|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Muhammad at the beginning of the book?
(a) In a village.
(b) On a canoe.
(c) In a hut.
(d) On a ship.
2. What is the plantation called where Lizzy lives?
(a) Live Oaks.
(b) Tall Oaks.
(c) Merry Oaks.
(d) Strong Oaks.
3. How did Lem die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) In the war.
(c) He was beat to death.
(d) He was shot by a patrolman.
4. How is Elijah related to Moses?
(a) Moses is his godfather.
(b) Moses is his grandfather.
(c) Moses is his father.
(d) Moses is his uncle.
5. Where are slaves usually held on slave ships?
(a) The forecastle.
(b) The prow.
(c) The cabins.
(d) The cargo hold.
6. Who owns Neela?
(a) Mr. Foster.
(b) Mr. Freeman.
(c) Mr. Lewis.
(d) Mr. Law.
7. What is the name of Moses's wife?
8. How many slave cabins are on Moses's plantation?
9. What do the white men call Moses's wife?
(a) Sister Saran.
(b) Sweet Serene.
(c) Aunt Sara.
(d) Mother Shara.
10. What do the slaves call the plantation home?
(a) The main house.
(b) The white house.
(c) The master house.
(d) The big house.
11. What is unusual about Lizzy picking when we first meet her?
(a) The weather is not suitable.
(b) They usually do not work on Sunday.
(c) The women usually do not work that field.
(d) Lizzy is far too young for hard labor.
12. What is the occupation of Muhammad's father?
(c) Medicine Man.
13. What shows the family history at the beginning of the book?
(a) A family tree.
(b) A Pedigree chart.
(c) A diagram.
(d) A list.
14. What does Julia's father say is making the slaves restless?
(a) The weather.
(b) The news stories.
(c) The war.
(d) All of these.
15. Why does the ship not leave shortly after Muhammad gets on it?
(a) The captain must pay taxes.
(b) There is a problem with the ship.
(c) More slaves are being captured.
(d) They are waiting for officials to pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah sell in Johnson City?
2. Who helps Elijah repair something?
3. When does Muhammad hear the most screams while on the ship?
4. Who pays special attention to Moses when we first meet him?
5. What does Muhammad call guns?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)