|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
(a) Lori catches Erma attempting to molest Brian.
(b) Erma believes Jeannette stole her money.
(c) Erma tells Lori that her father is "just a bum."
(d) Brian becomes upset at Erma because she doesn't pay attention to him.
2. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(b) She helps her apply to college there.
(c) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(d) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
3. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(b) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
(c) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(d) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
4. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
(a) They're friends with Dinitia's parents and enjoy having her around.
(b) They are glad Jeannette has found a friend.
(c) They don't like it because Dinitia is black.
(d) They dislike Dinitia because they once had a a feud with her parents.
5. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
(a) He sits on the porch and cries.
(b) He chases after them and throws rocks at them.
(c) He tells his father, who goes to talk to the other parents.
(d) He ignores them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
2. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
3. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
4. How does Rex put Jeannette in a potentially dangerous situation in Part 3?
5. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
2. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
3. Why does the owner of the paper that Jeannette works for talk her out of taking a job at his newspaper?
4. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
5. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents by the end of the book?
6. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
7. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
8. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
9. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
10. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)