|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do men in the Klan dress?
2. Where is Muhammad sold?
3. How does Muhammad know some of the other slaves captured with him?
4. Where are the slavers from?
5. What is Foster's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
2. What is a boom stick?
3. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
4. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
5. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
6. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
7. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
8. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
9. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
10. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)