|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does Lucius decide to employ in Chapter 5 to get away from the robbers?
2. What stops Lucius from eating a poisonous plant in Chapter 5?
3. When Socrates drinks from the stream, what happens to him?
4. What is the name of the traveler who does not believe Aristomenes' story in Book 1?
5. With what woman does Socrates say he was living?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what job does Telyphron tell Lucius about? Why did Telyphron have this job?
2. During dinner at Milo's house in Chapter 2, what do Lucius, Milo, and Pamphile talk about? Why does Lucius excuse himself early?
3. Over dinner, what do the bandits talk about in their cave in Chapter 6? How many men did they lose in all?
4. What does Fotis say is the cure for Lucius' condition? What happens before Fotis is able to administer this cure?
5. What does Lucius see that is poisonous? Why does he consider eating it?
6. As the intruders leave Aristomenes and Socrates' hotel room, what do they do to Aristomenes? What happens as they leave?
7. When Psyche lights a lamp in her bedroom, what does she discover? What does she spill on her husband?
8. How does Captain Lamachus lose his arm? Why does he beg his fellow thieves to kill him?
9. What kind of house does Byrrhaena's live in? What does Byrrhaena tell Lucius about Pamphile?
10. In Telyphron's story, who takes Telyphrons nose and ears? With what do they replace them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many female characters in The Golden Ass. Write an essay about the role of women in the novel. How are they represented? Why is this important? Make sure to use at least three examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
One of the conflicts in the novel is man versus nature. Write an essay on how this is exemplified in the novel, using at least two examples. Is this argument complicated by the fact that Lucius is a man transformed into animal?
Essay Topic 3
Storytelling is a very important device and theme in the novel. Write an essay about storytelling in the novel and how it impacts the reader. Use at least three examples in your argument.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)