|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(b) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(c) She should tell the truth.
(d) She should tell them it is none of their business.
2. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Open an art gallery.
(b) Get her children into a better school.
(c) Go back to college.
(d) Learn to cook.
3. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
(c) Another teacher.
4. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
5. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
(b) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
(c) She always wanted to be college professor.
(d) Teachers don't make enough money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
2. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
3. What causes the argument that ends in Rose Mary being dangled out of the window by her feet by Rex?
4. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
5. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
2. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
3. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
4. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
5. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
6. How are Brian, Maureen, and Jeannette's ways of coping with their home life differ? What does each of them do?
7. Rex is largely absent from the family after they move to Welch. What has he been doing during this time?
8. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
9. How does Rose Mary's philosophy of life make it difficult for her to hold a job?
10. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)