|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Saran do for a job after the war?
(a) Tends to a white child.
(b) Farms land.
(c) Paints pictures.
(d) Sews dresses.
2. When does Muhammad hear the most screams while on the ship?
(a) In the morning.
(b) At meal times.
(c) At night.
(d) When it gets cold.
3. Who does Muhammad look for constantly after being captured?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His siblings.
(c) His fiancée.
(d) His parents.
4. What is the name of Elijah's father?
5. What is the plantation called where Lizzy lives?
(a) Strong Oaks.
(b) Tall Oaks.
(c) Live Oaks.
(d) Merry Oaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia say white people have that black people do not?
2. What is Foster's occupation?
3. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
4. How long is Muhammad on the ship?
5. Where is Lem buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Master Lewis hope will happen, because of his actions with Lem, after he returns to the plantation?
2. What kind of music does Abby love, and how does Saran feel about it?
3. What does Master Lewis tell Mister Joe to do with Lem?
4. What does Abby think about the post-slavery black children?
5. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
6. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
7. What does Muhammad promise himself while on the boat, and what prompts him to make this promise?
8. What does Elijah ask for in return for finding David?
9. What is placed before the beginning of the narrative, and what does it show?
10. How do the other slaves say goodbye to Lizzy when she leaves Live Oaks?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)