|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Knecht's first school?
2. What is Knecht more interested in doing than playing the Glass Bead Game?
3. What language does Knecht study?
4. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
5. What do most students become when they graduate from a school of Castalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
2. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
3. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
4. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
5. What kind of essay is Life?
6. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
7. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
8. How does the music Master help Knecht?
9. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
10. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)