|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Designori say he won a struggle with?
2. What kind of exercise did the Glass Bead Game start off as?
3. Why is Knecht different from Mozart and Bach?
4. Where does Knecht have to go to report his return?
5. What was the name of Knecht's first school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
2. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
3. What does Knecht tell the Music Master in his letter?
4. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
5. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
6. What is the Glass Bead Game?
7. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
8. Why does Knecht have mixed feelings about leaving Tegularius?
9. What is the Golden Book?
10. How does the music Master help Knecht?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)