|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Landauers' family driver and handyman?
2. Who attends the Landauers house-warming party and completely basks in all the glory of the house?
3. With what famous pianist does Hana describe having an affair in "Hana"?
4. What is Hana's last name?
5. In "Construction," Liesel and Viktor's architect insists that they will not be building a house for __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is described in "A Day in the Life"? What thoughts consume Viktor in this chapter?
2. Where do Liesel and Viktor live in "Conception"? Who visits them?
3. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
4. What is foreshadowed about the house in "Completion"?
5. How does Viktor compare the two world wars in "Robots"?
6. Who is Viktor looking for in "Loss"? Where is he?
7. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
8. Describe the outline of the house in "Gestation." What elements of the house are nontraditional?
9. Where does Hana go in "Coda"? What affair takes place?
10. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)