|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Shep when Malcolm finds him?
2. Where do Luvenia's parents want her to live?
3. How does Luvenia know Florenz?
4. What kind of businesses does McKinnon boycott?
5. What is the name of Tommy's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elijah think about leaving Glory Field?
2. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
3. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
4. What does Florenz convince Luvenia to do for her so she can go out?
5. What did Planter buy at an auction, and why?
6. What does Katie do at the rent party?
7. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
8. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
9. Why is Malcolm so grateful to his great-aunt?
10. How does Malcolm get to the family reunion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does Luvenia use her trials to her advantage, and what leads her to her success?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)