|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three, Welch, Pages 129-183,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
(b) She treats Rex with great respect.
(c) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(d) She indulges the children's every whim.
2. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
(a) They decide to make a pet cemetery for their dogs and cats.
(b) They want to help Rex build the foundation for the glass castle.
(c) They hide all of their prized possessions in it.
(d) They want to have a place to go and hide by themselves to talk.
3. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
(b) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
(c) He goes to stay with another woman.
(d) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
4. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
(a) Serious like her father.
(b) Warm, nurturing, and fun.
(c) Cruel, because that has been her experience.
(d) She has no idea what having a grandparent would be like.
5. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
(a) Lori catches Erma attempting to molest Brian.
(b) Erma tells Lori that her father is "just a bum."
(c) Erma believes Jeannette stole her money.
(d) Brian becomes upset at Erma because she doesn't pay attention to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
2. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
3. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
4. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
5. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)