|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bellarosa give John while he is playing tennis?
2. Why does John have to talk to Bellarosa about moving Susan's stables?
3. Why does John wear his glasses while visiting the Bellarosas in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Bellarosa accused of murdering?
5. While visiting the Bellarosas in Chapter 15, what does John ask Frank Bellarosa about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bellarosa meets with John in Chapter 11?
2. What do John and Susan discuss after Good Friday mass?
3. How does Dominic help John in Chapter 13?
4. How does John first meet Bellarosa?
5. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
6. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
7. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
8. What advice does John give Susan about talking on the phone in Chapter 13?
9. Why is Bellarosa good for Alhambra?
10. What does Bellarosa tell John about Juan Carranza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What genre is "The Gold Coast"? Use specific details from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the setting of the Gold Coast for this novel. Consider the way the setting impacts the characters and acts as a character itself.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)