|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Knecht's headmaster?
2. What does the Magister want a representative for?
3. What is the name of Knecht's assistant?
4. What is the supreme head of the game known as?
5. What is the name of the Order's headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
2. What kind of essay is Life?
3. What is the Golden Book?
4. What does the author say most biographies are?
5. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
6. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
7. How does the author define the modern biographies?
8. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
9. What does Designori think about Castalia?
10. What is special about Waldzell School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) An intellectual movement can only evolve through war and general unrest.
2) The board and its members are too institutionalized to accept any of Knecht's views.
3) Knecht will experience none of the outside world by living in the mountains.
Essay Topic 2
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)