|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is Lizzy picking in a field when we first meet her?
2. What does Elijah's father say to him before he leaves the plantation?
3. How much land is the Lewis family given after the war?
4. How long is Muhammad on the ship?
5. What are the slaves initially sold for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
2. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
3. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
4. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
5. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
6. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
7. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
8. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
9. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
10. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)