|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carolyn ask John about his personal life in Chapter 20?
2. How does Bellarosa say the mafia differs from other criminals?
3. What does Mr. Novac's first visit with John make John lose faith in?
4. In Chapter 18, what reason does John give for being surprised about the friendship developing between Susan and Anna?
5. Why does John feel happy to be alive in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do John and Susan discuss after Good Friday mass?
2. What do John and Bellarosa talk about when Bellarosa is released from the hospital?
3. What does Susan tell John about her childhood playhouse?
4. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
5. What does John consider doing with his life after Susan kills Bellarosa?
6. Why does John become upset about Bellarosa's fifty dollar bet on the day of his arrest?
7. Why couldn't Ethel be with Augustus Stanhope?
8. How does John feel when he is in court the day Bellarosa is arrested?
9. What does Bellarosa do when he sees John with Jenny at their hotel?
10. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is self-betrayal a theme in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Susan to Anna.
Essay Topic 3
How does word choice affect the reader's opinion in this novel? How does the author use word choice to develop the characters, themes and plot of "The Gold Coast"?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)