|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only way to learn the Glass Bead Game?
2. What does Knecht complete introductory lessons in?
3. Who does Knecht spend time with at Mariafels?
4. Why is Knecht different from Mozart and Bach?
5. Why is Knecht popular with his superiors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
2. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
3. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
4. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
5. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
6. What is special about Waldzell School?
7. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
8. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
9. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
10. What does the author say most biographies are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) An intellectual movement can only evolve through war and general unrest.
2) The board and its members are too institutionalized to accept any of Knecht's views.
3) Knecht will experience none of the outside world by living in the mountains.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)