|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is difficult to the slaves about their freedom?
(a) They are afraid of all white men.
(b) They have never been responsible for themselves.
(c) There is no respect for them.
(d) They have no money.
2. How does the narrator describe the Lewis slave family?
3. What does Elijah repair?
(a) A cotton gin.
(b) A reaper.
(c) An old boat.
(d) A doorframe.
4. How does Muhammad know some of the other slaves captured with him?
(a) He has seen them in dreams.
(b) They are from his village.
(c) He once fought their tribe.
(d) They are his family.
5. Why does the ship not leave shortly after Muhammad gets on it?
(a) They are waiting for officials to pass.
(b) There is a problem with the ship.
(c) More slaves are being captured.
(d) The captain must pay taxes.
6. How do men in the Klan dress?
(a) In robes and hoods.
(b) In dark suits and broad-brimmed hats.
(c) In plain clothing to avoid notice.
(d) In masks and heavy coats.
7. Why does Julia say Josh is still a boy?
(a) He cares not for others.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He cannot read.
(d) He is smaller than her father.
8. What does Julia's father say is making the slaves restless?
(a) All of these.
(b) The war.
(c) The weather.
(d) The news stories.
9. How does Lem return to the plantation?
(a) He walks back.
(b) He sells himself with a contract.
(c) The patrollers bring him back.
(d) He takes the train.
10. What is the occupation of Muhammad's father?
(b) Medicine Man.
11. How are Joshua and Moses related?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) Moses is his nephew.
(d) They are cousins.
12. How did Lem die?
(a) In the war.
(b) He was beat to death.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He was shot by a patrolman.
13. What does Lizzy tell Julia the slaves talk about in their cabins?
(a) Lem's punishment.
(b) Ways to escape.
(d) The war.
14. What happens in Moses's cabin on Sundays?
(b) Planning meetings for escaping.
(c) Religious services.
(d) Bigger meals than normal.
15. What is the name of Moses's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Lewis slave family given after the Civil War?
2. What is Foster's worst habit?
3. Where does Elijah's father live?
4. What does the Klan do to freed slaves?
5. How long is Muhammad on the ship?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)