|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 62-125,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She has turned them down.
(b) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
(c) She will not discuss it.
(d) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
2. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(b) She indulges the children's every whim.
(c) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
(d) She treats Rex with great respect.
3. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(b) She gets held back a grade.
(c) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(d) She has a very hard time academically.
4. Why does Rex tell his family that he has lost his job?
(a) Because the government made his company fire him.
(b) There is no more work, the company is closing.
(c) Because it's time to quit and "look for gold."
(d) His boss does not like him.
5. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She calls a mutual friend.
(b) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
(c) She sends a letter.
(d) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
2. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
3. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
4. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
5. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)