|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tegularius and Knecht discuss the poem in relation to?
2. What does Knecht join Tito in doing in the morning?
3. What does the last part of the book contain?
4. What does Knecht say the Order has not paid enough attention to?
5. What does Designori teach Knecht?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
2. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
3. How does Knecht die?
4. What are Knecht's views on books?
5. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
6. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
7. What problems did Designori have with his father?
8. How does Knecht try and concentrate on the Games despite the Magister's illness?
9. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
10. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)