|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A bar where the parents often go.
(b) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(c) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(d) The secret place where the children go to play.
2. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) Her mother's jewelry collection.
(b) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
(c) Several hundred thousand dollars.
(d) A mansion.
3. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
(a) He says that the FBI is after them.
(b) The family is getting kicked out of their home.
(c) He says that a blackjack dealer has figured out his "system" and they could get in trouble.
(d) He wants to take them to stay with his mother-in-law.
4. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
(b) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(c) She will not let children out of her sight.
(d) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
5. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
(a) She doesn't want her mother to see where she lives.
(b) Her mother will only meet her in public.
(c) Because she doesn't want to be seen with her mother.
(d) Because her mother likes it there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
2. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
3. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
4. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
5. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
2. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
3. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
4. What is Rex's reaction to Rose Mary's plan to travel to West Virginia and what happens when the family gets ready to go?
5. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
6. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
7. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
8. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
9. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
10. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)