|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Knecht's Shadow?
2. What do people think is the only thing Waldzell graduates are good for?
3. Who visits Knecht in this chapter?
4. When does Knecht leave the monastery?
5. What language does Knecht teach the Abbot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
2. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
3. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
4. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
5. How does the music Master help Knecht?
6. What is the Golden Book?
7. How does the author define the modern biographies?
8. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
9. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
10. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)