|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Magister want a representative for?
2. Who is Knecht delighted could make it to his ceremony?
3. Who lives at Bamboo Grove?
4. What do Knecht and Father Jacobus discuss?
5. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
2. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
3. What does the author say most biographies are?
4. What is special about Waldzell School?
5. How does the author define the modern biographies?
6. What is the Glass Bead Game?
7. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
8. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
9. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
10. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Though the Glass Bead Game is a novel, Hesse writes it as a biography What are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)