|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why is John nervous about talking to Bellarosa on the phone about Dominic?
2. How does John explain to Anna why he looks familiar to her?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Bellarosa say will happen if John leaves his house?
4. What does John tell his children he might have to see?
5. How many cars do John, Susan, and their servants take to St. Mark's in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sutters do for the weekend when their children visit in Chapter 20?
2. What does Susan tell John about her childhood playhouse?
3. What happens when Bellarosa meets with John in Chapter 11?
4. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
5. Who is Bellarosa?
6. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
7. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
8. How does John first meet Bellarosa?
9. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
10. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the development of John Sutter throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the commentary on marriage that this novel provides.
Essay Topic 3
Explore at least three symbols that are used throughout this novel. What does the author try to do through this use of symbolism?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)