|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tegularius' superiors mostly assign him?
2. What is the name of the recommended student?
3. What does the author say Teularius represents?
4. What does Knecht say Castalia could not exist without?
5. What does Knecht think is the most vulnerable part of the Castalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
2. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
3. What is the Rainmaker about?
4. Why does Knecht not like his position as Magister?
5. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
6. How does Designori help Knecht move into the real world?
7. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
8. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
9. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
10. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)