|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
2. Who is Billy Deel?
3. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
4. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
5. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
2. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
3. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
4. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
5. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
6. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
7. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
8. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
9. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
10. Why does Rex dislike staying with Rose Mary's mother (Grandma Smith)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Rex has difficulty holding a job and fully realizing his responsibilities, yet he does love his children and expresses it as best he can. Describe the dysfunctional yet caring relationship between this father and his children. Discuss examples of both times he failed his children, as well as and in which he was able to 'come through' or express his love for them in a meaningful way.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the author and her parents is a very complex one. She is both fond of them and attempts to understand their behavior, and is shocked that they are able to be so childish and neglectful in providing for even the very basic needs of the children. Discuss this relationship with consideration to the following questions:
1) Discuss examples of the neglectful behavior described in the book. How are the parents negligent and how are the children able to get by in spite of this?
2) Relate examples of the positive experiences that the author has with each of her parents, and what she considers to be some of their positive characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Rose Mary tells Jeannette, as an adult, that her values are "all confused." What does Rose Mary mean?
1) How does Rose Mary view Jeannette's life and career?
2) What are Rose Mary's values like and how do Jeannette's differ?
3) What values or ideas do you think that they agree on? What is important to both of them?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)