|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moses's wife do when Lem returns to the plantation?
2. How are Lem and Moses related?
3. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
4. Where is Muhammad shackled?
5. What kind of animal is Sukey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
2. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
3. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
4. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
5. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
6. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
7. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
8. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
9. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
10. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muhammad is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and explain how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Walter Dean Myers have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)