|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Bellarosa say will happen if John leaves his house?
2. When the Sutters children come home in Chapter 20, where do they go?
3. How do the stock certificates help John make up with Lester in Chapter 6?
4. Where does John's sister, Emily, live?
5. Which shore of Long Island does John Sutter live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bellarosa ask for John's help in the Juan Carranza case?
2. When John visits Alhambra in Chapter 3, what does he find?
3. What happens when Bellarosa meets with John in Chapter 11?
4. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
5. What advice does John give Susan about talking on the phone in Chapter 13?
6. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
7. What does Susan decide to do as a housewarming gift to the Bellarosas?
8. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
9. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
10. How does Dominic help John in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what motivates at least three characters in this novel. What do these motives say about each character and the themes in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of the lawyers presented in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Explore at least three examples and dissect them their their effectiveness.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)