|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John decide to stop talking to people while he stays at the Plaza Hotel?
2. What does John think of the price he sells the summer house for?
3. What does Susan ask John at Giulio's after the ambulance leaves?
4. What day of the week does Bellarosa think he will be arrested on for the murder of Juan?
5. In Chapter 35, why does John encourage Bellarosa to work with the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bellarosa tell John about his plan to cooperate with the government?
2. What do John and Bellarosa talk about when Bellarosa is released from the hospital?
3. What happens at Giulio's in Chapter 34?
4. How do John and Melzer come to an agreement on John's IRS bill?
5. In Chapter 29, what happens when Bellarosa watches the news?
6. How does John feel about staying at the Plaza Hotel?
7. What happens at George Allard's funeral?
8. How does John convince the judge to let Bellarosa post bail?
9. In Chapter 33, what happens when John visits the yacht club?
10. In Chapter 30, what happens when Bellarosa and John go to the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore change as a theme in this novel. What message about change does this novel deliver?
Essay Topic 2
What genre is "The Gold Coast"? Use specific details from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)