|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Muhammad see for the first time while on the boat?
2. What is Foster's worst habit?
3. What is Mister Joe's position?
4. What is Foster's occupation?
5. What ocean does Muhammad sail across?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Luvenia's scheme with Florenz, and why?
2. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
3. Why do news cameras leave Cadet Park on the day of the march?
4. What does the North symbolize for many black people at this time in history?
5. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
6. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
7. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
8. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
9. What does Katie do at the rent party?
10. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the theme of discrimination occur in this narrative, and how is it received by the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)