|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
(b) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(c) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(d) The kids use it as a hide out.
2. Where do Jeannette and Lori first live in New York City?
(a) With friends.
(b) In a house that they purchase with their savings.
(c) In a flophouse.
(d) In a hostel.
3. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
(a) Because her mother has been staying out late every night.
(b) Her mother is angry at Lori and ignoring her.
(c) Because her mother has quit her job again.
(d) Her mother has been spending money on gambling.
4. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
(a) They beat the children for lying.
(b) They side with Erma, saying the children should have behaved better.
(c) They pretend that they do not hear what the children are saying.
(d) They are enraged at Erma.
5. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(b) Columbia University.
(d) Boston College.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
2. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
3. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
4. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
5. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
2. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
3. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
4. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
5. How does Rose Mary view her and Rex's living situation in New York? How do the other members of the family see things differently?
6. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
7. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
8. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
9. What is Jeannette's reaction when a social worker comes to visit the home, and what does she tell her parents about it?
10. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)