|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Holy See?
2. What is the name of the new Magister?
3. Who wins first prize for the Glass Bead competition?
4. What do Knecht and Father Jacobus discuss?
5. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Glass Bead Game?
2. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
3. How does the author define the modern biographies?
4. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
5. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
6. How does the music Master help Knecht?
7. What is special about Waldzell School?
8. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
9. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
10. What does Designori think about Castalia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)