|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) Several hundred thousand dollars.
(b) A mansion.
(c) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
(d) Her mother's jewelry collection.
2. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
(b) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(c) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(d) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
3. Why does Rex tell his family that he has lost his job?
(a) His boss does not like him.
(b) There is no more work, the company is closing.
(c) Because the government made his company fire him.
(d) Because it's time to quit and "look for gold."
4. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(b) The children throw something at one of the lions.
(c) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
(d) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
5. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
(a) He has a physical disability.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He threatens the other employees.
(d) He does not have any skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
2. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
3. Who is Billy Deel?
4. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
5. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
2. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
3. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
4. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
5. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
6. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
7. How does Rose Mary's philosophy of life make it difficult for her to hold a job?
8. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
9. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
10. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)