|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why is John nervous about talking to Bellarosa on the phone about Dominic?
2. What is John's reply to Susan's idea for a housewarming gift for the Bellarosas?
3. Why does Susan tell John they can't go away for a few months in Chapter 21?
4. What does John tell George to do if Bellarosa stops by for a second time?
5. In Chapter 14, how does John feel about having drinks at Bellarosa's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
2. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
3. What happens when Bellarosa meets with John in Chapter 11?
4. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
5. Who is Bellarosa?
6. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
7. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
8. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
9. What do John and Susan discuss after Good Friday mass?
10. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the ending of this novel effective in resolving the conflicts presented?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast residents of the Gold Coast to members of the mafia. Why does the author provide such a strong divide?
Essay Topic 3
Explore at least three symbols that are used throughout this novel. What does the author try to do through this use of symbolism?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)