|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bellarosa say the mafia differs from other criminals?
2. How does John explain to Anna why he looks familiar to her?
3. In Chapter 6, what is so exciting about the stock certificates an old woman brings to John?
4. In Chapter 14, what decision does John make about having drinks at Bellarosa's?
5. What does John ask Susan to do after Good Friday mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sutters do for the weekend when their children visit in Chapter 20?
2. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
3. Why is Bellarosa good for Alhambra?
4. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
5. What are John's parent's like?
6. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
7. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
8. What surprises John about Stanhope Hall in Chapter 14?
9. What does Susan decide to do as a housewarming gift to the Bellarosas?
10. What do John and Susan discuss after Good Friday mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the commentary on marriage that this novel provides.
Essay Topic 2
Explore success as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary on success?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use suspense in this novel? Is this effective?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)