|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Lem and Moses related?
2. What is Foster's worst habit?
3. What does Muhammad promise himself on the ship?
4. What is the occupation of Muhammad's father?
5. Where does Elijah's father work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
2. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
3. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
4. What is the main question weighing on Muhammad's mind after his capture?
5. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
6. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
7. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
8. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
9. Why does Elijah refuse to split the reward money with Sheriff Glover?
10. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
How does Malcolm's relationship with his family change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)