|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
(a) They're friends with Dinitia's parents and enjoy having her around.
(b) They don't like it because Dinitia is black.
(c) They are glad Jeannette has found a friend.
(d) They dislike Dinitia because they once had a a feud with her parents.
2. What happens to the money that Jeannette is supposed to use to feed the family in Part 3?
(a) The kids are able to make it last until their mother returns.
(b) She wastes it all on things for the house.
(c) It only lasts a few weeks.
(d) Her brother and sisters take it before she can buy groceries.
3. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
(a) He stays in Welch and gets a menial job.
(b) He enrolls in college.
(c) He gets into trouble with the law.
(d) He moves to New York City to be near his sisters.
4. What does Jeannette try to talk her mother into doing to make hers and the children's lives better?
(a) Getting her father into rehab for his drinking.
(b) Getting a better job.
(c) Leaving her father.
(d) Moving back to Phoenix.
5. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
(b) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(c) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
(d) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
2. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
3. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
4. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
5. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
2. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
3. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents by the end of the book?
4. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
5. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
6. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
7. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
8. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
9. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
10. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)