|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of school do his teachers recommend him for?
2. Who does Knecht spend time with at Mariafels?
3. What is the real name of the current deputy?
4. Who wins first prize for the Glass Bead competition?
5. What is the name of Knecht's headmaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
2. What is the Golden Book?
3. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
4. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
5. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
6. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
7. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
8. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
9. What does Designori think about Castalia?
10. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Knecht's criticisms of the Order? Why has Knecht questioned the Order more than other members have?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Knecht's life:
1) The Music Master
3) Father Jacobus
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)