|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author say Knecht was destined for?
2. What Asian doctrine do the life essays examine?
3. Who does the author say the book is intended for?
4. What school does Knecht tell his Music Master he would like to enter?
5. What does the Magister want a representative for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
2. What is the Golden Book?
3. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
4. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
5. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
6. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
7. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
8. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
9. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
10. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
The Glass Bead Game has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)