|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves call the plantation home?
2. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
3. What is Mister Joe's position?
4. Who owns Neela?
5. What does Elijah's father say to him before he leaves the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
2. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
3. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
4. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
5. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
6. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
7. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
8. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
9. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
10. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)