|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The architect that Liesel and Viktor meet on their honeymoon describes himself as a sculptor of _______.
2. In "Recital," the Landauer's throw a party to raise money for what organization?
3. How does Viktor sign the note he leaves for Kata in "Loss"?
4. During what era does The Glass Room begin?
5. What Nazi has been invited to the dinner party hosted by the Landauers in "Dinner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political landscape in "Anschluss." What concerns does Viktor have?
2. How do Liesel and Viktor become closer in "Interior"? What does Liesel question her husband about in this chapter?
3. Describe the outline of the house in "Gestation." What elements of the house are nontraditional?
4. What does Viktor give a speech about in "Housewarming"? What metaphor does he employ?
5. Where does Hana go in "Coda"? What affair takes place?
6. Describe the character of Hana, as revealed in her first appearances in "Hana." How does Hana know Liesel?
7. What is foreshadowed about the house in "Completion"?
8. How is the onyx wall proposed in "Onyx"? What are the differences in Liesel and Viktor's feelings about the house?
9. How does the affair between Viktor and Kata rekindle in "Ship"?
10. Where have the central characters just arrived in "Honeymoon"? How do they feel about one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of Jews during World War II and the status of the war in "Anschluss." What dangers did Viktor's family face from the Nazis?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Liesel's discovery of her husband's affair. How does Liesel react? Why does she comfort Kata instead of attacking her?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)