|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first Games put on by Knecht called?
2. What does Knecht tell Designori he needs?
3. What kind of life would Knecht have preferred over the life of a Magister?
4. Where does Knecht want to teach?
5. How does Knecht think Designori has changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
2. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
3. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
4. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
5. What problems did Designori have with his father?
6. How does Knecht try and concentrate on the Games despite the Magister's illness?
7. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
8. What is the poem Compromise about?
9. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
10. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) An intellectual movement can only evolve through war and general unrest.
2) The board and its members are too institutionalized to accept any of Knecht's views.
3) Knecht will experience none of the outside world by living in the mountains.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)