|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Bellarosa's use the ballroom for in their estate?
2. In Chapter 14, how does John feel about having drinks at Bellarosa's?
3. How do the stock certificates help John make up with Lester in Chapter 6?
4. Who shows Susan the conservatory of the Bellarosa's house?
5. Why does Bellarosa believe Mr. Novac is attacking John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Lester want to do with the stock certificates one of John's clients found?
3. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
4. What do John and Susan discuss after Good Friday mass?
5. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
6. What does Susan tell John about her childhood playhouse?
7. What are John's parent's like?
8. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
9. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
10. What surprises John about Stanhope Hall in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does word choice affect the reader's opinion in this novel? How does the author use word choice to develop the characters, themes and plot of "The Gold Coast"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast residents of the Gold Coast to members of the mafia. Why does the author provide such a strong divide?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use irony in this novel? Is this effective?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)