|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves call the plantation home?
2. Why does Julia say Josh is still a boy?
3. What kind of animal is Sukey?
4. Where does Elijah's father live?
5. Why does Saran say Sister Clinton was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
2. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
3. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
4. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
5. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
6. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
7. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
8. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
9. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
10. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Elijah and Moses are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)