|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Knecht in the Indian Life?
2. Which two people have given Knecht knowledge about the outside world?
3. What does Knecht think the Order should place emphasis on?
4. What is the name of Designori's son?
5. What is the poem Alphabets about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
2. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
3. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
4. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
5. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
6. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
7. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
8. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
9. What is the poem Compromise about?
10. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)