|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
2. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(b) She has a very hard time academically.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
3. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a large house in the suburbs.
(b) In a bad neighborhood.
(c) In a homeless shelter.
(d) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
4. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(b) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(c) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
(d) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
5. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She will not let children out of her sight.
(b) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(c) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(d) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
2. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
3. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
4. Where did Jeannette grow up?
5. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)