|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
(b) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
(c) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
(d) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
2. What is Jeannette's profession?
(a) Elementary Teacher.
(c) Literature Professor.
3. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They want to fit in with everyone.
(b) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
(c) They refuse to conform to them.
(d) They think rules are very important.
4. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
5. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
(a) A woman throws things at him and tells him to leave.
(b) He sees his father there.
(c) The women there are very kind to him.
(d) He is embarrassed and runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
2. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
3. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
4. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
5. What is the Hot Pot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Jeannette ask her father for on her tenth birthday and how does he react?
2. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
3. Why does the Walls family frequently pack up and move in the middle of the night?
4. How does Rose Mary try to make the family's Christmas in Phoenix special, and what happens to ruin it for them all?
5. Why does Rex take the children over the safety fence to touch a cheetah at the zoo?
6. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
7. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
8. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
9. What is Rex's reaction to Rose Mary's plan to travel to West Virginia and what happens when the family gets ready to go?
10. Why do you think Rose Mary continues to refuse help from her adult children?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)