|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
(b) He does not work.
2. Where did Jeannette grow up?
(a) In Canada.
(b) Overseas, where her father was in the Air Force.
(c) In the deep South.
(d) She moved frequently.
3. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
(b) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(c) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(d) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
4. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
(a) They are very popular right away.
(b) They are all put into special education classes.
(c) They decide not to return after the first week.
(d) They are put into advanced classes.
5. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
(b) Strict discipline.
(c) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
(d) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
2. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
3. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
4. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
5. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
2. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
3. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
4. What does Grandma Smith provide for Jeannette that she doesn't get at home?
5. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
6. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
7. What incident leads Jeannette to finally making a friend in West Virginia?
8. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
9. What happens when Jeannette makes an attempt to fix up her family's ramshackle home in West Virginia?
10. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)