|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John think about Susan's parent's estate?
2. What is Susan's horse's name?
3. Why does John wear his glasses while visiting the Bellarosas in Chapter 15?
4. Where does John wake up on Easter Sunday?
5. How does John treat his family during Easter in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
2. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
3. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
4. Why is Bellarosa good for Alhambra?
5. What does Bellarosa tell John about Juan Carranza?
6. How does John first meet Bellarosa?
7. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
8. In Chapter 8, what does Lester want to do with the stock certificates one of John's clients found?
9. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
10. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is self-betrayal a theme in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bellarosa's role in the novel. How does he drive the plot? How does he affect the other characters? What makes him central to this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What genre is "The Gold Coast"? Use specific details from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)