|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Moses's cabin used for on the plantation?
2. Where does Elijah's father live?
3. What does Lizzy do while Julia has tea?
4. What is unusual about Lizzy picking when we first meet her?
5. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
2. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
3. What does Tommy do during the press conference?
4. What does Luvenia say the difference between black people and Negroes is?
5. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
6. What does Tommy say about the march after it is completed?
7. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
8. Why does Elijah think about leaving Glory Field?
9. Who is Bobby Joe, and what does he do to Tommy?
10. What does Florenz convince Luvenia to do for her so she can go out?
Essay Topic 1
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)