|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
2. Which of Knecht's friends does the new Music Master have on his staff?
3. Who invites Knecht to his house?
4. Who lives at Bamboo Grove?
5. What subject does the author say the Glass Bead game is tied up with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
2. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
3. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
4. Why does the current deputy find his work difficult?
5. How does Knecht criticize the Order?
6. What has Designori arranged for Knecht?
7. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
8. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
9. What is the Golden Book?
10. Why does Knecht find himself as part of the community?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Knecht's life and how did they change him? What does Knecht still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)