|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tegularius and Knecht discuss the poem in relation to?
2. What is the name of the recommended student?
3. What does Designori want to explain to Knecht?
4. Who dies in this chapter?
5. How does Knecht think Designori has changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
2. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
3. What is the Rainmaker about?
4. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
5. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
6. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
7. What are Knecht's views on books?
8. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
9. How does Designori help Knecht move into the real world?
10. What is the poem Lament about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Knecht's criticisms of the Order? Why has Knecht questioned the Order more than other members have?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)