|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lester and Judy Remson react when they find out Bellarosa is moving next door to John and Susan?
2. Which club do John and Susan dine at in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Susan tell John he needs to feel less disillusioned?
4. What does Melzer offer John the first time they meet?
5. Why does John have to talk to Bellarosa about moving Susan's stables?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
2. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
3. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
4. How does Bellarosa try to help John with his tax problems?
5. Who is Bellarosa?
6. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
7. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
8. How does John spend Easter?
9. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
10. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore success as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary on success?
Essay Topic 2
Explore change as a theme in this novel. What message about change does this novel deliver?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bellarosa's role in the novel. How does he drive the plot? How does he affect the other characters? What makes him central to this novel?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)