|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three, Welch, Pages 183-241,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) There is no way to heat the house.
(b) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
(c) They have space heaters.
(d) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
2. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
(a) He tells her that she won't ever be anything.
(b) He makes an off-color comment to her.
(c) He refers to her father as "the town drunk."
(d) He offers her money for food.
3. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) A pet puppy.
(b) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(c) A star.
(d) A trip to the zoo.
4. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should tell the truth.
(b) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(c) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(d) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
5. Since the Walls family cannot find a house they can afford to rent, what do they do instead?
(a) Move in with friends.
(b) Build a house from found materials.
(c) Buy a house.
(d) Live in an abandoned house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
2. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
3. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
4. Where did Rex grow up?
5. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)