|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At the author's apartment.
(d) At a homeless shelter.
2. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
(a) Gifts for his mistress.
(b) Gifts for the kids.
(c) Alcohol and gambling.
(d) Useless things for the house.
3. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
(b) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
(c) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(d) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
4. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
(a) He does not work.
5. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) He wants to meet the girls there.
(b) His friends tell him he should.
(c) He thinks he will see his father there.
(d) Jeannette dares him to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
2. Where did Jeannette grow up?
3. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
4. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
5. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
2. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
3. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
4. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
5. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
6. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
7. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
8. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
9. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
10. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)