|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mister Joe's position?
2. Where does Elijah's father live?
3. What are the slaves initially sold for?
4. What day is Lizzy picking in a field when we first meet her?
5. What does Julia ask Lizzy to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
2. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
3. What is a boom stick?
4. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
5. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
6. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
7. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
8. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
9. How does Foster die?
10. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)