|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Designori study at university?
2. What was the name of Knecht's first school?
3. Who asks Knecht to write him a yearly letter?
4. What does Knecht like to write?
5. What does Knecht decide to concentrate on instead of the Glass Bead Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
2. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
3. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
4. What does the author say most biographies are?
5. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
6. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
7. What does it mean to be a lifelong member of the Order?
8. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
9. How does the music Master help Knecht?
10. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hesse's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Knecht?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Examine conservatism and liberalism. What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did they both come to the fore in 1940s Europe?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)