|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement does the beginning of the Galss Bead Game go back to?
2. What does Designori often criticize?
3. What is Knecht more interested in doing than playing the Glass Bead Game?
4. What is the deputy also known as?
5. What subject does Knecht learn from the Abbot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Glass Bead Game originate?
2. Why does the headmaster call Knecht to his office?
3. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
4. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
5. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
6. What does Knecht have to wait for before he can leave for Mariafels?
7. What does Designori think about Castalia?
8. What does the author know about Knecht's early life?
9. How does the music Master help Knecht?
10. Describe Knecht's visit with the Music Master.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character examine the way Hesse uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Hesse's writing style. How would you describe Hesse's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Hesse's style give to the story?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)