|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) Her sister runs away.
(b) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
(c) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
(d) She catches her father with another woman.
2. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He goes to stay with another woman.
(b) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
(c) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
(d) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
3. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They don't like her roommate.
(b) They are concerned for her safety.
(c) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
(d) They think that her apartment is too small.
4. Where does Maureen go upon her release from the hospital?
(a) Back to the family home in Phoenix.
(b) To California.
(c) To her parent's old house in Welch.
(d) To live with her sister.
5. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
(a) It is a mobile home.
(b) It is an old-fashioned house with lots of room.
(c) It is very small, but clean and modern.
(d) It is a very run-down one bedroom with no indoor plumbing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
2. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
3. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
4. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
5. What does Brian's mother do with what Jeanette and Brian find while foraging in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
2. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
3. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
4. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
5. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
6. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
7. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
8. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
9. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
10. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)