|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
(a) He is not angry and turns it into a physics lesson.
(b) He makes Jeannette and Brian rebuild the barn.
(c) He does not realize that Jeannette is responsible.
(d) He beats Jeannette.
2. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(b) He takes them for an Easter present.
(c) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(d) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
3. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
(a) Gifts for his mistress.
(b) Gifts for the kids.
(c) Alcohol and gambling.
(d) Useless things for the house.
4. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) She always wanted to be college professor.
(b) Teachers don't make enough money.
(c) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
(d) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
5. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
(a) He does not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
2. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
3. Where did Jeannette grow up?
4. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
5. Jeannette has how many siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
2. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
3. What is Rex's reaction to Rose Mary's plan to travel to West Virginia and what happens when the family gets ready to go?
4. What does Grandma Smith provide for Jeannette that she doesn't get at home?
5. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
6. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
7. How does Rex teach Jeannette to swim, and how is it representative of his philosophy of parenting in general?
8. How was Jeannette's childhood atypical?
9. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
10. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)