Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(a) Tired of everything.
2. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Rex's parents.
(b) Her mother's friends.
(c) Grandma Smith.
(d) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
3. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the author's apartment.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At a homeless shelter.
4. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) Her brother teaches her.
(b) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(c) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(d) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
5. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(b) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(c) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(d) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
2. Where did Rex grow up?
3. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
4. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
5. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
2. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
3. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
4. What does Grandma Smith provide for Jeannette that she doesn't get at home?
5. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
6. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
7. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
8. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
9. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
10. Why does Rose Mary decide to hang on to the diamond ring that the children find in the woods rather than selling it for much needed money? What does this say about her priorities?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)