|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three, Welch, Pages 183-241,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(b) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
(c) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(d) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
2. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
(a) Because she is afraid to leave her siblings at home.
(b) Because her uncle tried to molest her.
(c) Because she wants to help her mother instead.
(d) Because she is mad at her grandfather, who also lives there.
3. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She steals from other children's lunches.
(b) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(c) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(d) She eats things from the trash.
4. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
(a) She is helping Jeannette.
(b) She is not in the house.
(c) She is asleep in the living room.
(d) She is in the other room, painting.
5. What is the Hot Pot?
(a) The name of the place that the kids build a fort.
(b) A special hiding place in the basement.
(c) A local bar that Rex frequents.
(d) A hot spring where the family goes to swim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the money that Lori and Jeannette have been saving?
2. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
3. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
4. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
5. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)