|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Viktor plan to take his family during the invasion in "Proposal"?
2. At a dinner party in "Ecstasy," Viktor, Liesel, and Hana all meet what individual whom Hana places as an actor in pornographic films?
3. When it comes time for the baby to feed, Liesel insists that Von Abt do what in "Construction"?
4. Who stays by Liesel's side when she becomes deathly ill during her second childbirth?
5. As "Memories" begins, Hana reveals that which lover is leaving her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
2. Whom does Liesel reunite with in "Return"? What are her impressions of the changes around her?
3. What architect do Liesel and Viktor meet in "Honeymoon"? Where?
4. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
5. Who is Viktor looking for in "Loss"? Where is he?
6. Where does Hana go in "Coda"? What affair takes place?
7. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
8. What does Viktor give a speech about in "Housewarming"? What metaphor does he employ?
9. Where do Liesel and Viktor live in "Conception"? Who visits them?
10. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and use of onyx and the mythology of Venus relating to onyx. Why did Rainer insist this material was perfect for the house?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)