|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(b) In the trash can at school.
(c) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(d) She steals from her teacher.
2. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
(a) To their Grandpa's apartment.
(b) To the swimming pool.
(c) To a public restroom at a gas station.
(d) To their friends' houses.
3. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
(a) She gets the children into a good private school.
(b) She decides to move the family to Texas.
(c) She gets a job as a teacher.
(d) She makes plans to leave Rex.
4. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
(a) Move back to Welch to be near her parents.
(b) Go straight to college.
(c) Travel the world.
(d) Take a job with the publication she interns for.
5. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(b) Lori tells him he should quit.
(c) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
(d) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
2. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
3. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
4. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
5. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
2. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
3. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
4. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
5. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
6. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
7. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
8. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
9. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
10. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)