|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lem get free?
2. What is wrong with David Turner?
3. Where is Muhammad sold?
4. What does Julia ask Lizzy to do?
5. What does Muhammad promise himself on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
2. How does Foster die?
3. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
4. What is a boom stick?
5. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
6. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
7. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
8. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
9. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
10. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)