|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Anschluss" starts, Viktor listens to the radio and discovers that what country has been taken over by the Germans?
2. Who attends the Landauers house-warming party and completely basks in all the glory of the house?
3. In "Love," Kata's daughter asks if Viktor is one of her mother's _________.
4. Where was Adolf Hitler born?
5. In "Birth," Viktor assesses Liesel's new form in her second pregnancy and believes she no longer looks human, but ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Viktor looking for in "Loss"? Where is he?
2. How does Viktor compare the two world wars in "Robots"?
3. How does the affair between Viktor and Kata rekindle in "Ship"?
4. What emotional conflict does Hana face in "Memories"? Who consoles her?
5. How is the fundraiser described in "Recital"? What does the author write of the house in this chapter?
6. Where have the central characters just arrived in "Honeymoon"? How do they feel about one another?
7. What does Viktor give a speech about in "Housewarming"? What metaphor does he employ?
8. What does Viktor discuss with Kata in "Proposal"? What concerns does Kata have?
9. What does the architect think of Liesel and Viktor in "Honeymoon"? What does he relate about his work?
10. Discuss the sexual motifs in "Ecstasy." Whom does Hana develop feelings for in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Czechoslovakia and the history of the Villa Tugendhat. How did this house inspire the author to write the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)