|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Adolf Hitler born?
2. Venice is a city in what country?
3. Liesel wants to offer Kata and her fellow refugees what in order to help them in "Encounter"?
4. During what era does The Glass Room begin?
5. Who stays by Liesel's side when she becomes deathly ill during her second childbirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
2. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
3. Discuss the sexual motifs in "Ecstasy." Whom does Hana develop feelings for in this chapter?
4. Describe the outline of the house in "Gestation." What elements of the house are nontraditional?
5. How does the affair between Viktor and Kata rekindle in "Ship"?
6. What does the architect think of Liesel and Viktor in "Honeymoon"? What does he relate about his work?
7. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
8. What architect do Liesel and Viktor meet in "Honeymoon"? Where?
9. Who is Viktor looking for in "Loss"? Where is he?
10. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and use of onyx and the mythology of Venus relating to onyx. Why did Rainer insist this material was perfect for the house?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Hana in the narrative. How is Hana described by the author? How does Liesel feel about her friend?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)