|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) The children throw something at one of the lions.
(b) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(c) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
(d) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
2. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(b) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
(c) She will not discuss it.
(d) She has turned them down.
3. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(b) He takes them for an Easter present.
(c) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(d) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
4. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(b) Her brother teaches her.
(c) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(d) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
5. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Battle Mountain.
(b) Las Vegas.
(c) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
2. What is the glass castle?
3. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
4. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
5. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident precipitates the family's leaving Battle Mountain for Phoenix?
2. What does the author feel towards her parents in light of the circumstances of her childhood?
3. What feelings does Jeannette have when she first sees her mother from afar in Part 1?
4. How do Jeannette's parents react to the death of the baby, Mary Charlene?
5. What are some examples of the neglect that the children suffer during their time in both Battle Mountain and in Phoenix?
6. What event happened the day that Rose Mary and Rex met, that Rex says caused him to fall in love with her?
7. Rose Mary and Jeannette have very different views of the world. Why does Rose Mary tell Jeannette that her values are "all confused"?
8. What does the glass castle represent, not only to Rex, but to the rest of the family as well?
9. "The Glass Castle" is the author's story of the unusual, and some would say tragic, circumstances of her childhood. What is the author's tone as she tells her story? How does this reflect who she is as a person?
10. How does the author describe her father in Part 2 of the book?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)