|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves call the plantation home?
2. Where does Elijah's father work?
3. Who owns Neela?
4. What is the name of Elijah's father?
5. How long is Muhammad held on a ship before it sails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
2. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
3. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
4. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
5. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
6. How does Foster die?
7. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
8. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
9. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
10. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)