|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John?
(a) Jeannette's second husband.
(b) Rex's brother.
(c) Jeannette's son.
(d) Brian's best friend.
2. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(b) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(c) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
(d) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
3. What happens to the money that Lori and Jeannette have been saving?
(a) They decide to give it to their parents.
(b) They lend it to their brother, who does not pay them back.
(c) They spend it on a school trip.
(d) Their father breaks their piggy bank and steals it.
4. What happens that saves Jeannette from having to drop out of school because of financial problems?
(a) She gets a high-paying job.
(b) Her father comes up with the money for her tuition.
(c) Her mother sells her jewelry to help her.
(d) She borrows money from her sister.
5. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
(a) They hide all of their prized possessions in it.
(b) They want to have a place to go and hide by themselves to talk.
(c) They decide to make a pet cemetery for their dogs and cats.
(d) They want to help Rex build the foundation for the glass castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
2. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
3. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
4. What happens when Jeannette goes swimming in a public pool?
5. Who is Ginnie Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
2. What are some of the reasons that the children do not like going to school in Welch?
3. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
4. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
5. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
6. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
7. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
8. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
9. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
10. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)