Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author say Knecht was destined for?
2. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
3. What kind of school do his teachers recommend him for?
4. What does Jacobus think Castalia is an imitation of?
5. What do people think is the only thing Waldzell graduates are good for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the music Master help Knecht?
2. What is the Golden Book?
3. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
4. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
5. What is the Glass Bead Game?
6. How does Knecht try and concentrate on the Games despite the Magister's illness?
7. What opinions does Knecht hold about the Games and how they should be run?
8. What does Designori learn about Knecht?
9. How does Alexander arrange for Knecht to leave the Order?
10. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hesse's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Knecht?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)