|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Malcolm's grandfather?
2. What sport did Leonard Chase play?
3. How does Luvenia know Florenz?
4. Why will Tommy's boss not associate with him in public?
5. What does Leonard Chase do now for colleges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a rent party?
2. What does Sheriff Moser say to the Klan demonstrators?
3. What happens to Glory Field after the family reunion?
4. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
5. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
6. What does Luvenia do for the Deetses, and what does she hope this job will do for her?
7. What does Planter leave for Malcolm when he dies?
8. What does Malcolm do when he returns from his family reunion?
9. Why does Tommy not join the march in Johnson City?
10. How do Tommy's parents feel after he is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Luvenia use her trials to her advantage, and what leads her to her success?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming of age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)