Part I: July 1753
• Before the story begins, there is a family tree showing the ancestry of the Lewis family descended from Muhammad Bilal.
• Muhammad is shackled on the ship at the beginning of the book. He is there with other people sold as slaves.
• They stay there for 19 days while other slaves are found and thrown into the ship.
• They travel for a month across the Atlantic Ocean. Muhammad is allowed water and small portions of food twice a day and an hour of sunshine on the deck.
• Muhammad hears screams in the night and sees people dying. He promises himself that he will survive no matter what happens to him.
Part II: March 1864
• Lizzy is picking sweet potatoes on a Sunday, which is strange as they normally do not work on Sundays. The foreman watches Moses closely.
• Recently Moses's son and brother ran away. Lem...
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)