|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Susan tell John they can't go away for a few months in Chapter 21?
2. Where does Bellarosa take John while Anna shows Susan around in Chapter 15?
3. How much money does Mr. Novac say John owes the IRS?
4. What does Susan say Bellarosa wants from John in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Susan tell John he needs to feel less disillusioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John spend Easter?
2. What are John's parent's like?
3. What do the Sutters do for the weekend when their children visit in Chapter 20?
4. What does Susan decide to do as a housewarming gift to the Bellarosas?
5. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
6. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
7. What surprises John about Stanhope Hall in Chapter 14?
8. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
9. How does Bellarosa ask for John's help in the Juan Carranza case?
10. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore change as a theme in this novel. What message about change does this novel deliver?
Essay Topic 2
Is the ending of this novel effective in resolving the conflicts presented?
Essay Topic 3
Explore at least three symbols that are used throughout this novel. What does the author try to do through this use of symbolism?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)