|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school does Knecht tell his Music Master he would like to enter?
2. Who shows Knecht around his new school?
3. Who is Knecht delighted could make it to his ceremony?
4. Who does Knecht write to about his dilemma?
5. What religion do people assume that Knecht dabbled in while at the monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Glass Bead Game?
2. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
3. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
4. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
5. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
6. What is the Golden Book?
7. How does the music Master help Knecht?
8. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
9. What kind of essay is Life?
10. What does Knecht tell the Music Master in his letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Knecht's life:
1) The Music Master
3) Father Jacobus
Essay Topic 2
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
Essay Topic 3
What are Knecht's criticisms of the Order? Why has Knecht questioned the Order more than other members have?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)