|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She steals from other children's lunches.
(b) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(c) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(d) She eats things from the trash.
2. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) She always wanted to be college professor.
(b) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
(c) Teachers don't make enough money.
(d) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
3. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She will not let children out of her sight.
(b) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
(c) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(d) She believes in very harsh discipline.
4. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
5. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) With friends in a housing project.
(b) They are homeless.
(c) In a nursing home.
(d) In a halfway house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
2. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
3. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
4. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
5. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
2. What is Rex's reaction to Rose Mary's plan to travel to West Virginia and what happens when the family gets ready to go?
3. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
4. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
5. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
6. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
7. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
8. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
9. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
10. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)