|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
(a) Because Rex doesn't know that she is in college.
(b) Because she is afraid that her brother and father won't get along there.
(c) Because she doesn't think that he will come.
(d) Because of his drunken behavior.
2. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
(a) Getting a full time job in a nursing home.
(b) Becoming closer friends with Dinitia.
(c) Working for the school newspaper and a small local paper.
(d) Finally finding a group of friends.
3. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
(a) Their mother tells the school that the children can't read.
(b) The teacher talks to them and decides that they aren't smart.
(c) The children tell the principal that they want to be in slower classes.
(d) They can't understand the principal and don't answer his questions correctly.
4. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
(a) It is a mobile home.
(b) It is very small, but clean and modern.
(c) It is a very run-down one bedroom with no indoor plumbing.
(d) It is an old-fashioned house with lots of room.
5. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
(a) With her teachers.
(b) In her bedroom, alone.
(c) At friends' houses.
(d) Staying at her Grandpa's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
2. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
3. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
4. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
5. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
2. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
3. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
4. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
5. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
6. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
7. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
8. How does Rose Mary view her and Rex's living situation in New York? How do the other members of the family see things differently?
9. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
10. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)