|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
2. What ocean does Muhammad sail across?
3. What is Foster's worst habit?
4. What does the Lewis family call their land?
5. How does Moses feel when he returns from Johnson City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
2. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
3. What is a boom stick?
4. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
5. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
6. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
7. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
8. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
9. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
10. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does this book fit into the historical fiction genre, and what are some of the good and bad things about this placement in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and explain how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Walter Dean Myers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)