|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the golden bowl made out of?
2. Where does Mr. Verver suggest he and Charlotte go in Book Second Chapter 6?
(b) New York.
3. According to Fanny, what will Maggie be terribly hurt by if she ever finds out?
(a) That Charlotte is not visiting to help with the wedding.
(b) That Maggie's father is broke.
(c) The relationship between the Prince and Charlotte.
(d) That the Prince might not love her.
4. What is Maggie ashamed about during her conversation with the Prince in Book First Chapter 1?
(a) How good the Prince's English is compared to her English.
(b) An inappropriate comment she made about the French.
(c) Her uneducated father.
(d) Her lack of fashion knowledge.
5. What does Charlotte ask the Prince to help her do at the end of Book First Chapter 3?
(a) Drive her to Maggie's house.
(b) Mend her broken shoe.
(c) Order flowers to deliver to a sick friend.
(d) Pick out a wedding gift for Maggie.
6. When Maggie and the Prince return to the house in Book Second Chapter 2, who do they find Adam with?
(c) Lady Castledean.
(d) Mrs. Rance.
7. Who is the author of "The Golden Bowl"?
(a) Thomas Hardy.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Henry James.
(d) James Joyce.
8. At the end of Chapter 2 of Book Third, how does Fanny feel about the Prince's behavior?
9. What has changed as a result of Maggie's marriage to the Prince?
(a) The Prince's plans for returning to Rome.
(b) Fanny's standing in society.
(c) Mr.Verver's status quo.
(d) Mr. Verver's dislike of royalty.
10. Who do Maggie and her father spend time with after lunch in Book Second Chapter 3?
(a) Maggie's son.
(c) The Prince.
11. At the end of Book Third Chapter 4, who believes Charlotte has come to the Prince's house to see Maggie?
(a) Mr. Verver.
(b) The butler.
(d) The Prince.
12. What does Mr. Verver send Charlotte an invite for in Book Second Chapter 4?
(a) A fireworks display.
(b) A garden party.
(c) A visit to Fawns.
(d) A theatrical show.
13. What instrument does Charlotte play music for Mr. Verver with in Book Second Chapter 5?
(a) The violin.
(b) The piano.
(c) The harp.
(d) The flute.
14. According to Maggie, what is the rarest and most valuable addition to the collection?
(a) The Prince.
(b) An antique 'genie' lamp.
(c) The Prince's sword.
(d) A very old stamp.
15. According to Fanny, why did the Prince and Charlotte never marry?
(a) They were too scared to commit.
(b) Their love turned to hate.
(c) They didn't love each other.
(d) Neither of them had enough money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What qualities does the Prince claim are to be admired in Book First Chapter 1?
2. How does Charlotte feel in Book Third Chapter 1?
3. Where do Charlotte and the Prince go before starting their shopping?
4. What can Maggie not deny in Book Second Chapter 3?
5. Why is Maggie's father collecting rare and special items?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)