|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elijah doing when we first meet him?
(a) Riding a horse.
(b) Running down a slope.
(c) Plowing a field.
(d) Fighting another man.
2. How long is Muhammad held on a ship before it sails?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 16 days.
(c) 19 days.
(d) 12 days.
3. Where does Lizzy want to move?
(c) Johnson City.
(d) New York.
4. What do the white men call Moses's wife?
(a) Sister Saran.
(b) Aunt Sara.
(c) Sweet Serene.
(d) Mother Shara.
5. How did Moses come by his last name?
(a) His father.
(b) His plantation owner.
(c) His favorite word.
(d) His alphabetical assignment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often is Muhammad given water on the ship?
2. When does Muhammad touch soil after being captured?
3. What does Julia promise to do for Lizzy?
4. What does Muhammad find strange about his captors?
5. What causes many freed slaves to lose their land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
2. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
3. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
4. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
5. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
6. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
7. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
8. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
9. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
10. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)