|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She has a very hard time academically.
(b) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
2. What is Rex's educational background?
(a) He has never had any formal schooling.
(b) He did not graduate high school, but is very well-read.
(c) He is educated and has worked as an engineer.
(d) He has no education beyond grammar school.
3. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
(a) The women there are very kind to him.
(b) He sees his father there.
(c) He is embarrassed and runs away.
(d) A woman throws things at him and tells him to leave.
4. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(b) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(c) The baby is left on top of the car.
(d) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
5. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Learn to cook.
(b) Go back to college.
(c) Get her children into a better school.
(d) Open an art gallery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
2. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
3. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
4. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
5. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
2. Why does Jeannette ask the cab driver to go back to the apartment after she sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
3. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
4. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
5. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
6. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
7. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
8. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
9. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
10. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)