|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the plantation called where Lizzy lives?
(a) Tall Oaks.
(b) Merry Oaks.
(c) Strong Oaks.
(d) Live Oaks.
2. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
(a) Twice a day.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Every other day.
(d) Three times a day.
3. When does Muhammad hear the most screams while on the ship?
(a) At night.
(b) When it gets cold.
(c) In the morning.
(d) At meal times.
4. Who does Muhammad look for constantly after being captured?
(a) His fiancée.
(b) His parents.
(c) His siblings.
(d) His best friend.
5. Where is Muhammad shackled?
(a) His hands.
(b) His feet.
(c) All of these.
(d) His knees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lewis family call their land?
2. What does Muhammad promise himself on the ship?
3. Where are slaves usually held on slave ships?
4. How does Muhammad know some of the other slaves captured with him?
5. How does Lem return to the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a boom stick?
2. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
3. What does Saran say is different about Joshua?
4. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
5. What is the deepest feeling felt by Muhammad on the ship, and why?
6. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
7. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
8. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
9. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
10. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)