|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author say the book is intended for?
2. What subject does the author say the Glass Bead game is tied up with?
3. Who visits Knecht in this chapter?
4. Who shows Knecht around his new school?
5. What does Designori often criticize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
2. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
3. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
4. What does Knecht tell the Music Master in his letter?
5. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
6. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
7. What is the Golden Book?
8. What kind of essay is Life?
9. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
10. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)