|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Knecht to his house?
2. What game did Knecht play?
3. What is Mariafels?
4. What type of theme must a game be started with?
5. What is the name of the essay Knecht occasionally has to compose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
2. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
3. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
4. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
5. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
6. What advice does the Music Master give Knecht when he leaves for Waldzell?
7. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
8. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
9. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
10. How does the music Master help Knecht?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)