|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Julia say Josh is still a boy?
(a) He is smaller than her father.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He cannot read.
(d) He cares not for others.
2. What do the slaves call the plantation home?
(a) The main house.
(b) The big house.
(c) The white house.
(d) The master house.
3. How long is Muhammad allowed to stay on deck when he is there?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 39 minutes.
(d) 45 minutes.
4. What happens in Moses's cabin on Sundays?
(a) Religious services.
(c) Planning meetings for escaping.
(d) Bigger meals than normal.
5. Where does Lizzy want to move?
(a) Johnson City.
(c) New York.
6. What is Mister Joe's position?
(a) Land owner.
(d) Agricultural specialist.
7. What does Julia promise to do for Lizzy?
(a) Buy her freedom.
(b) Teach her to read.
(c) Find her a husband.
(d) Give her a new dress.
8. Who does Muhammad look for constantly after being captured?
(a) His siblings.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His parents.
(d) His fiancée.
9. What day is Lizzy picking in a field when we first meet her?
10. How does Moses feel when he returns from Johnson City?
11. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
(a) They are afraid of all white men.
(b) There is no respect for them.
(c) They have no money.
(d) They have never been responsible for themselves.
12. What does Saran do for a job after the war?
(a) Farms land.
(b) Tends to a white child.
(c) Sews dresses.
(d) Paints pictures.
13. What does Muhammad see for the first time while on the boat?
(a) Smoke from the villages.
(b) People dying.
(c) The ocean.
(d) People from other tribes.
14. What does Moses hope to find in Johnson City?
(a) His son.
(b) A loan.
(c) A servant.
(d) Some land.
15. How often is Muhammad given water on the ship?
(a) Twice a day.
(b) Three times a day.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Every other day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moses come by his last name?
2. What shows the family history at the beginning of the book?
3. What is Foster's occupation?
4. How many slave cabins are on Moses's plantation?
5. What does Julia ask Lizzy to do?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)