|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Psyche's husband apprehensive about letting Psyche's sisters visit?
2. What is the name of Psyche's child?
3. What is strange about Psyche's husband?
4. What is Aristomenes soaked with while he is at the inn?
5. In Chapter 4, what does Pamphile want Photis to gather for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Psyche lights a lamp in her bedroom, what does she discover? What does she spill on her husband?
2. In Chapter 3, what job does Telyphron tell Lucius about? Why did Telyphron have this job?
3. While Aristomenes and Socrates are sleeping, who comes into their room? What happens to Socrates?
4. During the night that Telyphron spends watching the dead man's corpse, what does he see? What is the condition of the corpse in the morning?
5. During dinner at Milo's house in Chapter 2, what do Lucius, Milo, and Pamphile talk about? Why does Lucius excuse himself early?
6. What kind of house does Byrrhaena's live in? What does Byrrhaena tell Lucius about Pamphile?
7. What does Lucius see that is poisonous? Why does he consider eating it?
8. When Aristomenes sees Socrates, what does he say to him? Where does he take Socrates first?
9. Who does Psyche's husband appeal to in order to be reunited with Psyche? What is the name of Psyche's child?
10. Where is Lucius traveling to in Book 1? Whom does he meet on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucius is the protagonist of the novel. Write an essay about the protagonist's role in the novel. Why do stories have a protagonist? How does Lucius fit into the role of protagonist? Who would be the antagonist(s) in this novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The syntax and language of The Golden Ass is unique. Write an essay about these elements in the novel and their impact on the novel in the realm of literature. How has language changed over time? Why is it important that we read The Golden Ass?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, the thieves tell stories about how three of their comrades die "in the line of duty." Write an essay analyzing these three stories and their significance in the novel. What do they mean? What literary device is Apuleuis using?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)