|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sisters does Psyche have?
2. Thrasyleon dresses up as ______________.
3. What does Lucius do after the confrontation at Milo's gate?
4. Socrates says the woman he was living with was_____________.
5. Despite her beauty, Psyche has trouble with___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what job does Telyphron tell Lucius about? Why did Telyphron have this job?
2. Why do the townspeople put on an elaborate hoax every year? Who sets Lucius up for their prank this year?
3. While Lucius and Fotis watch, Pamphile turns herself into what? Why?
4. In Chapter 2, who does Lucius meet in the market while he is exploring the city? What does this person offer him?
5. As the intruders leave Aristomenes and Socrates' hotel room, what do they do to Aristomenes? What happens as they leave?
6. In Telyphron's story, what nationality is the man who speaks to the dead? Who is accused of killing the dead man?
7. After the dinner at Byrrhaena's house, how many men does Lucius find at Milo's gate? What does he do to them?
8. During the night that Telyphron spends watching the dead man's corpse, what does he see? What is the condition of the corpse in the morning?
9. Who does Psyche's husband appeal to in order to be reunited with Psyche? What is the name of Psyche's child?
10. Where does Psyche go to look for her husband after he disappears? To whom does she finally turn to as a last resort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The syntax and language of The Golden Ass is unique. Write an essay about these elements in the novel and their impact on the novel in the realm of literature. How has language changed over time? Why is it important that we read The Golden Ass?
Essay Topic 2
Witches and magic are an important theme in the novel. Write an essay on magic in the novel, paying attention to who uses it, why, and how magic is represented in the novel. Make sure you use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The interaction between gods and men is a common theme in the novel. Write an essay about this theme using at least two examples. How do the gods and men get along? Who is able to talk to the gods?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)