|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
(a) Visit their Grandma Smith.
(b) Steal their parent's money.
(c) Go to New York City.
(d) Get jobs to help support the family.
2. Who is John?
(a) Jeannette's son.
(b) Jeannette's second husband.
(c) Brian's best friend.
(d) Rex's brother.
3. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(b) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(c) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
(d) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
4. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
(a) Becoming closer friends with Dinitia.
(b) Getting a full time job in a nursing home.
(c) Working for the school newspaper and a small local paper.
(d) Finally finding a group of friends.
5. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
(b) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
(c) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(d) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
2. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
3. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
4. Where does Maureen go upon her release from the hospital?
5. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
2. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
3. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
4. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
5. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
6. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
7. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
8. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
9. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
10. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)