|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(b) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
(c) She is using drugs.
(d) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
2. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
(d) A heart attack.
3. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
(a) Travel the world.
(b) Move back to Welch to be near her parents.
(c) Go straight to college.
(d) Take a job with the publication she interns for.
4. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
(a) Go back to her parents.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Take time off after high school to decide what she wants to do.
(d) Take a job at the paper.
5. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
(a) Lori catches Erma attempting to molest Brian.
(b) Brian becomes upset at Erma because she doesn't pay attention to him.
(c) Erma believes Jeannette stole her money.
(d) Erma tells Lori that her father is "just a bum."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeannette attend college?
2. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
3. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
4. What does Jeannette try to talk her mother into doing to make hers and the children's lives better?
5. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
2. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
3. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
4. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
5. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
6. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
7. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
8. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
9. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
10. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)