|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, how old is Jeannette when she gets injured?
(a) A few days old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Ten years old.
2. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(a) Tired of everything.
3. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) As a hospital orderly.
(b) He does not have a job.
(c) In a mine.
(d) As a bartender.
4. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
(b) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(c) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(d) Dealing drugs.
5. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
(a) Painters and a recent art exhibit.
(b) How she needs help.
(d) The author's childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
2. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
3. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
4. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
5. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
2. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
3. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
4. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
5. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
6. How is the accident when Jeannette gets burned symbolic of her childhood as a whole?
7. The author tells her story in a very straightforward manner. What does her style of writing say about her personality?
8. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
9. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
10. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)