|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah sell in Johnson City?
2. What is Foster's occupation?
3. How does the narrator describe the Lewis slave family?
4. What is different about Sister Clinton from the Lewis family?
5. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
2. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
3. What makes Malcolm feel that he is finally on his way in life?
4. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
5. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
6. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
7. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
8. What happens to Skeeter after the march, and why?
9. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
10. What happens to the ticket money given to Shep to get to the family reunion?
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)