|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia say white people have that black people do not?
2. Where is Muhammad at the beginning of the book?
3. Where is Muhammad sold?
4. What does Moses's wife do when Lem returns to the plantation?
5. What is Moses's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
2. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
3. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
4. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
5. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
6. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
7. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
8. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
9. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
10. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does this book fit into the historical fiction genre, and what are some of the good and bad things about this placement in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Luvenia use her trials to her advantage, and what leads her to her success?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)