|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author call the historian of literature?
2. What is the name of Knecht's headmaster?
3. What does Knecht decide to concentrate on instead of the Glass Bead Game?
4. What happens when Knecht is 24-years-old?
5. What is Knecht more interested in doing than playing the Glass Bead Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say most biographies are?
2. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
3. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
4. What is the Golden Book?
5. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
6. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
7. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
8. What is the poem Lament about?
9. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
10. How does Knecht try and concentrate on the Games despite the Magister's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the intellectual life.
1) What are intellectuals and how do they view life?
2) What influence have Intellectuals had on popular culture?
3) How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of Intellectual life? How has the intellectual shaped the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)