|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
(a) To get even, when her boss accuses her of being a thief.
(b) Because she feels she deserves to have something nice.
(c) To give a gift to her mother.
(d) In order to buy food.
2. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) A set of golf clubs.
(b) A camera.
(c) An expensive diamond ring.
(d) A fur coat.
3. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
(d) Grandpa Walls.
4. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
(b) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
(c) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(d) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
5. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) In Lori's apartment.
(b) In the same abandoned apartment building that she and Rex had been squatting in for years.
(c) In her own apartment.
(d) In a women's shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
2. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
3. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
4. What happens to the money that Lori and Jeannette have been saving?
5. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
2. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
3. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
4. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents by the end of the book?
5. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
6. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
7. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
8. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
9. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
10. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)