|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elijah doing when we first meet him?
(a) Riding a horse.
(b) Running down a slope.
(c) Plowing a field.
(d) Fighting another man.
2. What is Muhammad's strongest emotion while on the ship?
3. Where does Elijah's father work?
(a) The docks.
(b) The cotton factory.
(c) The town market place.
(d) The pulp mills.
4. How did Moses come by his last name?
(a) His alphabetical assignment.
(b) His father.
(c) His favorite word.
(d) His plantation owner.
5. What does Muhammad find strange about his captors?
(a) They are white.
(b) Their eyes are blank.
(c) They smell funny.
(d) They never speak.
6. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
(a) They are afraid of all white men.
(b) They have no money.
(c) They have never been responsible for themselves.
(d) There is no respect for them.
7. How often is Muhammad let out on the deck of the ship?
(a) Every other day.
(b) Twice a day.
(c) Three times a day.
(d) Once a day.
8. What does Saran do for a job after the war?
(a) Paints pictures.
(b) Farms land.
(c) Sews dresses.
(d) Tends to a white child.
9. How many slave cabins are on Moses's plantation?
10. What kind of music does Elijah's cousin love?
(c) Slow jazz.
11. How did Lem die?
(a) He was beat to death.
(b) He drowned.
(c) In the war.
(d) He was shot by a patrolman.
12. What is Moses's cabin used for on the plantation?
(a) A meeting hall.
(b) A bunkhouse.
(c) An entertainment site.
(d) A gathering place.
13. How do men in the Klan dress?
(a) In plain clothing to avoid notice.
(b) In masks and heavy coats.
(c) In robes and hoods.
(d) In dark suits and broad-brimmed hats.
14. What is Mister Joe's position?
(a) Land owner.
(c) Agricultural specialist.
15. What do the white men call Moses's wife?
(a) Sweet Serene.
(b) Sister Saran.
(c) Aunt Sara.
(d) Mother Shara.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Middle Passage?
2. What is Foster's worst habit?
3. What does Muhammad promise himself on the ship?
4. Who does Muhammad look for constantly after being captured?
5. When does Muhammad hear the most screams while on the ship?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)