|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knecht tell Designori he needs?
2. What subject does Petrus study?
3. What is the name of Designori's son?
4. Who dies in this chapter?
5. In what city does the Father Confessor take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Knecht's views on books?
2. What is the Rainmaker about?
3. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
4. How does Knecht die?
5. How does Designori help Knecht move into the real world?
6. What does Knecht say is a danger to the Order?
7. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
8. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
9. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
10. What problems did Designori have with his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Knecht's life:
1) The Music Master
3) Father Jacobus
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Knecht would have coped with the real world had he survived? What meaning does Knecht's death give the novel?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)