|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
(a) Gifts for the kids.
(b) Alcohol and gambling.
(c) Gifts for his mistress.
(d) Useless things for the house.
2. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
(a) She doesn't want her mother to see where she lives.
(b) Because her mother likes it there.
(c) Her mother will only meet her in public.
(d) Because she doesn't want to be seen with her mother.
3. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
(a) He was working as an electrical engineer.
(b) He was a traveling salesman.
(c) He was in the Air Force.
(d) He did not have a job.
4. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
5. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) His friends tell him he should.
(b) He wants to meet the girls there.
(c) Jeannette dares him to.
(d) He thinks he will see his father there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
2. What is the glass castle?
3. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
4. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
5. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
2. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
3. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
4. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
5. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
6. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
7. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
8. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
9. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
10. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)