|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of theme must a game be started with?
2. Who visits Knecht in this chapter?
3. Who does Designori now work for?
4. What does the author say music comes from?
5. What does Knecht like to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
2. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
3. What is the Glass Bead Game?
4. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
5. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
6. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
7. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
8. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
9. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
10. What does Knecht tell the Music Master in his letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Knecht's life:
1) The Music Master
3) Father Jacobus
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)