|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Florenz pay Luvenia for her help?
2. What does Leonard Chase do now for colleges?
3. What is the name of Tommy's best friend?
4. What happens to Tommy's best friends while his parents are out of town?
5. How does Chase describe the opportunity for Tommy to go to Johnson City State College?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tommy's parents feel after he is arrested?
2. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
3. Who is Bobby Joe, and what does he do to Tommy?
4. What does Shep blame for his addiction to drugs?
5. Why does Tommy not join the march in Johnson City?
6. What does Florenz convince Luvenia to do for her so she can go out?
7. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
8. What does Tommy say about the march after it is completed?
9. What does Sheriff Moser say to the Klan demonstrators?
10. Why does Elijah think about leaving Glory Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Luvenia use her trials to her advantage, and what leads her to her success?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)