|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the note in the calendar?
2. Where does Knecht want to teach?
3. Who does Knecht talk to about the Music Master's condition?
4. Where does Knecht meditate after receiving the letter from the Order?
5. What is the name of the President of the Order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
2. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
3. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
4. What is the poem Compromise about?
5. How does Knecht die?
6. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
7. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
8. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
9. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
10. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) An intellectual movement can only evolve through war and general unrest.
2) The board and its members are too institutionalized to accept any of Knecht's views.
3) Knecht will experience none of the outside world by living in the mountains.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)