|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lizzy tell Julia the slaves talk about in their cabins?
(b) Lem's punishment.
(c) The war.
(d) Ways to escape.
2. What shows the family history at the beginning of the book?
(a) A Pedigree chart.
(b) A family tree.
(c) A diagram.
(d) A list.
3. Where is Lem buried?
(a) Glory Field.
(b) A battlefield.
(c) Live Oaks.
(d) Johnson City.
4. What does Muhammad find strange about his captors?
(a) They never speak.
(b) They smell funny.
(c) Their eyes are blank.
(d) They are white.
5. Where does Elijah's father work?
(a) The town market place.
(b) The docks.
(c) The pulp mills.
(d) The cotton factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah's father say to him before he leaves the plantation?
2. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
3. What kind of music does Elijah's cousin love?
4. What does Julia promise to do for Lizzy?
5. How are Lem and Moses related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
2. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
3. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
4. What is a boom stick?
5. Why does Lizzy go looking for Lem after everyone else is asleep?
6. What happens when Lizzy finds Lem after dark?
7. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
8. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
9. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
10. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)