|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 62-125,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jeannette's manner of telling her story in Part 1?
(d) With great sadness.
2. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(b) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(c) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(d) The weather makes the baby sick.
3. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
(b) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
(c) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
(d) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
4. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) Asks to be taken back home.
(b) Calls her friend to talk.
(c) Goes on to a party.
5. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
(b) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
(c) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(d) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
2. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
3. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
4. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
5. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)