|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is so exciting about the stock certificates an old woman brings to John?
2. What does John tell George to do if Bellarosa stops by for a second time?
3. How do Lester and Judy Remson react when they find out Bellarosa is moving next door to John and Susan?
4. What does John do before going to his aunt's for Easter?
5. How does John feel when Frank Bellarosa tells him he is moving next door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
2. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
3. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
4. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
5. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
6. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
7. In Chapter 8, what does Lester want to do with the stock certificates one of John's clients found?
8. What does Bellarosa tell John about Juan Carranza?
9. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
10. Who is Bellarosa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bellarosa's role in the novel. How does he drive the plot? How does he affect the other characters? What makes him central to this novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does word choice affect the reader's opinion in this novel? How does the author use word choice to develop the characters, themes and plot of "The Gold Coast"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)