|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author say Knecht was destined for?
2. What do Knecht and Father Jacobus discuss?
3. What is a student admitted into when he graduates?
4. What is Mariafels?
5. What does Knecht devote his time to during his vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht say in his letter to the Music Master?
2. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
3. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
4. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
5. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
6. What is the Golden Book?
7. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
8. What advice does the Music Master give Knecht when he leaves for Waldzell?
9. What does Designori think about Castalia?
10. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Knecht and Designori.
1) How are their ideas about life different and how did they form their individual ideas?
2) How do help each other despite their differences?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)