|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
(a) They want to help Rex build the foundation for the glass castle.
(b) They hide all of their prized possessions in it.
(c) They decide to make a pet cemetery for their dogs and cats.
(d) They want to have a place to go and hide by themselves to talk.
2. Where do Jeannette and Lori first live in New York City?
(a) In a house that they purchase with their savings.
(b) With friends.
(c) In a flophouse.
(d) In a hostel.
3. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
(b) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
(c) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
(d) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
4. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
(a) To stay at home, but drop out of school.
(b) To wait for graduation and then move back to Phoenix.
(c) To apply to top-notch schools.
(d) To move to New York City immediately, even before graduating high school.
5. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
(a) The other kids ignore them.
(b) The other children make fun of them and they get into fights.
(c) The other kids all want to be friends with them because they're new.
(d) The other children are jealous of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
2. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
3. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
4. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
5. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
2. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
3. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
4. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
5. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
6. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
7. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
8. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
9. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
10. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)