|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tommy's grandfather?
2. What will be built on Glory Field?
3. What is Robert's nickname?
4. Where does Shep live?
5. Who brings word that Luvenia has been fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
2. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
3. How do Tommy's parents feel after he is arrested?
4. What does Florenz convince Luvenia to do for her so she can go out?
5. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
6. What does Reverend McKinnon plan to say in his press conference?
7. Why does Elijah think about leaving Glory Field?
8. Why does Tommy not join the march in Johnson City?
9. What did Planter buy at an auction, and why?
10. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)