|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of life would Knecht have preferred over the life of a Magister?
2. What is the poem Alphabets about?
3. What does Designori have in Belpunt?
4. Which two people have given Knecht knowledge about the outside world?
5. What is the name of Designori's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
2. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
3. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
4. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
5. What problems did Designori have with his father?
6. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
7. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
8. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
9. How does Knecht try and concentrate on the Games despite the Magister's illness?
10. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)