|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Muhammad know some of the other slaves captured with him?
2. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
3. Whom is Richard married to?
4. Where are slaves usually held on slave ships?
5. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luvenia feel about big cities?
2. What did Planter buy at an auction, and why?
3. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
4. Why does Luvenia not want to move to Glory Field with her family?
5. What happens to Glory Field after the family reunion?
6. Who is Bobby Joe, and what does he do to Tommy?
7. Why is Shep so uncomfortable on his way to the family reunion?
8. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
9. How do Tommy's parents feel after he is arrested?
10. What does Planter leave for Malcolm when he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, discussing how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)