|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the next person to be elected as Magister Ludi?
2. What language does Knecht teach the Abbot?
3. What type of theme must a game be started with?
4. What is a student admitted into when he graduates?
5. What book does Knecht find the Abbot is well versed in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
2. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
3. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
4. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
5. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
6. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
7. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
8. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
9. What does Designori think about Castalia?
10. What advice does the Music Master give Knecht when he leaves for Waldzell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)