|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Sister Clinton from the Lewis family?
2. What is the plantation called where Lizzy lives?
3. What is the occupation of Muhammad's father?
4. What does Muhammad find strange about his captors?
5. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
2. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
3. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
4. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
5. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
6. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
7. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
8. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
9. What is a boom stick?
10. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)