|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell Susan about their separation when he returns home from the Plaza?
2. In Chapter 32, what does Bellarosa tell John about revenge?
3. What does William Stanhope offer to leave to the Allards?
4. What day of the week does Bellarosa think he will be arrested on for the murder of Juan?
5. In Chapter 35, why does John encourage Bellarosa to work with the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 30, what happens when Bellarosa and John go to the church?
2. What does Bellarosa do when he sees John with Jenny at their hotel?
3. How do John and Melzer come to an agreement on John's IRS bill?
4. What do John and Bellarosa do after Bellarosa posts bail?
5. What does John do when he finally returns home from staying at the Plaza Hotel?
6. What happens at Giulio's in Chapter 34?
7. What happens when John meets Jenny Alvarez?
8. In Chapter 23, what do John and Mancuso talk about?
9. In Chapter 22, what directions does Bellarosa give John in regard to his upcoming arrest?
10. What happens when Bellarosa is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the development of John Sutter throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the commentary on marriage that this novel provides.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of dialogue in this novel to explore the characters instead of using lengthy descriptions. Is this technique effective?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)