|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does the visitor to the bandits' cave tell the bandits to do with Charite?
2. How does Lucius' master catch on to his behavior in Chapter 16?
3. What does Charite do in front of her husband's tomb?
4. In Chapter 12, whom does Lucius' new owners worship?
5. Complete the following line from the end of the novel: "I set about joyfully executing my duties...not shading or hiding ________."
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, where do the brothers who own Lucius work? Why does Lucius like this?
2. Why is Lucius not easy to sell at the auction block? How does he feel when he is being sold?
3. Who buys Lucius from the baker's daughter? What is Lucius' life like during this time?
4. Who tells Lucius about his third initiation? What does he have to do before he can complete his third initiation?
5. In Chapter 14, who does the gardener encounter on his way home? What happens between them?
6. After Charite and Tlepolemus die, who inherits their estate? What does he decide to do?
7. What does Tlepolemus do after the bandits pass out? What does he do before he leaves the cave?
8. When Lucius is transformed into a human again, what does the crowd attribute this to? What does the priest tell Lucius he must do?
9. Who pays to spend a few nights with Lucius? What idea does this give Thaysus?
10. In Chapter 13, when the baker finds his wife cheating on him, what does he do? What does the wife do for revenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charite is an important character in the novel. Write an essay on the role of Charite in the novel and her impact on the main character. What does Charite represent? Be sure to use details in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Since Lucius is the protagonist, the novel should also have an antagonist. In your opinion, who is the antagonist? Why? Write an essay to share your opinion. Be sure to use details in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Storytelling is a very important device and theme in the novel. Write an essay about storytelling in the novel and how it impacts the reader. Use at least three examples in your argument.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)