|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John think about Susan's parent's estate?
2. Which shore of Long Island does John Sutter live on?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Bellarosa want John to represent him in?
4. What is John's reply to Susan's idea for a housewarming gift for the Bellarosas?
5. In Chapter 7, how does John react when the Allards both fall ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John first meet Bellarosa?
2. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
3. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
4. What happens when Bellarosa meets with John in Chapter 11?
5. What does Susan decide to do as a housewarming gift to the Bellarosas?
6. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
7. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
8. How does John spend Easter?
9. What advice does John give Susan about talking on the phone in Chapter 13?
10. In Chapter 8, what does Lester want to do with the stock certificates one of John's clients found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of dialogue in this novel to explore the characters instead of using lengthy descriptions. Is this technique effective?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the development of John Sutter throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)