|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks that Neville is wrong in Chapter 10?
2. What creates a desire to melt for Dua in Chapter 3b?
3. Who is the old commissioner that is retiring in Chapter 3?
4. Who is left confused and scared in Chapter 5b?
5. Who is at home thinking of Dua in Chapter 3b?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Hard Ones fear about Dua in Chapter 5b?
2. How does Dua begin to melt in Chapter 3b?
3. Why is Neville upset about the Earth man in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Dua upset about the Positron Pump?
5. What is Dua determined to do in Chapter 5a?
6. Describe the odd man that Selene meets.
7. Describe Selene.
8. Describe the Lunar gymnasiums.
9. What does Denison consider a mistake by Lamont in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Dua feel betrayed in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "parallel universe" is a theme Asimov introduces in "The Gods Themselves". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to science and to the mystical? What does Asimov ultimately say about intuition, research, and analysis through the characters of Denison, Bronowski, Lamont and Hallam and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Asimov employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey scientific ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of these two female characters in the book, Selene and Dua. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)