|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell Lester Remson about living next door to Bellarosa?
2. What does John tell Bellarosa about getting a club membership?
3. What does Anna serve John and Susan in Chapter 15?
4. Why does John feel happy to be alive in Chapter 10?
5. What does Lester Remson do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John do to avoid being recognized by Anna the first time he visits the Bellarosas?
2. At the end of Chapter 14, how does Susan frustrate John?
3. What does Susan tell John about her childhood playhouse?
4. How does John feel about attending church service at St. Mark's?
5. How does John spend Easter?
6. What happens when John visits Bellarosa's property on Easter?
7. What IRS problems does John have with Novac?
8. Why is Bellarosa good for Alhambra?
9. What are John's parent's like?
10. What does Anna tell John she worries about in the new neighborhood in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the ending of this novel effective in resolving the conflicts presented?
Essay Topic 2
How does word choice affect the reader's opinion in this novel? How does the author use word choice to develop the characters, themes and plot of "The Gold Coast"?
Essay Topic 3
Explore at least three symbols that are used throughout this novel. What does the author try to do through this use of symbolism?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)