|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Designori say shielded him from the outside world?
2. What does Knecht think he will have to do if he does not stop feeling tired?
3. Who does Tegularius consult with at the Far Eastern College?
4. Who leaves the note in the calendar?
5. What does Knecht say Castalia could not exist without?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht say is a danger to the Order?
2. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
3. What problems did Designori have with his father?
4. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
5. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
6. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
7. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
8. What is the Rainmaker about?
9. Why is the position of deputy a dead end position?
10. What is the poem Compromise about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)