|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Malcolm talented in?
2. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
3. What does Shep say gives him a lot of pressure?
4. What instrument does Jenn play?
5. What kind of businesses does McKinnon boycott?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy do during the press conference?
2. What does Katie do at the rent party?
3. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
4. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
5. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
6. What does Tommy say about the march after it is completed?
7. How does Malcolm get to the family reunion?
8. What happens to Glory Field after the family reunion?
9. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
10. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)