|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
(a) He likes to play board games and cards with them.
(b) He never does anything with them.
(c) He likes to paint and do ceramics with them.
(d) He tells them stories at night and plays outside with them.
2. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(b) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
(c) Her brother teaches her.
(d) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
3. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) Five brothers.
(b) Four sisters.
(c) No siblings.
(d) A brother and two sisters.
4. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
5. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
(b) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
(c) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
(d) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
2. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
3. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
4. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
5. What is the glass castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
2. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
3. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
4. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
5. Why is Jeannette so interested in going to Ginnie Sue's house? What is her visit like?
6. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
7. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
8. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
9. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
10. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)