|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do John and Jenny talk about in John's hotel room?
2. What does Bellarosa say the murder charge has done to his assets?
3. When Frank tells John that Edward told him they may sell the summerhouse, how does John react?
4. Where does John first meet Jenny Alvarez?
5. In Chapter 30, where do Bellarosa and John drive around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at George Allard's funeral?
2. How does John feel about staying at the Plaza Hotel?
3. In Chapter 30, how does John's dream affect him?
4. How do John and Melzer come to an agreement on John's IRS bill?
5. In Chapter 33, what happens when John visits the yacht club?
6. What does William Stanhope do with Stanhope Hall?
7. What does Bellarosa tell John about his plan to cooperate with the government?
8. Why couldn't Ethel be with Augustus Stanhope?
9. What does Bellarosa do while staying at the Plaza Hotel?
10. What happens when Bellarosa is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use irony in this novel? Is this effective?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is self-betrayal a theme in this novel?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)