|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John?
(a) Rex's brother.
(b) Jeannette's son.
(c) Brian's best friend.
(d) Jeannette's second husband.
2. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
(a) Because they aren't from Welch.
(b) Because of their lack of clothing and food.
(c) Because they are "teacher's pets."
(d) Because their mother doesn't have a real job.
3. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) In the trash can at school.
(b) She steals from her teacher.
(c) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(d) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
4. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
(c) A heart attack.
5. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
(a) They side with Erma, saying the children should have behaved better.
(b) They are enraged at Erma.
(c) They beat the children for lying.
(d) They pretend that they do not hear what the children are saying.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
2. Since the Walls family cannot find a house they can afford to rent, what do they do instead?
3. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
4. How does Rex put Jeannette in a potentially dangerous situation in Part 3?
5. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
2. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
3. Why does the owner of the paper that Jeannette works for talk her out of taking a job at his newspaper?
4. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
5. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
6. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
7. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
8. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
9. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
10. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)