|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
2. What is Jeannette's profession?
3. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
4. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
5. Where did Rex grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
2. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
3. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
4. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
5. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
6. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
7. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
8. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
9. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
10. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's views of what is important and what will bring her happiness change throughout the book. Discuss how her ideas of a good life evolve from childhood into adulthood. Consider:
1) What things does Jeannette hope for as a child?
2) What is her life like as an adult, and is she happy?
3) Do Jeannette's values change throughout her life, or is she essentially the same person?
4) What does Jeannette ultimately decide that she has been looking for, and where does she find it?
Essay Topic 2
Rose Mary describes herself as an "excitement addict" at one point in the book. How does Rose Mary view herself?
1) What does she mean when she says that she is an excitement addict? Give examples of her behavior that support this view of herself.
2) How does she justify her behavior when it threatens her children's well-being?
3) What is her philosophy of life and how does it influence her parenting style?
Essay Topic 3
Rex's alcoholism is a major theme in the memoir. Although he occasionally is able to stop drinking for a short time, inevitably he returns to it. What personality traits and aspects of his background seem to contribute to his tendency toward alcoholism?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)