|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
2. What is Moses's cabin used for on the plantation?
3. How did Lem die?
4. What does Julia say white people have that black people do not?
5. How is Elijah related to Moses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
2. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
3. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
4. How does Foster die?
5. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
6. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
7. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
8. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
9. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
10. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and explain how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Walter Dean Myers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)