|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Designori teach Knecht?
2. What does Designori want to explain to Knecht?
3. Who dies in this chapter?
4. Waht kind of coach does Knecht send to Designori's home?
5. Who does Knecht desire to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem Lament about?
2. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
3. What is the poem Compromise about?
4. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
5. What is the Rainmaker about?
6. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
7. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
8. How does Designori help Knecht move into the real world?
9. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
10. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Knecht would have coped with the real world had he survived? What meaning does Knecht's death give the novel?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)