|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
2. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
3. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
4. Where did Rex grow up?
5. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
2. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
3. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
4. What is Rex's reaction to Rose Mary's plan to travel to West Virginia and what happens when the family gets ready to go?
5. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
6. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
7. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
8. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
9. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
10. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is not important to Rose Mary and Rex Walls, which is demonstrated throughout the book. Although it may sometimes appear that the couple's actions are somewhat amoral or selfish, they are actually living according to their own set of moral values that do not agree with those of society. What are the values of Rose Mary and Rex and how do they demonstrate them to both their children and the world? What is it that really matters to Rex and Rose Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Walls parents frequently put their children in dangerous situations, it is obvious that they do not believe that their philosophy of parenting is flawed. Discuss Rex and Rose Mary's philosophy of parenting.
1) How do they believe children should be treated? What do they think of as their responsibility as parents?
2) What do they consider the children's responsibilities within the family?
3) Give examples in which Rex or Rose Mary fail to act in a manner that would be considered responsible by most people. How do they justify their actions within the context of their philosophy of life?
Essay Topic 3
The Walls siblings all find different ways to deal with their difficult circumstances. Compare and contrast the responses of Lori, Maureen, Brian, and Jeannette to the stresses of living without resources.
1) How does each of the children deal with their problems emotionally?
2) How do some, if any, of the children work together to relieve some of their misery?
3) What does each of the children do to try to get what they need?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)