|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees Knecht off at the train station?
2. What subject does Knecht learn from the Abbot?
3. Who does Knecht have to be cleared by before he joins the outside world?
4. What do people think is the only thing Waldzell graduates are good for?
5. What is the Music Master interested in knowing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
2. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
3. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
4. What kind of essay is Life?
5. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
6. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
7. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
8. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
9. What does Knecht tell the Music Master in his letter?
10. What does Designori think about Castalia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the intellectual life.
1) What are intellectuals and how do they view life?
2) What influence have Intellectuals had on popular culture?
3) How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of Intellectual life? How has the intellectual shaped the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Knecht would have coped with the real world had he survived? What meaning does Knecht's death give the novel?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)