|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is Sukey?
2. What does Lizzy do while Julia has tea?
3. Why does Joshua run away?
4. What does Saran do for a job after the war?
5. Why does the ship not leave shortly after Muhammad gets on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
2. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
3. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
4. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
5. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
6. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
7. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
8. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
9. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
10. What is a boom stick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)