|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
2. In what context does Hesse say he will report on Knecht's life?
3. What is the name of the Order's headquarters?
4. What does Knecht have to file every year?
5. What two countries does the author state the Game originated in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht want as the next theme for the Games?
2. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
3. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
4. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
5. What are Knecht's views on books?
6. What is the poem Lament about?
7. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
8. What is the poem Compromise about?
9. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
10. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
Essay Topic 1
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the intellectual life.
1) What are intellectuals and how do they view life?
2) What influence have Intellectuals had on popular culture?
3) How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of Intellectual life? How has the intellectual shaped the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)