|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Birth," Viktor assesses Liesel's new form in her second pregnancy and believes she no longer looks human, but ____________.
2. As "Ecstasy" begins, Hana asks Viktor if Liesel is sleeping with what composer?
3. How is the roof of the house being designed for Liesel and Viktor described?
4. Where does Viktor plan to take his family during the invasion in "Proposal"?
5. What Nazi has been invited to the dinner party hosted by the Landauers in "Dinner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
2. What does the architect think of Liesel and Viktor in "Honeymoon"? What does he relate about his work?
3. What does Liesel read about the house in "Happy Families"?
4. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
5. How do Liesel and Viktor become closer in "Interior"? What does Liesel question her husband about in this chapter?
6. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
7. Describe the political landscape in "Anschluss." What concerns does Viktor have?
8. Where does Hana go in "Coda"? What affair takes place?
9. How does the affair between Viktor and Kata rekindle in "Ship"?
10. Describe the character of Hana, as revealed in her first appearances in "Hana." How does Hana know Liesel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of symbolism and irony in "Proposal," "Ship," "Last Year in Marienbad," "Small Issue," and "Storm in March." How does the Glass Room reflect the relationship of its inhabitants?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events in "Encounter" and "Chata" and Kata's integration with the Landauer family. How does Viktor react upon seeing Kata at the fundraiser? How does Liesel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the modernist movement in architecture and the impact of Mies van der Rohe in that movement. What are common elements of this style and approach?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)