|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is On Reading an Old Philosopher about?
2. What does the author say Teularius represents?
3. Who does Tegularius consult with at the Far Eastern College?
4. Who does Knecht talk to about the Music Master's condition?
5. What do Tegularius' superiors mostly assign him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
2. Why does Knecht not like his position as Magister?
3. What are Knecht's views on books?
4. How does Knecht die?
5. What is the poem Lament about?
6. What does Knecht give as his main reason for leaving the Order?
7. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
8. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
9. What does Knecht say is a danger to the Order?
10. What opinions does Knecht hold about the Games and how they should be run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hesse's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Knecht?
Essay Topic 2
What are Knecht's criticisms of the Order? Why has Knecht questioned the Order more than other members have?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)