Preface and Chapter 1: The Story of Aristomenes
• The novel begins with a preface from the author.
• Apuleius explains that he learned Latin later in life and apologizes in advance for the language of the novel.
• Also, there is a statement that the reader will enjoy themselves.
• Lucius, the main character, is traveling through Thessaly when he sees two men in conversation.
• He asks the men to include them in their conversation, saying that he will listen to a good story.
• Aristomenes begins to tell Lucius his story.
• As he is traveling through Thessaly, Aristomenes meets an old friend, Socrates.
• Socrates is ragged and dirty, and Aristomenes takes him to the baths.
• Socrates tells Aristomenes about a woman named Meroe, who he had a sexual relationship with but who also left him in this state.
• Socrates swears that Meroe has special powers, and anyone who speaks ill of her...
This section contains 2,457 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)