|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
2. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
3. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
4. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
5. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
2. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
3. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
4. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
5. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
6. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
7. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
8. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
9. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
10. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's views of what is important and what will bring her happiness change throughout the book. Discuss how her ideas of a good life evolve from childhood into adulthood. Consider:
1) What things does Jeannette hope for as a child?
2) What is her life like as an adult, and is she happy?
3) Do Jeannette's values change throughout her life, or is she essentially the same person?
4) What does Jeannette ultimately decide that she has been looking for, and where does she find it?
Essay Topic 2
The author is able to grow into a successful adult despite her upbringing. How does the author's difficult childhood contribute to the development of self-reliance and confidence? Cite specific instances in the book of both how her difficult circumstances cause her to become stronger, or more resourceful, and how others in her life help her.
Essay Topic 3
Life is hard for the Walls family wherever they go. However, in different places it is hard in different ways. Compare their lives in Phoenix, Battle Mountain, and Welch, answering each of the following questions about each location:
1) What are the family's basic living conditions like?
2) What is Rose Mary's emotional condition like and how does it affect the rest of the family?
3) Discuss Rex's emotional condition as well.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)