|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman with whom Viktor begins having an affair in "Onyx"?
2. What is Hana's last name?
3. Who tells Liesel she wants to sleep with Eva and help her escape from her horrible husband in "Ecstasy"?
4. Where does Hana say she helped the woman whose husband was holding her hostage escape in "Coda"?
5. The architect that Liesel and Viktor meet on their honeymoon describes himself as a sculptor of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
2. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
3. How do Liesel and Viktor become closer in "Interior"? What does Liesel question her husband about in this chapter?
4. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
5. Who is Viktor looking for in "Loss"? Where is he?
6. Why do Liesel and Viktor have the baby baptized in "Construction"? What do they argue about?
7. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
8. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
9. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
10. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the actions in "Love" and "Ecstasy." What are the motivations of each of the characters and how do they go about achieving their aims?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)