|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They are concerned for her safety.
(b) They don't like her roommate.
(c) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
(d) They think that her apartment is too small.
2. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(b) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
(c) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
(d) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
3. What happens to the money that Lori and Jeannette have been saving?
(a) They spend it on a school trip.
(b) Their father breaks their piggy bank and steals it.
(c) They decide to give it to their parents.
(d) They lend it to their brother, who does not pay them back.
4. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
(a) Her mother is angry at Lori and ignoring her.
(b) Because her mother has been staying out late every night.
(c) Her mother has been spending money on gambling.
(d) Because her mother has quit her job again.
5. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
(b) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(c) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(d) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
2. When Jeannette is sent out to get her father in Welch, where does she finally find him?
3. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
4. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
5. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
2. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
3. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
4. Why does the owner of the paper that Jeannette works for talk her out of taking a job at his newspaper?
5. Describe Rex and Rose Mary's living arrangements and lifestyle in New York.
6. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
7. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
8. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
9. What are some of the reasons that the children do not like going to school in Welch?
10. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)