|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius do at the last second before he is to perform in Chapter 17?
2. What does Lucius have to be careful of in Chapter 16?
3. Who takes Lucius away at the end of Chapter 14?
4. How long does Lucius abstain from eating meat?
5. Why does Thrasyllus murder Charite's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Lucius pray to in Chapter 17? What does she tell him?
2. What potential does Thaysus see in Lucius? What does he start to teach him?
3. Who buys Lucius from the baker's daughter? What is Lucius' life like during this time?
4. Who does the stepmother try to poison in Chapter 15? What happens instead?
5. What is Lucius promised by Charite for his bravery and service? What happens instead?
6. When Lucius is transformed into a human again, what does the crowd attribute this to? What does the priest tell Lucius he must do?
7. In Chapter 13, when the baker finds his wife cheating on him, what does he do? What does the wife do for revenge?
8. When the brothers catch Lucius eating human food, what is their reaction? Whom do they show?
9. What does Tlepolemus do after the bandits pass out? What does he do before he leaves the cave?
10. Who tells Lucius about his third initiation? What does he have to do before he can complete his third initiation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Cupid and Psyche is one of many stories told in the course of the novel. Write an essay about the meaning of the story behind Cupid and Psyche and why it is relevant in the novel. Be specific and use details.
Essay Topic 2
Since Lucius is the protagonist, the novel should also have an antagonist. In your opinion, who is the antagonist? Why? Write an essay to share your opinion. Be sure to use details in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
During his journey, Lucius stays with both rich and poor people. Write an essay on how the rich and poor are characterized in the novel. What does this mean? Be sure to use at least two examples in your argument.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)