|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two, The Desert, Pages 9-61 ,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(b) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She has a very hard time academically.
2. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
(a) He says that the FBI is after them.
(b) He wants to take them to stay with his mother-in-law.
(c) The family is getting kicked out of their home.
(d) He says that a blackjack dealer has figured out his "system" and they could get in trouble.
3. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The truck catches on fire.
(b) The baby becomes very ill.
(c) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
(d) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
4. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
(c) Education of any type.
(d) Food and shelter.
5. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Battle Mountain.
(b) Las Vegas.
(c) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
2. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
3. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
4. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
5. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)