|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Muhammad when he is captured?
2. Where are slaves usually held on slave ships?
3. How much land is the Lewis family given after the war?
4. Whom is Richard married to?
5. What does Muhammad find strange about his captors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
2. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
3. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
4. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
5. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
6. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
7. What is a boom stick?
8. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
9. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
10. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Luvenia use her trials to her advantage, and what leads her to her success?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)