|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She stabs her mother during an argument.
(b) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
(c) She threatens her brother and sisters.
(d) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
2. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) They all sleep in one big bed.
(b) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(c) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
(d) They finally have their own rooms.
3. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
(a) They can't understand the principal and don't answer his questions correctly.
(b) The teacher talks to them and decides that they aren't smart.
(c) Their mother tells the school that the children can't read.
(d) The children tell the principal that they want to be in slower classes.
4. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) Her sister runs away.
(b) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
(c) She catches her father with another woman.
(d) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
5. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
(a) He moves to New York City to be near his sisters.
(b) He stays in Welch and gets a menial job.
(c) He gets into trouble with the law.
(d) He enrolls in college.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
2. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
3. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
4. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
5. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
2. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
3. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
4. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
5. What are some of the reasons that the children do not like going to school in Welch?
6. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
7. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
8. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
9. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
10. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)