|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maggie see on Fanny's face when she talks to her about the Prince and Charlotte's behavior after returning from the Mitcham party?
(a) An expression of anger.
(b) An expression of fear.
(c) An expression of joy.
(d) An expression of disgust.
2. What does the Prince think Mr. Verver and Maggie would have thought of the party in Chapter 8 of Book Third?
(a) That they would have been annoyed by the company.
(b) That they would not have enjoyed it.
(c) That they would have known people were gossiping about them.
(d) That they would have had a good time.
3. Why does Maggie think the Prince wants to stay near London in Book Sixth Chapter 1?
(a) His friends are there.
(b) Because he knows Maggie wants to see her father off to America.
(c) The Prince hates to travel.
(d) In case Charlotte comes to see him one final time.
4. What does the Prince note while he is speaking to Fanny in Book Third Chapter 7?
(a) That Fanny looks angry.
(b) That Maggie has been telling Fanny lies.
(c) That Charlotte is avoiding making eye contact with him.
(d) That Fanny has lied to him for the first time.
5. Who destroys the golden bowl in Book Fourth Chapter 9?
(d) The Prince.
6. Where do Charlotte and the Prince decide to go on a trip together in Chapter 9 of Book Third?
(a) To Salisbury.
(b) To Cambridge.
(c) To Gloucester.
(d) To Leicester.
7. What is Charlotte described as being led by her husband by in Book Fifth Chapter 4?
(a) A red thread.
(b) A silken rope.
(c) An apron string.
(d) A bejewelled necklace.
8. What plan of Charlotte's does Maggie feel is unjust?
(a) Charlotte's plan to discredit Fanny.
(b) Charlotte's plan to spread gossip about Maggie.
(c) Charlotte's plan to separate Maggie from her father.
(d) Charlotte's plan to sacrifice her happiness to make up for her wrong doings.
9. What does Maggie realize was her goal for so long in Book Sixth Chapter 2?
(a) Getting revenge on Charlotte.
(b) Being completely alone with her husband.
(c) Freeing her husband from her father's influence.
(d) Finding someone who truely cares about Maggie's father.
10. What is the result when Maggie, the Prince, Charlotte, and Mr. Vermer spend time together in Book Fourth Chapter 4?
(a) It always ends in an argument.
(b) They are cold toward each other.
(c) Charlotte will say something to embarass the others.
(d) They have a good time together.
11. How many people does Maggie identify as being helpful to her plan?
12. How does Fanny say her opinion of Charlotte has changed in Book Third Chapter 10?
(a) Fanny says her respect for Charlotte has grown.
(b) Fanny says she now fears Charlotte.
(c) Fanny says she no longer thinks Charlotte is a good person.
(d) Fanny says she is amused by Charlotte's mistakes.
13. In Book Sixth, Chapter 1, where does Maggie offer to go with the Prince?
(b) Anywhere he wants to go.
14. In Chapter 5 of Book Third, what does Charlotte say she will tell her husband about how she spent her day?
(a) That she has been with the Prince.
(b) That she has been shopping.
(c) That she has been with her mother.
(d) That she has been strolling alone in the park.
15. By what mode of transportation do Charlotte and Mr. Verver depart at the end of the novel?
(a) By automobile.
(b) By train.
(c) By steamer boat.
(d) By carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Prince think about the party in Chapter 8 of Book Third?
2. What does Fanny tell her husband about Maggie in Book Third Chapter 11?
3. At the end of Book Fifth Chapter 1, what does Maggie recognize has put Charlotte in a cage?
4. What does Charlotte imply will never happen between she and Mr. Verver?
5. Why did the shop keeper come to Maggie's house as explained in Book Fourth Chapter 10?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)