|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luvenia say Mr. Deets never does for her?
2. Where is Malcolm's family reunion held?
3. Where does Shep live?
4. How many children does Elijah have?
5. What does Luvenia complain to Miss Etta about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jennie Epps's plans for the future?
2. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
3. Who is Bobby Joe, and what does he do to Tommy?
4. What does Tommy say about the march after it is completed?
5. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
6. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
7. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
8. What did Planter buy at an auction, and why?
9. How does Malcolm get to the family reunion?
10. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)