|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Knecht delighted could make it to his ceremony?
2. Who is the next person to be elected as Magister Ludi?
3. Who does Knecht spend time with at Mariafels?
4. What is Maraifels famous for?
5. What kind of life do people from the Order live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
2. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
3. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
4. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
5. What does Knecht tell the Music Master in his letter?
6. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
7. How does the author define the modern biographies?
8. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
9. What is the Golden Book?
10. What does the author say most biographies are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)