|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Golden Ass"?
2. As Lucius returns home from Byrrhaena's dinner party, who does he see at Milo's gate?
3. What language does the author say he learned late in life?
4. In what country is the story set?
5. What do the bandits eat for dinner in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who does Lucius meet in the market while he is exploring the city? What does this person offer him?
2. During the night that Telyphron spends watching the dead man's corpse, what does he see? What is the condition of the corpse in the morning?
3. During dinner at Milo's house in Chapter 2, what do Lucius, Milo, and Pamphile talk about? Why does Lucius excuse himself early?
4. In Chapter 2, what does Lucius decide about Pamphile? Whom does he decide to focus his attention on?
5. When Psyche lights a lamp in her bedroom, what does she discover? What does she spill on her husband?
6. What does Lucius see that is poisonous? Why does he consider eating it?
7. When Psyche's husband finally allows her sisters to visit, what is their reaction? What does Psyche's husband warn her about after her sisters' visit?
8. Why do the townspeople put on an elaborate hoax every year? Who sets Lucius up for their prank this year?
9. In Aristomenes' story, where was he traveling? What was his trade?
10. While Lucius and Fotis watch, Pamphile turns herself into what? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his journey, Lucius stays with both rich and poor people. Write an essay on how the rich and poor are characterized in the novel. What does this mean? Be sure to use at least two examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In many of the stories in the novel, the legal system is a key aspect of interest. Write an essay about the author's portrayal of the legal system during that time. Make sure to use at least two examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Apuleius uses color symbolism in The Golden Ass. Using three examples, show the author's use of color symbolism and its impact on the novel.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)