|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do students of Castalia gain entry to a Castalia school?
2. What kind of student is Designori?
3. What does Designori often criticize?
4. What do people think is the only thing Waldzell graduates are good for?
5. Who does the author say the book is intended for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knecht think war will affect Castalia?
2. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
3. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
4. What kind of essay is Life?
5. What does Knecht notice about Designori at the meeting of the directorate?
6. Why is Designori bitter with Castalia?
7. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
8. What is the Golden Book?
9. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
10. Why does Knecht want to renew his friendship with Designori?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Glass Bead Game has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
Why was intellectualism an important issue during this time? In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
What significant changes do you think occurred in Europe during this period?
Does modern society share any values with 1940s Europe?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)