|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tommy live?
2. What happens to Tommy's best friends while his parents are out of town?
3. Where does Shep live?
4. Where is Shep when Malcolm finds him?
5. What is the name of Elijah's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
2. Why does Tommy not join the march in Johnson City?
3. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
4. How does Luvenia feel about big cities?
5. Why does Elijah think about leaving Glory Field?
6. What happens to Glory Field after the family reunion?
7. What does Luvenia do for the Deetses, and what does she hope this job will do for her?
8. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
9. What does Reverend McKinnon plan to say in his press conference?
10. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)