|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
2. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
3. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
4. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
5. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
2. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
3. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
4. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
5. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
6. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
7. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
8. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
9. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
10. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although life is very difficult in the Walls household, one way that the children cope is through depending on each other. Describe the relationship between the children: Brian, Lori, Jeannette, and Maureen and how they depend on and take care of each other. What roles do each of these children play within the family? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Rose Mary tells Jeannette, as an adult, that her values are "all confused." What does Rose Mary mean?
1) How does Rose Mary view Jeannette's life and career?
2) What are Rose Mary's values like and how do Jeannette's differ?
3) What values or ideas do you think that they agree on? What is important to both of them?
Essay Topic 3
Life is hard for the Walls family wherever they go. However, in different places it is hard in different ways. Compare their lives in Phoenix, Battle Mountain, and Welch, answering each of the following questions about each location:
1) What are the family's basic living conditions like?
2) What is Rose Mary's emotional condition like and how does it affect the rest of the family?
3) Discuss Rex's emotional condition as well.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)