|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lester want to do with the old woman's stocks in Chapter 8?
2. How does John treat his family during Easter in Chapter 10?
3. Why does John feel happy to be alive in Chapter 10?
4. Whose law firm does John work for?
5. Where does Mr. Novac first visit John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises John about Stanhope Hall in Chapter 14?
2. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
3. What does Bellarosa tell John about Juan Carranza?
4. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
5. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
6. Who is Bellarosa?
7. What are John's parent's like?
8. In Chapter 8, what does Lester want to do with the stock certificates one of John's clients found?
9. What does Susan tell John about her childhood playhouse?
10. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore success as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary on success?
Essay Topic 3
What genre is "The Gold Coast"? Use specific details from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)