|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Recital," the Landauer's throw a party to raise money for what organization?
2. What is the name of the second child Viktor and Liesel have in "Birth"?
3. As "Anschluss" starts, Viktor listens to the radio and discovers that what country has been taken over by the Germans?
4. In "Construction," Liesel and Viktor's architect insists that they will not be building a house for __________.
5. What famous pianist plays at the housewarming party hosted by the Landauers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
2. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
3. How does Viktor compare the two world wars in "Robots"?
4. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
5. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
6. Discuss the sexual motifs in "Ecstasy." Whom does Hana develop feelings for in this chapter?
7. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
8. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
9. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
10. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Liesel's discovery of her husband's affair. How does Liesel react? Why does she comfort Kata instead of attacking her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)