|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is Sukey?
2. Who pays special attention to Moses when we first meet him?
3. Where are the slavers from?
4. What is Muhammad's strongest emotion while on the ship?
5. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
2. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
3. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
4. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
5. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
6. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
7. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
8. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
9. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
10. What is a boom stick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)