|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
2. What is Muhammad's strongest emotion while on the ship?
3. What does the Lewis family call their land?
4. Where is Muhammad at the beginning of the book?
5. Why does Saran say Sister Clinton was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
2. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
3. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
4. How does Foster die?
5. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
6. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
7. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
8. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
9. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
10. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming of age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)