|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Elijah have?
2. Where does Tommy dream of going while sweeping?
3. What is the name of Elijah's wife?
4. What does Shep say gives him a lot of pressure?
5. What is Mr. Smith's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tommy not join the march in Johnson City?
2. What does Planter leave for Malcolm when he dies?
3. What does Reverend McKinnon plan to say in his press conference?
4. What happens after Luvenia's scheme with Florenz, and why?
5. Why is Malcolm so grateful to his great-aunt?
6. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
7. What happens to Glory Field after the family reunion?
8. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
9. What are Jennie Epps's plans for the future?
10. What is a rent party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and explain how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Walter Dean Myers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)