|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia promise to do for Lizzy?
2. Where is Lem buried?
3. How is Elijah related to Moses?
4. What is Elijah doing when we first meet him?
5. What is the Lewis slave family given after the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
2. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
3. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
4. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
5. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
6. What is a boom stick?
7. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
8. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
9. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
10. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)