|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the glass castle?
(a) The place that Jeannette escapes to in her dreams.
(b) The house that Rose Mary grew up.
(c) A place that the kids go to play.
(d) A home that Rex dreams of building for his family.
2. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Get her children into a better school.
(b) Go back to college.
(c) Open an art gallery.
(d) Learn to cook.
3. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
4. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
(a) Painters and a recent art exhibit.
(b) How she needs help.
(d) The author's childhood.
5. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
(a) Because she doesn't want to be seen with her mother.
(b) She doesn't want her mother to see where she lives.
(c) Because her mother likes it there.
(d) Her mother will only meet her in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
2. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
3. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
4. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
5. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
2. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
3. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
4. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
5. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
6. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
7. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
8. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
9. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
10. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)