|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knecht say the Castalia exists apart from?
2. What does the Rainmaker teach Knecht the knowledge of?
3. What does the note tell Knecht to do?
4. What does the Music Master do instead of answering questions?
5. Who leaves the note in the calendar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
2. What opinions does Knecht hold about the Games and how they should be run?
3. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
4. What are Knecht's views on books?
5. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
6. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
7. What do the board say in reply to Knecht's views?
8. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
9. What is the Rainmaker about?
10. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hesse's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Knecht?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)