|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Stepmother's plan go awry in Chapter 15?
2. How long does Lucius abstain from eating meat?
3. Who stops the cook from hanging himself?
4. In Chapter 10, what does the visitor to the bandits' cave tell the bandits to do with Charite?
5. When Thrasyllus is passed out, what does Charite do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the priests that buy Lucius? How do they get money?
2. How does Lucius expose the priests in Chapter 12? What do they do to Lucius after this?
3. Who does the stepmother try to poison in Chapter 15? What happens instead?
4. In Chapter 10, why are the bandits unhappy with Lucius? What do they decide to do with him?
5. At the Councilor's house, with whom does the stepmother fall in love? How does the person react ?
6. When the brothers catch Lucius eating human food, what is their reaction? Whom do they show?
7. When Lucius is transformed into a human again, what does the crowd attribute this to? What does the priest tell Lucius he must do?
8. In Chapter 10, who comes to the bandits' cave? To what position do the bandits elect him? In reality, who is he?
9. Who tells Lucius about his third initiation? What does he have to do before he can complete his third initiation?
10. After Charite and Tlepolemus die, who inherits their estate? What does he decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the conflicts in the novel is man versus nature. Write an essay on how this is exemplified in the novel, using at least two examples. Is this argument complicated by the fact that Lucius is a man transformed into animal?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of masquerade is an important element in the novel. Write an essay about masquerade in the novel. Who uses it? Why? What does this do in the novel? Be sure to use at least two detailed examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Lucius is the protagonist of the novel. Write an essay about the protagonist's role in the novel. Why do stories have a protagonist? How does Lucius fit into the role of protagonist? Who would be the antagonist(s) in this novel? Why?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)