|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(b) She treats Rex with great respect.
(c) She indulges the children's every whim.
(d) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
2. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(b) Battle Mountain.
(c) Las Vegas.
(d) West Virginia.
3. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She has turned them down.
(b) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(c) She will not discuss it.
(d) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
4. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(b) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(c) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(d) The baby is left on top of the car.
5. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) Five brothers.
(b) No siblings.
(c) Four sisters.
(d) A brother and two sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
2. Where did Rex grow up?
3. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
4. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
5. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)