|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Liesel and Viktor travel to attempt to rekindle their passion in "Birth"?
2. What is the name of Kata's daughter?
3. What is the name of Viktor and Liesel's daughter in "Construction"?
4. In "A Day in the Life," Viktor is constantly bombarded about thoughts of his own ___________.
5. In "Small Issue," Viktor decides that what month is the latest the family can stay in Czechoslovakia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Liesel and Viktor become closer in "Interior"? What does Liesel question her husband about in this chapter?
2. Where do Liesel and Viktor live in "Conception"? Who visits them?
3. Whom does Hana describe helping in "Coda"? Why?
4. Describe the political landscape in "Anschluss." What concerns does Viktor have?
5. What does Rainer relate of his ideas for the house in "Conception"?
6. How does Viktor compare the two world wars in "Robots"?
7. What interaction do Liesel and Viktor have with Rainer von Abt in "Construction"?
8. What architect do Liesel and Viktor meet in "Honeymoon"? Where?
9. How is the fundraiser described in "Recital"? What does the author write of the house in this chapter?
10. How does the affair between Viktor and Kata rekindle in "Ship"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Hana in the narrative. How is Hana described by the author? How does Liesel feel about her friend?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)