|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waht kind of coach does Knecht send to Designori's home?
2. Who leaves the note in the calendar?
3. Who does Petrus say he is worried about?
4. Why does Designori think that speaking to Knecht is like speaking to a foreigner?
5. Who does Designori want Knecht to educate into the Castalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht not like his position as Magister?
2. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
3. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
4. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
5. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
6. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
7. What is the poem Compromise about?
8. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
9. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
10. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hesse's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Knecht?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)