|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Middle Passage?
(a) The ship Muhammad is on.
(b) The trade route across the ocean.
(c) The trail to African villages.
(d) The slaver's oath.
2. What is Lizzy picking when the reader first meets her?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
3. Why does Julia say Josh is still a boy?
(a) He is smaller than her father.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He cares not for others.
(d) He cannot read.
4. What is Moses's cabin used for on the plantation?
(a) A gathering place.
(b) A meeting hall.
(c) A bunkhouse.
(d) An entertainment site.
5. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
(a) Debates with them.
(b) Pays them.
(c) Terrorizes them.
(d) Finds new homes for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
2. How did Moses come by his last name?
3. What is the occupation of Muhammad's father?
4. How does Moses feel when he returns from Johnson City?
5. When does Muhammad touch soil after being captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
2. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
3. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
4. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
5. Why does Lizzy choose to leave Live Oaks?
6. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
7. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
8. What keeps Muhammad from sleeping at night while on the ship?
9. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
10. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)