|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
(a) Indifferent, lazy.
(b) Carefree, giddy.
(c) Angry, bitter.
(d) Self-reliant, strong.
2. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(b) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
(c) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
(d) The children throw something at one of the lions.
3. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is in a cab, on the way to a party.
(b) She is in line at the pharmacy.
(c) She is walking down the street.
(d) She is working in her office.
4. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Learn to cook.
(b) Get her children into a better school.
(c) Open an art gallery.
(d) Go back to college.
5. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
(b) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(c) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(d) Her brother teaches her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Deel?
2. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
3. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
4. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
5. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
2. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
3. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
4. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
5. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
6. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
7. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
8. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
9. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
10. Why does Rex dislike staying with Rose Mary's mother (Grandma Smith)?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)