|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thrasyllus murder Charite's husband?
2. Who buys Lucius from the baker?
3. What does Lucius' master's friend do for a living?
4. Whom did the goddess also contact in the night in Chapter 18?
5. In his dream, where is Lucius told he must go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lucius promised by Charite for his bravery and service? What happens instead?
2. When the brothers catch Lucius eating human food, what is their reaction? Whom do they show?
3. In Chapter 13, why does the cook want to hang himself? What was he supposed to make for dinner?
4. Before Lucius is set to go out for his act, what does he do? Where does he go?
5. Whom does Lucius pray to in Chapter 17? What does she tell him?
6. How does Lucius expose the priests in Chapter 12? What do they do to Lucius after this?
7. Who does the stepmother try to poison in Chapter 15? What happens instead?
8. In Chapter 10, who comes to the bandits' cave? To what position do the bandits elect him? In reality, who is he?
9. What does Lucius do to his appearance? How long does he go without meat?
10. What is unusual about the priests that buy Lucius? How do they get money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is an important element in the novel. Write an essay on the role of greed in the novel. Be sure to use at least three examples in your argument. How does greed motivate the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, the thieves tell stories about how three of their comrades die "in the line of duty." Write an essay analyzing these three stories and their significance in the novel. What do they mean? What literary device is Apuleuis using?
Essay Topic 3
The journey of Lucius as an animal is the main element in the novel. Write an essay about the meaning of Lucius' journey and what Lucius learns about mankind and society in his travels. What is the message of the novel?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)