|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She sends a letter.
(b) She calls a mutual friend.
(c) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
(d) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
2. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
(a) Carefree, giddy.
(b) Angry, bitter.
(c) Self-reliant, strong.
(d) Indifferent, lazy.
3. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) In a mine.
(b) As a hospital orderly.
(c) As a bartender.
(d) He does not have a job.
4. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
(b) Apples from the neighbor's tree.
(c) Food that she found out in the yard.
(d) A stick of margarine with some sugar.
5. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(b) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(c) She steals her sister's food.
(d) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
2. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
3. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
4. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
5. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lori and Jeannette help take responsibility for the new baby, Maureen, on the trip to their new home in Part 2?
2. What is Rose Mary's reply in Part 1 to Jeannette's asking her what she should tell others about her mother?
3. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
4. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
5. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
6. What are some of the unorthodox ways that the Walls parents get money and items for the house?
7. How does Jeannette's adult life differ from her mother's?
8. What is life like for the Walls children when they first move to Phoenix?
9. How does Rose Mary's philosophy of life make it difficult for her to hold a job?
10. What are Rex's feelings about how the family finances should be handled? How does he manage money?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)