|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are slaves usually held on slave ships?
2. Why does the ship not leave shortly after Muhammad gets on it?
3. What is Muhammad's surname?
4. How do men in the Klan dress?
5. Where does Elijah's father work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
2. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
3. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
4. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
5. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
6. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
7. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
8. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
9. How does Foster die?
10. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the time-line of this plot different from most books, and how does it affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)