|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do men and dogs chase John in Chapter 10?
2. How does John describe having a business relationship with Bellarosa?
3. In Chapter 2, what does John wonder about Frank Bellarosa?
4. What is Susan's horse's name?
5. What does Bellarosa say Melzer can do for John with his IRS problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
2. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
3. Why is Bellarosa good for Alhambra?
4. What advice does John give Susan about talking on the phone in Chapter 13?
5. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
6. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
7. How does Bellarosa ask for John's help in the Juan Carranza case?
8. What are John's parent's like?
9. How does John first meet Bellarosa?
10. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast residents of the Gold Coast to members of the mafia. Why does the author provide such a strong divide?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of dialogue in this novel to explore the characters instead of using lengthy descriptions. Is this technique effective?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)