|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three, Welch, Pages 183-241,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rex put Jeannette in a potentially dangerous situation in Part 3?
(a) By leaving her alone at home.
(b) By letting her stay out all night.
(c) By giving her alcohol.
(d) By having her "entertain" a man who he is playing pool with.
2. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
(a) Be a scientist.
(b) Be a writer.
(c) Be a teacher.
(d) Be a social worker.
3. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(b) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
(c) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(d) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
4. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
(a) A stick of margarine with some sugar.
(c) Apples from the neighbor's tree.
(d) Food that she found out in the yard.
5. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(b) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(c) She helps her apply to college there.
(d) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
2. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
3. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
4. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
5. Where did Rex grow up?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)