|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is Sukey?
2. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
3. What does Lizzy do while Julia has tea?
4. What shows the family history at the beginning of the book?
5. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
2. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
3. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
4. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
5. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
6. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
7. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
8. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
9. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
10. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does this book fit into the historical fiction genre, and what are some of the good and bad things about this placement in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)