|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knecht say the Castalia exists apart from?
2. What do Tegularius' superiors mostly assign him?
3. What is the name of the President of the Order?
4. What does Knecht say Designori is his link to?
5. What does Alexander offer Knecht?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
2. What is the Rainmaker about?
3. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
4. What opinions does Knecht hold about the Games and how they should be run?
5. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
6. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
7. What problems did Designori have with his father?
8. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
9. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
10. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
The Glass Bead Game has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)