|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
(a) Doing better in school and planning for graduation.
(b) He has left home and the family has not heard from him.
(c) He is getting into trouble and frequently involved in fights.
(d) He stays in his room alone all of the time but does well in school.
2. Who is John?
(a) Jeannette's second husband.
(b) Jeannette's son.
(c) Brian's best friend.
(d) Rex's brother.
3. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
(a) He tells her that she won't ever be anything.
(b) He makes an off-color comment to her.
(c) He refers to her father as "the town drunk."
(d) He offers her money for food.
4. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
(a) She hides all of the money and doles it out sparingly.
(b) She spends it all on food to last the entire month before her father can get to it.
(c) She gives money to her father when he asks, even though she knows she shouldn't.
(d) She wastes some of it on things for herself and is ashamed, but buys food with the rest.
5. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
(a) Because she feels she deserves to have something nice.
(b) To get even, when her boss accuses her of being a thief.
(c) To give a gift to her mother.
(d) In order to buy food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
2. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
3. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
4. What does Jeannette tell her parents about the social worker visiting the house?
5. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
2. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
3. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
4. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
5. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
6. Describe Rex and Rose Mary's living arrangements and lifestyle in New York.
7. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents by the end of the book?
8. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
9. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
10. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)