|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Knecht remain for the rest of his life at the end of the Indian Life?
2. What does the note tell Knecht to do?
3. What political party did Designori join?
4. What kind of house does Knecht want to construct for the Games?
5. In what city does the Father Confessor take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
2. What is the poem Compromise about?
3. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
4. Why does Knecht not like his position as Magister?
5. What is the Rainmaker about?
6. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
7. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
8. What is the poem Lament about?
9. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
10. How does Knecht die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)