|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why is John nervous about talking to Bellarosa on the phone about Dominic?
2. What does Edward offer to do to help with John's tax problems?
3. How many cars do John, Susan, and their servants take to St. Mark's in Chapter 4?
4. What is John's reply to Susan's idea for a housewarming gift for the Bellarosas?
5. How does John describe having a personal relationship with Bellarosa?
Short Essay Questions
1. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
2. How does Dominic help John in Chapter 13?
3. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
4. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
6. Who is Bellarosa?
7. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
8. What do the Sutters do for the weekend when their children visit in Chapter 20?
9. How does Bellarosa ask for John's help in the Juan Carranza case?
10. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What genre is "The Gold Coast"? Use specific details from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How is self-betrayal a theme in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the development of John Sutter throughout the novel.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)