|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luvenia's mother feel about Miss Etta?
2. Where is Malcolm's family reunion held?
3. What is Mr. Smith's occupation?
4. What is different about Delaney High School?
5. What is wrong with Shep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Planter buy at an auction, and why?
2. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
3. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
4. What are Jennie Epps's plans for the future?
5. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
6. How does Malcolm get to the family reunion?
7. What is a rent party?
8. Why is Malcolm so grateful to his great-aunt?
9. What does Tommy do during the press conference?
10. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery and Freedom are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)