|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note tell Knecht to do?
2. Who does Dasa marry?
3. Were does Designori say Knecht and Tito can live?
4. What is the name of the Rainmaker's daughter?
5. What is On Reading an Old Philosopher about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
2. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
3. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
4. What is the poem Compromise about?
5. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
6. Why does Knecht not like his position as Magister?
7. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
8. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
9. What are Knecht's views on books?
10. What is the poem Lament about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hesse's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Knecht?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)