|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah sell in Johnson City?
2. What shows the family history at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Moses bless before a picnic?
4. What does Elijah repair?
5. What day is Lizzy picking in a field when we first meet her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
2. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
3. What does Julia tell Lizzy the difference between white people and black people is?
4. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
5. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
6. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
7. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
8. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
9. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
10. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)