|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Four, New York City, and Part Five, Thanksgiving,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
(a) He stays in Welch and gets a menial job.
(b) He enrolls in college.
(c) He moves to New York City to be near his sisters.
(d) He gets into trouble with the law.
2. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
(a) She spends it all before he can get at it.
(b) She lets the children handle the money.
(c) She takes it to a bank and does not tell him.
(d) She hides it in the house.
3. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
(a) It is a mobile home.
(b) It is a very run-down one bedroom with no indoor plumbing.
(c) It is an old-fashioned house with lots of room.
(d) It is very small, but clean and modern.
4. What does Jeannette do about her schooling when she moves to New York?
(a) She drops out of high school.
(b) She decides to drop out of school for a while and go back when she can save up money.
(c) She attends a public school and works for a small publication.
(d) She goes to school part-time and works full-time.
5. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) Four sisters.
(b) Five brothers.
(c) No siblings.
(d) A brother and two sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
2. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
4. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
5. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)