|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Day in the Life," Viktor is constantly bombarded about thoughts of his own ___________.
2. What is the name of the second child Viktor and Liesel have in "Birth"?
3. Where do Liesel and Viktor travel to attempt to rekindle their passion in "Birth"?
4. As "Proposal" begins, Viktor goes to Kata's cottage to speak to her about what?
5. Venice is a city in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
2. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
3. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
4. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
5. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
6. Describe the character of Hana, as revealed in her first appearances in "Hana." How does Hana know Liesel?
7. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
8. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
9. What is foreshadowed about the house in "Completion"?
10. Whom does Liesel reunite with in "Return"? What are her impressions of the changes around her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of Jews during World War II and the status of the war in "Anschluss." What dangers did Viktor's family face from the Nazis?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss symbolism and metaphor surrounding the house in the novel. What are elements of foreshadowing related to the house?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)