|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tegularius' superiors mostly assign him?
2. What does the Board say the Order does not take part in?
3. Who does Knecht talk to about the Music Master's condition?
4. What does Designori say shielded him from the outside world?
5. What does Knecht think is the most vulnerable part of the Castalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
2. What does Knecht say is a danger to the Order?
3. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
4. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
5. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
6. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
7. What do the board say in reply to Knecht's views?
8. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
9. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
10. What is the Rainmaker about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)