|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(b) Boston College.
(d) Columbia University.
2. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
(a) Go to New York City.
(b) Get jobs to help support the family.
(c) Visit their Grandma Smith.
(d) Steal their parent's money.
3. Who is John?
(a) Rex's brother.
(b) Jeannette's son.
(c) Jeannette's second husband.
(d) Brian's best friend.
4. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) The kids use it as a hide out.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
5. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
(a) To go on a second honeymoon.
(b) They want the kids to spend 'quality time' with Erma.
(c) Because Rex has a new moneymaking scheme in Texas.
(d) To return to Phoenix to pick up their belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
2. Where do Jeannette and Lori first live in New York City?
3. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
4. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
5. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
2. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
3. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
4. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
5. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
6. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
7. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
8. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
9. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
10. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)