|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intimate news does Liesel relate to the architect in "Conception"?
2. As "Anschluss" starts, Viktor listens to the radio and discovers that what country has been taken over by the Germans?
3. Where do Liesel and Viktor travel to attempt to rekindle their passion in "Birth"?
4. When Viktor leaves Kata in "Love," he gives her a check for how much money?
5. Who stays by Liesel's side when she becomes deathly ill during her second childbirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outline of the house in "Gestation." What elements of the house are nontraditional?
2. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
3. Where does Hana go in "Coda"? What affair takes place?
4. How is the fundraiser described in "Recital"? What does the author write of the house in this chapter?
5. How is the onyx wall proposed in "Onyx"? What are the differences in Liesel and Viktor's feelings about the house?
6. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
7. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
8. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
9. What does the architect think of Liesel and Viktor in "Honeymoon"? What does he relate about his work?
10. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Liesel and Viktor Landauer. How does their relationship evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)