|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Encounter," Kata explains to the group that she was working where when the Nazis raided the shop?
2. In "Construction," Liesel and Viktor's architect describes wanting to build a house that does what?
3. In "Proposal," Kata insists that if this is love, Viktor would do what?
4. When was Adolf Hitler born?
5. In "Small Issue," Viktor decides that what month is the latest the family can stay in Czechoslovakia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed about the house in "Completion"?
2. Why do Liesel and Viktor have the baby baptized in "Construction"? What do they argue about?
3. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
4. Discuss the sexual motifs in "Ecstasy." Whom does Hana develop feelings for in this chapter?
5. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
6. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
7. What does Rainer relate of his ideas for the house in "Conception"?
8. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
9. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
10. What does Viktor give a speech about in "Housewarming"? What metaphor does he employ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of Czechoslovakia and the history of the Villa Tugendhat. How did this house inspire the author to write the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Hana in the narrative. How is Hana described by the author? How does Liesel feel about her friend?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of symbolism and irony in "Proposal," "Ship," "Last Year in Marienbad," "Small Issue," and "Storm in March." How does the Glass Room reflect the relationship of its inhabitants?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)