|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of life do people from the Order live?
2. What does Knecht think the Games must be protected from?
3. Why is Knecht different from Mozart and Bach?
4. What kind of school do his teachers recommend him for?
5. What does Knecht have to file every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Knecht think Tegularius is a good Glass Bead player?
2. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
3. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
4. Why does Knecht like the Glass Bead game?
5. How did the Glass Bead Game develop in Europe?
6. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
7. What is the Golden Book?
8. What advice does the Music Master give Knecht when he leaves for Waldzell?
9. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
10. What is the Glass Bead Game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and biography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of a biography? What can novelists express that a biographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
The Glass Bead Game has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)