|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(b) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
(c) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(d) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
2. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
(a) She plays with him when his sister won't.
(b) She gives him her money to get a drink.
(c) She shares some of her lunch when he is hungry.
(d) She chases away a dog that is bothering him.
3. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
(a) Rex gets arrested, and they fall behind in the rent.
(b) Their daughter asks them to leave her house.
(c) They are kicked out of the shelter for stealing.
(d) The van that they are living in gets towed away.
4. What is the high school guidance counselor's advice for Jeannette?
(a) To graduate high school and find a college to go to in West Virginia.
(b) To keep her aspirations low, considering her background.
(c) To get married and not worry about school.
(d) To find a vocational school to go to, and live at home.
5. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She stabs her mother during an argument.
(b) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
(c) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
(d) She threatens her brother and sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
2. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
3. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
4. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
5. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
2. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
3. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
4. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
5. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
6. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
7. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
8. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
9. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
10. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)