|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do John and Jenny talk about in John's hotel room?
2. What time does Bellarosa tell John to be at his house every week until his arrest?
3. Why does Ferragamo say he keeps postponing the Bellarosa trial?
4. What does John do to his boat in Chapter 33?
5. What does John do when Melzer calls him with an IRS settlement offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Susan say she killed Bellarosa?
2. What happens when Bellarosa is arrested?
3. What happens at George Allard's funeral?
4. Why does John become upset about Bellarosa's fifty dollar bet on the day of his arrest?
5. Why couldn't Ethel be with Augustus Stanhope?
6. In Chapter 22, what directions does Bellarosa give John in regard to his upcoming arrest?
7. Why does John sink his own boat?
8. How do John and Melzer come to an agreement on John's IRS bill?
9. What does John consider doing with his life after Susan kills Bellarosa?
10. What happens when Ferragamo offers Bellarosa a deal in his case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the ending of this novel effective in resolving the conflicts presented?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Susan to Anna.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)