|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saran do for a job after the war?
2. Whom is Richard married to?
3. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
4. What is the name of Moses's wife?
5. Where is Muhammad sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Foster die?
2. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
3. What is a boom stick?
4. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
5. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
6. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
7. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
8. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
9. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
10. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)