|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Muhammad allowed to stay on deck when he is there?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 39 minutes.
2. What are the slaves initially sold for?
(a) Trade goods.
(d) Political privileges.
3. Where is Muhammad sold?
(b) The US.
4. What does Elijah repair?
(a) A reaper.
(b) An old boat.
(c) A cotton gin.
(d) A doorframe.
5. Where are slaves usually held on slave ships?
(a) The cargo hold.
(b) The forecastle.
(c) The cabins.
(d) The prow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lem buried?
2. What is the plantation called where Lizzy lives?
3. Where is Muhammad at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Julia ask Lizzy to do?
5. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
2. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
3. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
4. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
5. What is the story Moses tells of two slaves who attacked a white man?
6. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
7. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
8. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
9. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
10. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)