|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
(a) She is becoming resentful towards them.
(b) She can no longer make excuses for their actions, as she did as a small child.
(c) She starts to make excuses and find ways to justify all of the things that they have done.
(d) She understands more why they have done what they have done, and she agrees with them.
2. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
(a) It's out in the middle of nowhere.
(b) It is bigger than their entire house in Welch.
(c) It is run-down and they are miserable.
(d) It is very luxurious.
3. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(b) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
(c) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
(d) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
4. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) The kids use it as a hide out.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
5. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
(a) The kids paint the outside and fix up the yard, but the inside is still in bad shape.
(b) The house has been burned down.
(c) The family has added onto the house, so there is more room for the children.
(d) The house is deteriorating with mold everywhere and no front door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the money that Jeannette is supposed to use to feed the family in Part 3?
2. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
3. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
4. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
5. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
2. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
3. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
4. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
5. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
6. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
7. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
8. How does Rose Mary view her and Rex's living situation in New York? How do the other members of the family see things differently?
9. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
10. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)