|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
(b) The truck catches on fire.
(c) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
(d) The baby becomes very ill.
2. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
3. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
(a) Prison Guard.
(c) College Professor.
4. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(b) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(c) He takes them for an Easter present.
(d) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
5. What is Rex's educational background?
(a) He has no education beyond grammar school.
(b) He has never had any formal schooling.
(c) He is educated and has worked as an engineer.
(d) He did not graduate high school, but is very well-read.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
2. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
3. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
4. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
5. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rex dislike staying with Rose Mary's mother (Grandma Smith)?
2. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
3. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
4. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
5. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
6. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
7. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
8. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
9. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
10. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)