|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
(b) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
(c) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
(d) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
2. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
(a) The author's childhood.
(b) How she needs help.
(d) Painters and a recent art exhibit.
3. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(b) She is deeply ashamed.
(c) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(d) It is genuinely not important to her.
4. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(b) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(c) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
(d) She will not let children out of her sight.
5. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) As a bartender.
(b) He does not have a job.
(c) In a mine.
(d) As a hospital orderly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
2. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
3. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
4. How does Rose Mary feel about her current living situation?
5. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)