|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Knecht find the Abbot is well versed in?
2. Who asks Knecht to write him a yearly letter?
3. What happens when Knecht is 24-years-old?
4. What religion do people assume that Knecht dabbled in while at the monastery?
5. What do common people call people from the Order?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
2. What does Designori think about Castalia?
3. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
4. How does the author define the modern biographies?
5. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
6. What is the Golden Book?
7. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
8. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
9. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
10. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The Glass Bead Game has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)