|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
2. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
3. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) Asks to be taken back home.
(b) Calls her friend to talk.
(c) Goes on to a party.
4. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A bar where the parents often go.
(b) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(c) The secret place where the children go to play.
(d) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
5. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
2. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
3. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
4. What is the Hot Pot?
5. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
2. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
3. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
4. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
5. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
6. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
7. Why does Rex dislike staying with Rose Mary's mother (Grandma Smith)?
8. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
9. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
10. How does Rose Mary's philosophy of life make it difficult for her to hold a job?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)