|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows Knecht around his new school?
2. Who does the author call the historian of literature?
3. Who asks Knecht to write him a yearly letter?
4. Where does the Music Master live?
5. What do common people call people from the Order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
2. What advice does the Music Master give Knecht when he leaves for Waldzell?
3. What does Designori think about Castalia?
4. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
5. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
6. What is the Glass Bead Game?
7. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
8. How does the author define the modern biographies?
9. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
10. What does the author say most biographies are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)