|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rose Mary feel about her current living situation?
(a) She has been looking for a new place for a while and is very frustrated.
(b) She is all right with being homeless.
(c) She is angry that she cannot find a job.
(d) She is thinking about returning to her parent's home.
2. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
(b) She has turned them down.
(c) She will not discuss it.
(d) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
3. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should tell the truth.
(b) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(c) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(d) She should tell them it is none of their business.
4. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She has a very hard time academically.
(b) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
5. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
(b) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
(c) The truck catches on fire.
(d) The baby becomes very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeannette has how many siblings?
2. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
3. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
5. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)