|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tommy's team mascot?
2. What is different about Meharry College?
3. What does Malcolm enjoy while working at the farm?
4. What is wrong with Shep?
5. How did Tommy die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy say about the march after it is completed?
2. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
3. What happens to Skeeter after the march, and why?
4. What does Tommy do during the press conference?
5. What does Florenz convince Luvenia to do for her so she can go out?
6. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
7. What are Jennie Epps's plans for the future?
8. What happens to Glory Field after the family reunion?
9. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
10. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and explain how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Walter Dean Myers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)