|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a student admitted into when he graduates?
2. Who does the author call the historian of literature?
3. What was the second academic subject that the Game embraced?
4. What was the name of Knecht's first school?
5. Who does Knecht write to about his dilemma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
2. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
3. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
4. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
5. What is the Golden Book?
6. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
7. What kind of essay is Life?
8. What advice does the Music Master give Knecht when he leaves for Waldzell?
9. What does Knecht do at Hirsland?
10. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Knecht's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Ishmael hope to achieve in his life?
2) What events changes Knecht's ideas about life?
3) How has Knecht's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are Knecht's criticisms of the Order? Why has Knecht questioned the Order more than other members have?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)