|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Knecht's friendship with Tegularius based on?
2. What is the name of the recommended student?
3. What does Designori tell Knecht he has no concept of?
4. How does Knecht say they should react to Designori's bad experiences?
5. What is Knecht remembering as he meditates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
2. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
3. What problems did Designori have with his father?
4. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
5. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
6. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
7. What are Knecht's views on books?
8. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
9. What do the board say in reply to Knecht's views?
10. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)