|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Susan Sutter's family's house called?
2. Why do John and Susan attend service at St. Mark's?
3. What does Susan fear Frank Bellarosa won't understand?
4. What does John ask Bellarosa about favors after dealing with the stables?
5. In Chapter 6, what is so exciting about the stock certificates an old woman brings to John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bellarosa?
2. How does Dominic help John in Chapter 13?
3. What does Bellarosa ask John for in Chapter 19?
4. How does John spend Easter?
5. What does Bellarosa tell John about Juan Carranza?
6. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
7. What happens when John's father calls him at the end of Chapter 21?
8. What does John tell Susan after leaving the Bellarosas in Chapter 17?
9. What happens the first time Bellarosa comes by John's house?
10. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore success as a theme in this novel. What is the author's commentary on success?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use suspense in this novel? Is this effective?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the setting of the Gold Coast for this novel. Consider the way the setting impacts the characters and acts as a character itself.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)