|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
2. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
(a) A woman throws things at him and tells him to leave.
(b) The women there are very kind to him.
(c) He is embarrassed and runs away.
(d) He sees his father there.
3. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
(a) She finds a boyfriend.
(b) A teacher takes a great interest in her.
(c) She becomes a cheerleader.
(d) She gets glasses and can finally see well.
4. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
(b) A stick of margarine with some sugar.
(c) Food that she found out in the yard.
(d) Apples from the neighbor's tree.
5. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) A good friend of Rex's.
(b) Rex's grandfather.
(c) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
(d) Brian's best friend from school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
2. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
3. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
4. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
5. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
2. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
3. What plans do Lori and Jeannette begin to make for themselves at the end of Part 3?
4. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
5. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
6. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
7. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
8. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
9. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
10. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)