|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Muhammad look for constantly after being captured?
2. What is Muhammad's surname?
3. How does Lem get free?
4. Where does Elijah's father live?
5. What ocean does Muhammad sail across?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
2. What is a boom stick?
3. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
4. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
5. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
6. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
7. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
8. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
9. How does Foster die?
10. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)