|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Selene take the man in Chapter 4 to keep him occupied?
2. What does Dua do in order to hide in Chapter 3a?
3. Who is the new commissioner that is appointed in Chapter 3?
4. What creates a desire to melt for Dua in Chapter 3b?
5. Whose work does Neville want to keep an eye on in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wat is Selene guessing at and what does Denison realize about her in Chapter 10?
2. What does Gottstein reveal to Denison in Chapter 6?
3. What does Dua realize about Estwald and what happens subsequently in Chapter 7abc?
4. How does Dua begin to melt in Chapter 3b?
5. Describe the odd man that Selene meets.
6. What does Odeen realize about passing and fear in Chapter 4b?
7. Why does Denison think that no one will do without the pump?
8. What does Odeen realize about Tritt in Chapter 4b?
9. Describe the Lunar gymnasiums.
10. Describe Selene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depiction of these two female characters in the book, Selene and Dua. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Gods Themselves". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Asimov employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey scientific ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)