|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
2. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
3. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
4. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
5. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
2. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
3. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
4. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
5. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
6. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
7. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
8. How does Rose Mary's philosophy of life make it difficult for her to hold a job?
9. Why does Rex dislike staying with Rose Mary's mother (Grandma Smith)?
10. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Walls parents frequently put their children in dangerous situations, it is obvious that they do not believe that their philosophy of parenting is flawed. Discuss Rex and Rose Mary's philosophy of parenting.
1) How do they believe children should be treated? What do they think of as their responsibility as parents?
2) What do they consider the children's responsibilities within the family?
3) Give examples in which Rex or Rose Mary fail to act in a manner that would be considered responsible by most people. How do they justify their actions within the context of their philosophy of life?
Essay Topic 2
Rose Mary tells Jeannette, as an adult, that her values are "all confused." What does Rose Mary mean?
1) How does Rose Mary view Jeannette's life and career?
2) What are Rose Mary's values like and how do Jeannette's differ?
3) What values or ideas do you think that they agree on? What is important to both of them?
Essay Topic 3
Rex's alcoholism is a major theme in the memoir. Although he occasionally is able to stop drinking for a short time, inevitably he returns to it. What personality traits and aspects of his background seem to contribute to his tendency toward alcoholism?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)