|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a bad neighborhood.
(b) In a large house in the suburbs.
(c) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
(d) In a homeless shelter.
2. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(b) A trip to the zoo.
(c) A star.
(d) A pet puppy.
3. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
(b) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
(c) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
(d) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
4. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
(b) Strict discipline.
(c) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
(d) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
5. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(b) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(c) It is genuinely not important to her.
(d) She is deeply ashamed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
2. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
3. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
4. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
5. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)