Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah sell in Johnson City?
2. What is Foster's occupation?
3. How does the narrator describe the Lewis slave family?
4. What is different about Sister Clinton from the Lewis family?
5. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
2. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
3. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
4. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
5. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
6. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
7. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
8. What happens to Skeeter after the march, and why?
9. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
10. What happens to the ticket money given to Shep to get to the family reunion?
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)