|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liesel wants to offer Kata and her fellow refugees what in order to help them in "Encounter"?
2. Although Liesel and Viktor are both nonreligious, they decide to have their daughter baptized to make whom happy?
3. In "Construction," Liesel and Viktor's architect insists that they will not be building a house for __________.
4. Liesel and Viktor's architect intends to create a stone wall in the great room which he says will be the color of whose hair?
5. Who stays by Liesel's side when she becomes deathly ill during her second childbirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
2. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
3. What emotional conflict does Hana face in "Memories"? Who consoles her?
4. How is the onyx wall proposed in "Onyx"? What are the differences in Liesel and Viktor's feelings about the house?
5. Why do Liesel and Viktor have the baby baptized in "Construction"? What do they argue about?
6. What does Vesley inform the Landauer family of in "Contact"? What is their reaction?
7. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
8. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
9. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
10. What is described in "A Day in the Life"? What thoughts consume Viktor in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)