|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Muhammad's surname?
2. How does Lem return to the plantation?
3. What does Moses hope to find in Johnson City?
4. What does the Lewis family call their land?
5. Why does the ship not leave shortly after Muhammad gets on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
2. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
3. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
4. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
5. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
6. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
7. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
8. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
9. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
10. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)