|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Muhammad allowed to stay on deck when he is there?
2. What does Lizzy do while Julia has tea?
3. What does Saran do for a job after the war?
4. What is Elijah doing when we first meet him?
5. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
2. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
3. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
4. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
5. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
6. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
7. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
8. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
9. How does Foster die?
10. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)