|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of college does Jennie go to?
2. What does Luvenia plan to get a loan for?
3. How are Shep and Malcolm related?
4. How are Miss Etta and Luvenia related?
5. What is Tommy's team mascot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Planter buy at an auction, and why?
2. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
3. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
4. What happens after Luvenia's scheme with Florenz, and why?
5. How do Tommy's parents feel after he is arrested?
6. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
7. Who is Bobby Joe, and what does he do to Tommy?
8. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
9. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
10. How does Luvenia feel about big cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery and Freedom are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)