|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moses come by his last name?
2. How do men in the Klan dress?
3. What does the Lewis family call their land?
4. What shows the family history at the beginning of the book?
5. What is Foster's worst habit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Foster die?
2. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
3. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
4. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
5. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
6. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
7. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
8. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
9. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
10. What is a boom stick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Why does this book fit into the historical fiction genre, and what are some of the good and bad things about this placement in your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)