|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates' lover do to him while he sleeps?
2. In Thelyphron's story, why didn't the witches tamper with the dead man's body?
3. What is the name of Psyche's child?
4. During his trial, what does Lucius find out about the dead bodies?
5. What do Psyche's sisters convince Psyche about her husband on their second visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Lucius and Fotis watch, Pamphile turns herself into what? Why?
2. What kind of house does Byrrhaena's live in? What does Byrrhaena tell Lucius about Pamphile?
3. Who does Psyche's husband appeal to in order to be reunited with Psyche? What is the name of Psyche's child?
4. How many sisters does Psyche have? For what are they all known?
5. In Telyphron's story, what nationality is the man who speaks to the dead? Who is accused of killing the dead man?
6. Over dinner, what do the bandits talk about in their cave in Chapter 6? How many men did they lose in all?
7. Who wants revenge from Psyche? What is the plan to exact revenge?
8. Where does Psyche go to look for her husband after he disappears? To whom does she finally turn to as a last resort?
9. When Psyche's husband finally allows her sisters to visit, what is their reaction? What does Psyche's husband warn her about after her sisters' visit?
10. During dinner at Milo's house in Chapter 2, what do Lucius, Milo, and Pamphile talk about? Why does Lucius excuse himself early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The journey of Lucius as an animal is the main element in the novel. Write an essay about the meaning of Lucius' journey and what Lucius learns about mankind and society in his travels. What is the message of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The interaction between gods and men is a common theme in the novel. Write an essay about this theme using at least two examples. How do the gods and men get along? Who is able to talk to the gods?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, the thieves tell stories about how three of their comrades die "in the line of duty." Write an essay analyzing these three stories and their significance in the novel. What do they mean? What literary device is Apuleuis using?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)