|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Designori want to explain to Knecht?
2. What does Designori have in Belpunt?
3. Who does Designori say speaking to Knecht is like speaking to?
4. What does the Rainmaker teach Knecht the knowledge of?
5. What political party did Designori join?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Deputy after the Magister dies?
2. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
3. How does Designori help Knecht move into the real world?
4. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
5. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
6. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
7. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
8. Why does Knecht not like his position as Magister?
9. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
10. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) An intellectual movement can only evolve through war and general unrest.
2) The board and its members are too institutionalized to accept any of Knecht's views.
3) Knecht will experience none of the outside world by living in the mountains.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)