|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominic refuse to do after the stables are moved?
2. How does John feel when Frank Bellarosa tells him he is moving next door?
3. What does John tell his children he might have to see?
4. Where does John wake up on Easter Sunday?
5. How does John explain to Anna why he looks familiar to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bellarosa tell John about Juan Carranza?
2. How does Bellarosa ask for John's help in the Juan Carranza case?
3. What advice does John give Susan about talking on the phone in Chapter 13?
4. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
5. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
6. What does Susan tell John about her childhood playhouse?
7. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
8. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
9. What do the Sutters do for the weekend when their children visit in Chapter 20?
10. What are John's parent's like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the ending of this novel effective in resolving the conflicts presented?
Essay Topic 2
Explore change as a theme in this novel. What message about change does this novel deliver?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use suspense in this novel? Is this effective?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)