|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 62-125,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(b) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She has a very hard time academically.
2. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They think rules are very important.
(b) They want to fit in with everyone.
(c) They refuse to conform to them.
(d) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
3. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(b) She treats Rex with great respect.
(c) She indulges the children's every whim.
(d) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
4. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(b) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(c) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(d) The baby is left on top of the car.
5. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(b) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(c) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(d) The weather makes the baby sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeannette has how many siblings?
2. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
3. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
4. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
5. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)