|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a homeless shelter.
(b) In a bad neighborhood.
(c) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
(d) In a large house in the suburbs.
2. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(b) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
(c) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(d) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
3. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
(a) The author's childhood.
(b) How she needs help.
(c) Painters and a recent art exhibit.
4. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(b) It is genuinely not important to her.
(c) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(d) She is deeply ashamed.
5. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They think rules are very important.
(b) They refuse to conform to them.
(c) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
(d) They want to fit in with everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
2. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
3. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
4. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
5. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)