|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Prince say when Maggie suggests he may be left alone with Charlotte?
(a) That Charlotte wouldn't allow for that to happen.
(b) That he shouldn't be trusted.
(c) That it is a good idea that Charlotte is moving away.
(d) That he can't bear to be left with Charlotte.
2. What does the Prince note while he is speaking to Fanny in Book Third Chapter 7?
(a) That Charlotte is avoiding making eye contact with him.
(b) That Maggie has been telling Fanny lies.
(c) That Fanny has lied to him for the first time.
(d) That Fanny looks angry.
3. Where does Fanny arrange to speak to the Prince in Book Third Chapter 7?
(a) In his study.
(b) On a couch.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On the balcony.
4. What does Maggie think her father may want to do before leaving for America?
(a) Take Charlotte on a shopping spree.
(b) Take his grandson to the zoo.
(c) Take her out to dinner alone.
(d) Run some errands in town.
5. What is the result when Maggie, the Prince, Charlotte, and Mr. Vermer spend time together in Book Fourth Chapter 4?
(a) Charlotte will say something to embarass the others.
(b) They have a good time together.
(c) They are cold toward each other.
(d) It always ends in an argument.
6. What does Fanny try to convince Maggie not to meddle with in Book Fourth Chapter 9?
(a) The Prince's inheritance.
(b) Charlotte and the Prince's affair.
(c) Mr. Verver's museum collection.
(d) Mr. Verver and Charlotte's marriage.
7. What does Charlotte ask Maggie to do in Book Fifth Chapter 2?
(a) Kiss her cheek.
(b) Recommend her a book.
(c) Write her a letter.
(d) Give her a hug.
8. What is the day that Charlotte and the Prince are spending together likened to in Chapter 9 of Book Third?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) The setting sun.
(c) A cup being drained.
(d) A hidden diamond.
9. What game does the party at Fawns play in Book Fifth Chapter 2?
(c) Old Maid.
10. By what mode of transportation do Charlotte and Mr. Verver depart at the end of the novel?
(a) By steamer boat.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By train.
(d) By automobile.
11. What does Maggie think she has accomplished with her dinner party in Book Fourth Chapter 4?
(a) Separated Charlotte from her husband.
(b) Shown her father that she is a good wife.
(c) Met expectations people have for a princess.
(d) Prepared a perfect Italian meal.
12. Where is the group preparing to go in Book Fourth Chapter 7?
(c) Palazzo Nero.
(d) The Fawns.
13. What does Fanny tell her husband about Maggie in Book Third Chapter 11?
(a) That Maggie is doubting her husband's fidelity.
(b) That Maggie will do anything to protect her father.
(c) That she regrets ever meeting Maggie.
(d) That Maggie is deathly ill.
14. How does Fanny explain Charlotte's behavior toward the Prince?
(a) As an act brought about by jealousy.
(b) As an attempt to at once hurt Maggie and Maggie's father.
(c) As a juvenile game.
(d) As a reaction to Maggie taking over Charlotte's home and husband.
15. What does Fanny fear being accused of if the truth about the Prince and Charlotte's former relationship comes out?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie realize was her goal for so long in Book Sixth Chapter 2?
2. Where are the Prince and Charlotte discovered when Maggie and her father return home in Book Fourth Chapter 5?
3. What idea does Maggie suggest the Prince should present to Mr. Verver?
4. What does Maggie tell her husband when he arrives home from Matcham?
5. What conclusion does Fanny come to in Book Third Chapter 10?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)