|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three, Welch, Pages 183-241,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
(a) They don't stand up to her.
(b) They yell at her a lot.
(c) They are abusive towards her.
(d) They are embarrassed by her.
2. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
(a) Because her uncle tried to molest her.
(b) Because she is afraid to leave her siblings at home.
(c) Because she wants to help her mother instead.
(d) Because she is mad at her grandfather, who also lives there.
3. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(b) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(c) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(d) He takes them for an Easter present.
4. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(b) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(c) The secret place where the children go to play.
(d) A bar where the parents often go.
5. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) Her brother teaches her.
(b) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(c) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
(d) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
2. What does Jeannette try to talk her mother into doing to make hers and the children's lives better?
3. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
4. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
5. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)