female guests at Fawns leave in Book Second Chapter 5?
10. What does Bob suggest after listening to his wife's worries about the relationship between the Prince and Charlotte in Book Third Chapter 3?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)