|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intimate news does Liesel relate to the architect in "Conception"?
2. What is Hana's last name?
3. Who does Liesel insist should be the godmother to her daughter, despite her husband's protestations?
4. The house that is being designed for Liesel and Viktor is described as looking ___________.
5. In "A Day in the Life," Viktor is constantly bombarded about thoughts of his own ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Viktor looking for in "Loss"? Where is he?
2. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
3. What does Liesel read about the house in "Happy Families"?
4. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
5. What does Viktor give a speech about in "Housewarming"? What metaphor does he employ?
6. Where do Liesel and Viktor live in "Conception"? Who visits them?
7. What emotional conflict does Hana face in "Memories"? Who consoles her?
8. How does the affair between Viktor and Kata rekindle in "Ship"?
9. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
10. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plight of Jews during World War II and the status of the war in "Anschluss." What dangers did Viktor's family face from the Nazis?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)