|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does John react when the Allards both fall ill?
2. How many cars do John, Susan, and their servants take to St. Mark's in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Bellarosa tell John that Ferragamo is coming after him in the Juan case?
4. After talking about Susan's stables, why does John believe Bellarosa wants a relationship with him?
5. Why does John want Susan to pay a social call on Bellarosa?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
2. How does John feel about attending church service at St. Mark's?
3. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
4. Why is Bellarosa good for Alhambra?
5. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
6. When Susan first learns about Bellarosa moving in, what is her biggest concern?
7. What surprises John about Stanhope Hall in Chapter 14?
8. In Chapter 5, how does John fear he insulted Lester?
9. Who is Bellarosa?
10. How does Dominic help John in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine morality as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary about morality?
Essay Topic 2
What genre is "The Gold Coast"? Use specific details from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the commentary on marriage that this novel provides.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)