|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Luvenia been fired?
2. What is Mr. Smith's occupation?
3. What does Jennie tell Tommy about her future desires?
4. Who brings word that Luvenia has been fired?
5. Where does Malcolm get abandoned while heading to the family reunion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheriff Moser say to the Klan demonstrators?
2. How does Luvenia feel about big cities?
3. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
4. What does Reverend McKinnon plan to say in his press conference?
5. What happens to Skeeter after the march, and why?
6. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
7. What are Jennie Epps's plans for the future?
8. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
9. Why does Elijah think about leaving Glory Field?
10. What happens after Luvenia's scheme with Florenz, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)