|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell his children he might have to see?
2. How does Bellarosa act while telling John about the Juan case?
3. In Chapter 13, why does Bellarosa tell John he will send a builder over?
4. Which club do John and Susan dine at in Chapter 5?
5. What does Lester want to do with the old woman's stocks in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
2. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Lester want to do with the stock certificates one of John's clients found?
4. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
5. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
6. What surprises John about Stanhope Hall in Chapter 14?
7. What happens when Bellarosa meets with John in Chapter 11?
8. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
9. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
10. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore change as a theme in this novel. What message about change does this novel deliver?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Explore at least three examples and dissect them their their effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Explore success as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary on success?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)