|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
(a) As a man who caused more trouble than he was worth.
(b) As an important force in their lives.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With great resentment.
2. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
(a) Warm, nurturing, and fun.
(b) She has no idea what having a grandparent would be like.
(c) Cruel, because that has been her experience.
(d) Serious like her father.
3. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
(a) To their Grandpa's apartment.
(b) To the swimming pool.
(c) To a public restroom at a gas station.
(d) To their friends' houses.
4. What is Jeannette's occupation in New York in Part 4?
5. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
(a) Because she is mad at her grandfather, who also lives there.
(b) Because her uncle tried to molest her.
(c) Because she is afraid to leave her siblings at home.
(d) Because she wants to help her mother instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
2. What is Brian's occupation in Part 4?
3. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
4. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
5. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
2. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
3. How does Rose Mary view her and Rex's living situation in New York? How do the other members of the family see things differently?
4. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents by the end of the book?
5. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
6. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
7. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
8. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
9. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
10. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)