|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
(a) That she needs a lot of help if she is going to change.
(b) That she would change if she wasn't so old.
(c) That she does not want to change.
(d) That she cannot change because of her husband.
2. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
3. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(b) The weather makes the baby sick.
(c) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(d) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
4. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(b) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
(c) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(d) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
5. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
(b) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
(c) She sends a letter.
(d) She calls a mutual friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
2. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
3. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
4. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
5. How long has Rex worked at the job in Battle Mountain before leaving it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
2. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
3. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
4. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
5. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
6. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
7. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
8. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
9. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
10. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)