|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Father Jacobus playing?
2. What game did Knecht play?
3. What language does Knecht teach the Abbot?
4. Where does Betram run off to after the Magister's death?
5. Who does Knecht visit in Montepart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
2. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
3. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
4. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
5. What is the Golden Book?
6. How does the music Master help Knecht?
7. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
8. What does the author say most biographies are?
9. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
10. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Knecht's life:
1) The Music Master
3) Father Jacobus
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)