|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Malcolm talented in?
2. Why has Luvenia been fired?
3. What is Luvenia doing when she complains to Miss Etta?
4. What is Jennie grateful for after the march?
5. What does Luvenia have nightmares about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
2. What does Planter leave for Malcolm when he dies?
3. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
4. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
5. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
6. What does Reverend McKinnon plan to say in his press conference?
7. How does Luvenia feel about big cities?
8. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
9. What happens after Luvenia's scheme with Florenz, and why?
10. What happens to the ticket money given to Shep to get to the family reunion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)