|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the next person to be elected as Magister Ludi?
2. Who does Designori now work for?
3. Who invites Knecht to his house?
4. Who wins first prize for the Glass Bead competition?
5. What type of theme must a game be started with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Designori think about Castalia?
2. How does the author define the modern biographies?
3. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
4. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
5. How does the music Master help Knecht?
6. What is the Glass Bead Game?
7. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
8. What is special about Waldzell School?
9. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
10. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)