|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Viktor sign the note he leaves for Kata in "Loss"?
2. Who comforts Hana after her lover leaves her in "Memories"?
3. What intimate news does Liesel relate to the architect in "Conception"?
4. As "Anschluss" starts, Viktor listens to the radio and discovers that what country has been taken over by the Germans?
5. What is the name of Kata's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the onyx wall proposed in "Onyx"? What are the differences in Liesel and Viktor's feelings about the house?
2. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
3. What emotional conflict does Hana face in "Memories"? Who consoles her?
4. How does Viktor compare the two world wars in "Robots"?
5. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
6. Describe the outline of the house in "Gestation." What elements of the house are nontraditional?
7. Describe the political landscape in "Anschluss." What concerns does Viktor have?
8. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
9. How do Liesel and Viktor become closer in "Interior"? What does Liesel question her husband about in this chapter?
10. Where do Liesel and Viktor live in "Conception"? Who visits them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Stahl and his work at the Landauer House. What was the aim of the laboratory installed in the Landauer House? Is the laboratory based on true events in history?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)