Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Knecht delighted could make it to his ceremony?
2. Where does Knecht return to at the beginning of the chapter?
3. Why does Knecht not like the position of Magister?
4. What does Knecht decide to concentrate on instead of the Glass Bead Game?
5. What do people think is the only thing Waldzell graduates are good for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Designori have with Knecht?
2. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
3. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
4. What problems did Designori have with his father?
5. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
6. What kind of essay is Life?
7. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
8. How does the author define the modern biographies?
9. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
10. What does Designori think about Castalia?
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
How do you think Knecht would have coped with the real world had he survived? What meaning does Knecht's death give the novel?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)