|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do to his boat in Chapter 33?
2. What does Mancuso do to Bellarosa before arresting him?
3. Why are Bellarosa's men angry when the FBI arrests him?
4. Why does Bellarosa give the priests a large check?
5. In Chapter 26, what does Bellarosa predict Ferragamo will try to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John consider doing with his life after Susan kills Bellarosa?
2. How does John convince the judge to let Bellarosa post bail?
3. Why couldn't Ethel be with Augustus Stanhope?
4. Why does Susan say she killed Bellarosa?
5. What happens at George Allard's funeral?
6. Why does John sink his own boat?
7. How does John feel when he is in court the day Bellarosa is arrested?
8. How do John and Melzer come to an agreement on John's IRS bill?
9. How does John feel about staying at the Plaza Hotel?
10. What happens when John meets Jenny Alvarez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use irony in this novel? Is this effective?
Essay Topic 2
Explore success as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary on success?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bellarosa's role in the novel. How does he drive the plot? How does he affect the other characters? What makes him central to this novel?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)