|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia's father say is making the slaves restless?
2. What kind of men does the Klan honor?
3. Where is Muhammad at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the Middle Passage?
5. What does Lizzy do while Julia has tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
2. What is a boom stick?
3. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
4. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
5. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
6. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
7. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
8. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
9. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
10. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery and Freedom are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)