|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cause did Designori begin to have doubts about?
2. What do Tegularius' superiors mostly assign him?
3. When did Designori used to return to Waldzell?
4. Complete the title of the following poem; tomorrow we...
5. What does Designori want to explain to Knecht?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
2. How does Knecht die?
3. What are Knecht's views on books?
4. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
5. How does Knecht try and concentrate on the Games despite the Magister's illness?
6. What condition does Knecht find his old Music Master in when he visits him in Montepart?
7. What do the board say in reply to Knecht's views?
8. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
9. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
10. What is the poem Compromise about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Glass Bead Game has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)