|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Muhammad's surname?
2. How is Elijah related to Moses?
(a) Moses is his godfather.
(b) Moses is his grandfather.
(c) Moses is his uncle.
(d) Moses is his father.
3. Who owns Neela?
(a) Mr. Freeman.
(b) Mr. Lewis.
(c) Mr. Law.
(d) Mr. Foster.
4. What is Elijah doing when we first meet him?
(a) Fighting another man.
(b) Plowing a field.
(c) Running down a slope.
(d) Riding a horse.
5. What kind of music does Elijah's cousin love?
(c) Slow jazz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joshua run away?
2. How does Lem get free?
3. How often is Muhammad given water on the ship?
4. Where does Elijah's father live?
5. What does Moses's wife do when Lem returns to the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most startling thing to Muhammad about his captors?
2. How did Lizzy first come to know Moses and Saran?
3. Why does Saran worry about David Turner when she is not with him?
4. What makes it hard for many slave descendants to track their family history?
5. Why did Elijah and Abby fix up an old boat?
6. What is Frank Petty widely known for?
7. What do Muhammad's shackles mean to his descendants?
8. What advice does Richard give to Elijah before he goes looking for David, and why?
9. Why does Sheriff Glover pull a gun on Elijah?
10. What privileges are given to Muhammad while on the ship?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)