|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Elijah's wife?
2. What does Luvenia say Mr. Deets never does for her?
3. Why does Malcolm refuse to give Shep any money?
4. How does Luvenia know Florenz?
5. What instrument does Malcolm play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy say about the march after it is completed?
2. What does Tommy do during the press conference?
3. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
4. What happens to the ticket money given to Shep to get to the family reunion?
5. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
6. Why is Malcolm so grateful to his great-aunt?
7. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
8. What does Sheriff Moser say to the Klan demonstrators?
9. What is a rent party?
10. What are Jennie Epps's plans for the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery and Freedom are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)