|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
(b) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(c) She steals her sister's food.
(d) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
2. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
(a) He is embarrassed and runs away.
(b) He sees his father there.
(c) The women there are very kind to him.
(d) A woman throws things at him and tells him to leave.
3. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) Her mother's jewelry collection.
(b) A mansion.
(c) Several hundred thousand dollars.
(d) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
4. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The truck catches on fire.
(b) The baby becomes very ill.
(c) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
(d) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
5. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) Grandma Smith.
(c) The Walls parents.
(d) Lori and Jeannette.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
2. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
3. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
4. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
5. What is the Green Lantern?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
2. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
3. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
4. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
5. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
6. Why does Rex dislike staying with Rose Mary's mother (Grandma Smith)?
7. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
8. What does Grandma Smith provide for Jeannette that she doesn't get at home?
9. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
10. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)