|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
(a) He likes to play board games and cards with them.
(b) He likes to paint and do ceramics with them.
(c) He tells them stories at night and plays outside with them.
(d) He never does anything with them.
2. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) Battle Mountain.
(c) West Virginia.
3. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At the author's apartment.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At a homeless shelter.
4. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(b) The baby is left on top of the car.
(c) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(d) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
5. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Move away to another place.
(b) Move on and have her own life.
(c) Accept her parents as they are.
(d) Help her parents to change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
2. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
3. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
4. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
5. Jeannette has how many siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
2. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
3. How does Rose Mary's philosophy of life make it difficult for her to hold a job?
4. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
5. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
6. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
7. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
8. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
9. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
10. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)