|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Smith's occupation?
2. What did Robert buy at an auction?
3. Where does Malcolm get abandoned while heading to the family reunion?
4. What does Luvenia say Mr. Deets never does for her?
5. Why does Malcolm refuse to give Shep any money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a rent party?
2. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
3. How does Malcolm get to the family reunion?
4. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
5. What does Planter leave for Malcolm when he dies?
6. What does Florenz convince Luvenia to do for her so she can go out?
7. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
8. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
9. How does Luvenia feel about big cities?
10. What happens to the ticket money given to Shep to get to the family reunion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)