|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three, Welch, Pages 183-241,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeannette try to talk her mother into doing to make hers and the children's lives better?
(a) Leaving her father.
(b) Getting her father into rehab for his drinking.
(c) Moving back to Phoenix.
(d) Getting a better job.
2. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
(a) She gets glasses and can finally see well.
(b) A teacher takes a great interest in her.
(c) She becomes a cheerleader.
(d) She finds a boyfriend.
3. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
(a) To apply to top-notch schools.
(b) To wait for graduation and then move back to Phoenix.
(c) To stay at home, but drop out of school.
(d) To move to New York City immediately, even before graduating high school.
4. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(b) She steals her sister's food.
(c) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(d) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
5. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
(a) He makes Jeannette and Brian rebuild the barn.
(b) He does not realize that Jeannette is responsible.
(c) He is not angry and turns it into a physics lesson.
(d) He beats Jeannette.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
2. What is the Hot Pot?
3. In Part 2, how old is Jeannette when she gets injured?
4. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
5. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)