|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
(b) Food and shelter.
(d) Education of any type.
2. What is the Hot Pot?
(a) A hot spring where the family goes to swim.
(b) A local bar that Rex frequents.
(c) The name of the place that the kids build a fort.
(d) A special hiding place in the basement.
3. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) The Walls parents.
(b) Grandma Smith.
(c) Lori and Jeannette.
4. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(b) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(c) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(d) She should tell the truth.
5. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
2. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
3. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
4. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
5. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
2. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
3. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
4. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
5. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
6. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
7. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
8. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
9. What does Grandma Smith provide for Jeannette that she doesn't get at home?
10. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)