|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often is Muhammad given water on the ship?
2. Where is Muhammad shackled?
3. When does Muhammad hear the most screams while on the ship?
4. How much land is the Lewis family given after the war?
5. What kind of men does the Klan honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
2. How does Foster die?
3. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
4. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
5. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
6. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
7. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
8. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
9. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
10. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)